View Full Version : Interurban @ 240 closes...Poblano Grill to Open

phl1331
08-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Surprised to find the Interurban at I-240 & Penn closed today. Sign on the door says Poblano Grill will open in their place. I called the new Interurban location in Norman and the manager said Poblano offered a deal that they couldn't refuse.

jbkrems
08-05-2009, 05:48 AM
That's a shame. Interurban at I-240 was one of their better stores (cleanest store with best service of all of them).

Charlie40
08-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Food had sorta gone downhill the last time we ate there, which was about a month ago. So how does Poblano grill compare to Teds?

bombermwc
08-05-2009, 10:46 AM
What is the deal with this place. Everywhere they go they open a new nice building and then close it after a few years. They weren't bad when they were in MWC...and were always busy. Then they close...few years later, open back up on 240 after closing their previous 240 store. Now they're closing again?!?!

I like Pablano. Like Ted's, there nothing authentic about it, but it's still tastey. It's far less greasy than Chelino's and all the other similiar places. Me gusto the cilantro chicken quesadilla. LOL. And they make some good mashed potatoes with all kinds of spices. And the corn is that thicker stuff with green chilis. I like it anyway.

SoonerDave
08-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Surprised to find the Interurban at I-240 & Penn closed today. Sign on the door says Poblano Grill will open in their place. I called the new Interurban location in Norman and the manager said Poblano offered a deal that they couldn't refuse.

DARN!!!!!

This was EASILY one of my favorite restaurants - great variety, consistent quality (had been there several times), and enough diversity to keep my family happy, which can be no small chore :)

And for yet another freaking Mexican restaurant??? Geez, no offense to the Mexican food crowd, but does EVERYTHING have to turn into a freaking taco stand??

Sorry, just the news about losing Interurban has made me grumpy. Am I the only one who thinks we're just a little oversaturated with Mexican food places??? You've got at least four sit-down Mex. locations within five minutes, and heaven only knows how many fast-food Mex locations closer still...

* sigh * (grumble)

jbkrems
08-05-2009, 09:37 PM
I was in the Edmond Interurban tonight for dinner. I asked my waitress what she knew about the I-240 and Penn store closing, and she said it was a shame, and that they were not making any money there, or at least not enough to stay open. She agreed with me that the place had the best service overall of all the restaurants, and also that it was the cleanest, etc.

Martin
08-05-2009, 09:42 PM
i wasn't a huge fan of interurban... i liked the atmosphere. i liked the menu... but the food itself just wasn't spectacular to me. however, i totally agree with the sentiment that we have plenty of texmex places to choose from... i'd much rather see more diversity.

-M

bombermwc
08-06-2009, 08:07 AM
The sad truth to it is though, they all thrive. You don't even have to make good Tex-Mex to stay open. Even the nasty greasy ones stay open longer than Interurban.

SoonerDave
08-07-2009, 12:46 PM
The sad truth to it is though, they all thrive. You don't even have to make good Tex-Mex to stay open. Even the nasty greasy ones stay open longer than Interurban.

Sad but true. At some point the differentiation issue becomes so granular you realize they CAN'T be that different anymore...I mean, geez, how many ways are there to sling meat in a shell and sprinkle lettuce on it.

In case you can't tell, YES, I'm still grumpy about losing Interurban. No, it wasn't exciting, OMIGOSH food, but it was a really nice, clean, well-kept place that had at least this illusion of an upscale quality to it, diverse menu, good service, and now its gone....(insert cartoon swear words here).

bombermwc
08-10-2009, 08:06 AM
It would be nice if someone would isntead open a actual AUTHENTIC mexican place. Somewhere that didn't just serve this crap like enchiladas and queso. Actual stuff like Carne Asada, dishes with Chorrizo (sp?), lamb, veggies. That sort of thing. Drop all this tex-mex junk and let the world try the real stuff.

Or better yet, add in some carribean and south american dishes...maybe even some spanish. Paella...mmmmm

metro
08-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Well have you tried anything in Capitol Hill, Stockyards City, SW 29th or SW 44th, or even Big Truck Taco's over on NW 23rd? How about any of the authentic taco vans around town?

SouthsideSooner
08-11-2009, 01:23 AM
It would be nice if someone would isntead open a actual AUTHENTIC mexican place. Somewhere that didn't just serve this crap like enchiladas and queso. Actual stuff like Carne Asada, dishes with Chorrizo (sp?), lamb, veggies. That sort of thing. Drop all this tex-mex junk and let the world try the real stuff.

Tacos San Pedro on SW 44th between May and Penn.

There's a very good reason why they're always busy...

bombermwc
08-11-2009, 07:30 AM
Exactlly. I've been to San Pedro before. For some reason, people just aren't putting these places out there in the mix of the rest of town. If people had the opportunity to try the stuff, I think they'd be surprised and like it.

soonerfan_in_okc
08-12-2009, 12:13 AM
poblanos is good, but they are all EXACTLY the same.

Dustin
08-12-2009, 02:10 AM
Hi guys and gals.. im new here. Anyways..

I love pablano grill!! im more of a tex-mex kinda guy rather than authentic.. The more pablano grills the better!

jbrown84
08-12-2009, 09:18 PM
bomber, try Mariscos la Costa on SW 25th & May. Best chicken fajitas in town and great authentic coastal mexican. Tiny little place.