View Full Version : Think just having a scorpion in the house is bad?

okbjjpurple
08-05-2009, 12:40 PM
How about two in your bed???

Yes it really happened to us. I woke up feeling a sharp burn in my finger and started howling like a little girl. Both my wife and I jumped out of bed and flung the blanket back and sure enough there was one of those pecker head scorpions crawling around. I promptly killed it and after a while we went back to bed. Right after my wife tells me how she has a huge phobia about scorpions she lets out the loudest f bomb ever and jumps out again.....I somehow telaported horizontally from the bed out of the room in a split second but turned around to make sure to kill this one too. The stings hurt for a good day or two and then itched for another few days. I sprayed our room and closet with some good stuff and in the process found a few brown recluses too. We live out in the boonies by Tecumseh...Thank god we are moving to OKC...Every night I jump up at least once and turn the light on looking for one of those devil creatures.

MsDarkstar
08-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Wow, that would scare me to the point that I'd shake out my bed linens before getting into bed every night and I'd probably always wear shoes in the house...essentially, I'd be crazy paranoid lol.

Also, your post actually made me LOL here at work.

PennyQuilts
08-06-2009, 12:22 PM
There is no such thing as a scorpion phobia. That makes it sound like a mental illness when, in fact, it shows extreme good judgment and superior intelligence.

They had a news story on last night where some yahoo bought a copperhead snake from a second yahoo who told him that it was a baby python - with predictable results.

Hello????

Jesseda
08-06-2009, 02:39 PM
its been 3 weeks or so since my scorpion incident, i still check the floors and the beds still all the time, i cant believe two in your bed, do u live in the country or neighborhood in the metro?

okbjjpurple
08-06-2009, 06:45 PM
In the country. I wake up about once a night thinking that there is a scorpion crawling on me...not sure how long that will last lol.

And yes we do check the bed now very carefully before going to sleep.

flippity
11-10-2009, 07:44 AM
moving to the city won't guarantee you won't still have some.

kevinpate
11-10-2009, 08:51 AM
There is no such thing as a scorpion phobia. That makes it sound like a mental illness when, in fact, it shows extreme good judgment and superior intelligence.

They had a news story on last night where some yahoo bought a copperhead snake from a second yahoo who told him that it was a baby python - with predictable results.

Hello????

So method 3 of redneck population control still works. Interesting.

MsProudSooner
11-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Ah, the joys of rural living in Okahoma!

My ex had a scorpion fall from the ceiling and sting him on his bald head once!

The best remedy I ever found for scorpion stings was a paste made of water and Adolph's Meat tenderizer. Took all the sting out within 2 or 3 minutes.

PennyQuilts
11-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Love your name, Msproudsooner!

bluedogok
11-10-2009, 08:41 PM
There seem to be a bunch of them down here (Central Texas), we would find a few in our office (ground floor, Southwest Austin out where it starts to get rural) a few times a year. Luckily we have never found any in our house but it is in an older (mid-70's). established area, they office was built in around 2000 and that area is just starting to get development. A friend living in OKC now used to get them all the time on their acreage south of Austin.

Karried
11-10-2009, 09:01 PM
omg.. why oh why did I have to read this right before going to bed? lol... ahhhgggggg!

kevinpate
11-11-2009, 11:40 AM
omg.. why oh why did I have to read this right before going to bed? lol... ahhhgggggg!

Good nite
Sleep tite
don't let the bed scorpions bite

muwhahahahahahaha

Jenn
01-04-2010, 12:54 PM
someone told me they travel in pairs, where there is one there is another. *ick* I'm skeeved out now!

oneforone
01-05-2010, 01:23 AM
I would have demanded they call the other three band members over and play a free concert. Especially after one of them stung me.

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/757206abc4b4ec3b5df7ceb3ca89241a/60730.jpg

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-05-2010, 02:09 AM
I would have demanded they call the other three band members over and play a free concert. Especially after one of them stung me.

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/757206abc4b4ec3b5df7ceb3ca89241a/60730.jpg
The OP killed two of them.

So it would just be a duet. Kinda boring if you ask me.

Fishstick1979
01-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Oh man! That's just terrible. I hate scorpions. Used to get them in my sleeping bag when we went hunting.

Uncle Slayton
01-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Used to have a houseful of them when I lived in Jones. Every time they'd dig up dirt for a new house foundation, we'd get even more coming into our house. My toddler got stung two or three times because she found them interesting and would try to pick them up.

The cat got pretty good at killing them, once he developed a system: hold stinger down with one paw, use other paw to rake/shred.

I worked at a science facility once that was located pretty far out of town, and the damned things would just fall out of the light fixtures onto your desk. One of the other chemists would just toss them into a beaker of whatever concentrated acid he had around.

DaveSkater
03-02-2010, 02:03 PM
We get quite a few of them down at my shop on the river (south meridian). I'll take two styrofoam coffee cups, trap the scorpoin in it, tape them shut then write with a sharpie: "Caution, scorpoin. Do not eat." and leave them in conspicuous places where the bookkeeper and receptionst will see.

You'd be amazed at how many people don't believe there's actually a live scorpion in it! They just have to look. With predictable resultant expressions! hah

(fiddlebacks get the same treatment too. I even found a black widow and a rattlesnake down here once)

MuseMOKC
03-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Wow that made me cringe! I'm checking my closets now. Yikes!

soonerguru
06-21-2010, 04:51 PM
moving to the city won't guarantee you won't still have some.

Bingo. I lived downtown and killed a few scorpions in my brand new apartment as well as numerous brown recluse spiders. Unfortunately, brown recluses are terribly common in most houses in Oklahoma, and scorpions are abundant as well.

Fortunately, I've never had scorpions in bed with me. Yikes.