View Full Version : Best Desserts

Journey
08-05-2009, 09:43 AM
Curious as to if there's a consensus about best dessert in the OKC metro area. My vote goes to the ice cream ball at Cheever's.

lasomeday
08-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Kahlua Torte at Cafe Pranzo!

metro
08-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Good call Journey. Flip's also has an outstanding homemade Tiramisu. I love the warm fudge spoon cake at Red Prime too.

emy
08-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Everything I've had from La Baguette has been awesome, but the carrot cake is my favorite.

knightunder
08-05-2009, 06:44 PM
founders favorite at coldstone creamery in edmond hands down

Easy180
08-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Been a couple of years so it might have changed but the key lime at Abuelo's is excellent

Food is so so but the sopapilla's at Poblano are the best...Can't beat the frosting/syrup on top...Also excellent at Casa Perico

warreng88
08-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Snickers at the Melting Pot. If you don't know, the Melting Pot is a fondue restaurant and one of the "off the menu" items is where they put peanut butter, caramel and chocolate into the fondue pot and then you dip an array of treats into it. A-mazing....

MsDarkstar
08-06-2009, 11:33 AM
-Pretty much anything from La Baguette, but I love the chocolate mice (which I've just about figured out an easy way to recreate at home!)
-Crepe Myrtle in Stillwater has yummy crepe based desserts

A couple of desserts that I miss
-the chocolate chip banana cake from Cheeseburger in Paradise
-the fried brownie sundae from Garfields

metro
08-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Speaking of La Baguette, there chocolate cigars are delicious.

RealJimbo
08-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Bread pudding at La Baguette

Carrot cake at G.P.'s BBQ Grill

Bananas foster from my kitchen (peach melba and cherries jubilee are pretty good too)

JuJuBeans
10-24-2009, 12:49 PM
The new and improved 'Chocolate Ganache Terrine' at The Museum Cafe which is a flourless chocolate cake, layered with dark chocolate mousse, and white chocolate ganache. I also have always loved the 'Fresh Strawberry Cake' from La Baguette.

dismayed
10-25-2009, 11:02 AM
I second the desserts at Flip's and La Baguette.

Something not mentioned yet: try the tres leches at 1492 sometime. Good stuff.

easternobserver
10-25-2009, 11:41 AM
key lime pie at the iguana
tempura bananas at musashis

alan
10-25-2009, 11:00 PM
I second the desserts at Flip's and La Baguette.

Something not mentioned yet: try the tres leches at 1492 sometime. Good stuff.

oh man, tres leches made correctly is worth killing for. didn't know 1492 had it. gotta try it now.

nik4411
10-25-2009, 11:11 PM
what exactly is it?

lasomeday
10-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Bahama Breeze had an amazing chocolate tres leches cake! I loved it! I miss that place.

OKCMallen
10-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Flip's also has an outstanding homemade Tiramisu.
:congrats:

alan
10-26-2009, 06:02 PM
what exactly is it?

A Tres leches cake, or Pastel de Tres leches (Spanish, "Three milk cake"), or Pan de Tres Leches (Spanish, "Three milk bread"), is a sponge cake—in some recipes, a butter cake—soaked in three kinds of milk: evaporated milk, condensed milk, and heavy cream. When butter is not used, the tres leches is a very light cake, with many air bubbles. This distinct texture is why it does not have a soggy consistency, despite being soaked in a mixture of three types of milk.

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tres_leches)

Pete
10-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Is the strawberry banana cake at Leo's still as good as it used to be?

I still crave it!

RealJimbo
11-09-2009, 12:37 PM
OK, the thread is desserts, so here is an easy one for you to try at home. BE CAREFUL!!!

Bananas Foster

1 stick of real butter
1 cup of light brown sugar
1 orange
1 lemon
3-4 bananas
¼ cup rum (I prefer Bacardi 151)
Vanilla Ice Cream (I prefer Braum’s French Vanilla)
Ground nutmeg

Melt butter and brown sugar in medium skillet over medium heat. Add juice of orange and lemon. Leave on medium heat until liquid reduces. Slice bananas lengthwise and cut in thirds. Place in sauce and heat until bananas are warm. Do not “cook” the bananas or they will get too soft and lose their color. Add rum to mixture, spreading it over the surface. Ignite (very carefully) the rum and allow to flame until it goes out on its own.

Have ice cream ready in bowls (approx 4-6 servings) and spoon the bananas and sauce over the ice cream. Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg if desired and serve.

Note: I scoop the ice cream ahead of time and put it in the freezer for about an hour or so. I also let everyone know when I’m going to flame the sauce and turn out the lights for dramatic effect.

This recipe is from memory (used many, many times successfully) from the waiter at Diamond Jim's in the Hyatt at Orlando. I had this March 30, 1981. How do I remember that? That is the day Ronald Regan was shot and I was at a conference that included a trade show where there was ONE television set and everyone was gathered around it when the news came.

This is not the only recipe for Bananas Foster, but it is probably the simplest. Give it a try.

Wambo36
11-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Is the strawberry banana cake at Leo's still as good as it used to be?

I still crave it!

It's still great. My wife gets one for my birthday some years. It is absolutely something you'll crave once you've tried it.

Mballard85
11-10-2009, 02:18 PM
The County Line BBQ has a homemade bread pudding that is made with their homemade bread, homemade ice cream and a cream-based Jack Daniels bourbon sauce. It is really good.

icecold
11-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Brownies at Ingrids.....I try not to but it seems impossible for me not to get one.

RealJimbo
11-10-2009, 03:57 PM
The County Line BBQ has a homemade bread pudding that is made with their homemade bread, homemade ice cream and a cream-based Jack Daniels bourbon sauce. It is really good.

Ooooooh! That sounds sooooo good! I love bread pudding, but the combination sounds irresistible.

RealJimbo
11-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Brownies at Ingrids.....I try not to but it seems impossible for me not to get one.

There is absolutely nothing in the dessert cases at Ingrids that isn't good. I've tried most of it.

alan
11-12-2009, 04:41 PM
There is absolutely nothing in the dessert cases at Ingrids that isn't good. I've tried most of it.

yup. go for the sunday brunch and you get to try nearly everything. enjoyed the bread pudding and warm chocolate cake last time i went.

(my favorite sunday buffet in okc. by far.)

flippity
11-17-2009, 11:15 AM
CocoFlow has awesome gelato..and other stuff too.

My favorite dessert in town is the chocolate lava cake at the Mantel.

flippity
11-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Coco Flow - also truffles...mmm...truffles.

betts
11-18-2009, 12:31 AM
My favorites, and I can't really pick one. Depends on my mood:

Chocolate fauvee at the Coach House
Pot de creme at the Metro
Chocolate bread pudding at Saturn
In the past I would have said the Bananas Foster at the Ranch, but they changed it and I don't like the new one.