View Full Version : Tulsa eyeing 2020 Olympics?

Pages : [1] 2

cattleman
08-04-2009, 03:37 PM
It would be great for the whole state of Oklahoma, but it does seem a little far fetched.

Tulsa World: Committee eyes possible Tulsa bid for Olympics (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20090804_11_0_TheTul998361)

Luke
08-04-2009, 03:48 PM
It would be great for the whole state of Oklahoma, but it does seem a little far fetched.

Tulsa World: Committee eyes possible Tulsa bid for Olympics (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20090804_11_0_TheTul998361)

In my pre-libertarian days, I pushed for OKC 2024. There's probably a thread lyin' around here about that still.

While it would be great to see Tulsa get it, the financial burden it brings seems to be not very worth it.

OKCisOK4me
08-04-2009, 04:02 PM
I was laughing as I read that. Not that it would be great for Tulsa, but seriously? What are the facilities available? Where's their Olympic size swimming pool like the one China had?! If it's there now, I've never seen it. If they're going to build that, who pays for it? Where's their world class track? And even if they build all of this for 2020, who's gonna use it afterward?

Good luck T-town.

Steve
08-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Nobody has the facilities prior to landing the Olympics; it's basically an event-driven Urban Renewal effort that when done right can produce benefits for years to come.

USG '60
08-04-2009, 04:11 PM
China is stuck with some useless masive dinosaurs. Tulsa better have a solid plan for re-use. Surely they will see the light.

dalelakin
08-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Nope zero nada nill none not even in a remote possible bizzaro universe does this have a chance. I am not even going to go into the venues that are not there then consider the lack of hotels and transportation limitation oh my the list is WAAAAAYYY to long to even consider why it will not happen.

It was good for a good chuckle though.

venture
08-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Most cities that host the Olympics get done in by mountains of debt afterwards. Tulsa also doesn't have the infrastructure to support something like this. Honestly, if they want to pull this off, they MUST partner with OKC to do such a thing. There are plenty of situations where events are held a hundred or so miles away from the main host city. Whether that is OKC or Tulsa, both cities can host numerous events.

But then after spending the billions in dollars for such facilities, security, housing, etc...what are you going to do afterwards? Olympic Stadium in Atlanta was chopped in half and became the new Braves home. What are we doing to do with a 100,000 seat stadium here? The only thing we have close to that now is Memorial Stadium and I don't see OU playing home games in OKC or Tulsa.

Now thinking more OKC instead of Tulsa here...you'll need a large events center for the indoor competitions - gymnastics and basketball. The smaller indoor events or basketball games could go to the Cox and Ford centers.

An aquatics center would be needed for the swimming and other water competitions. We have nothing that can meet that right now. A venue for the track cycling events, unless another facility can adapt. Tennis stadium for those matches.

I suppose we could do something to where existing venues can get upgraded...such as the Cox and Ford centers, the Bricktown Ballpark, Hall of Fame Stadium, but we still need additional venues. Though if something like this would take place, the newly built venues could be used after the fact such as for a new downtown convention center and such.

Regardless of all those high hopes...how do you pay for it? The state is already hurting and the city doesn't have that much dough. And what if they do come up with the funds? Ticket sales have been weak at these events and the government will be crushed by the burden of debt. Not to mention the infrastructure is not even there to support this. Unless they can justify increasing the terminal and customs capacity at Will Rogers and Tulsa for such a short time, we'll have to rely on funnel passengers from other domestic hubs. Then you can get into hotel rooms, ground transportation, mass transit, etc.

DM1031
08-04-2009, 04:40 PM
alot of cities put in bids, its like the lottery, you dont think you'll win, but you gotta play.

USG '60
08-04-2009, 04:49 PM
But the ones who "win" are the losers in the end.

hipsterdoofus
08-04-2009, 05:57 PM
I laughed out loud - sorry - I also laughed at OKC hosting them anytime soon and OKC has a hundred times better chance. Do they have any idea what they lack? Hotel rooms, international airport....etc etc. They have to just be doing this as a gimmick. It isn't even close to realistic.

Richard at Remax
08-04-2009, 05:58 PM
the more logical thing for me would be dallas metroplex to host it and have all the rowing stuff here. Now that would be fine by me

hoya
08-04-2009, 06:15 PM
While it's certainly far-fetched, some of you are acting as though hosting the Olympics would be a bad thing. I'll tell you now, if they approached us and said "We'll give it to OKC in 2020 if you want," we'd be crazy not to take it.

krisb
08-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Maybe by then we'll have high-speed rail between OKC and Tulsa. Then we can share facilities, hotel rooms, infrastructure, debt. Can't see how they'd do a Tulsa olympics without including the Oklahoma River. Also, they could have the BOk Center for some events and the Ford Center for others. Would such a partnership even be possible or are the Olympics strictly one-city?

Pete
08-04-2009, 06:54 PM
The Atlanta Olympics was considered somewhat of a failure because of the limited transportation system, among other things. The general fear -- expressed before the games -- was more of less realized: That Atlanta just didn't have the infrastructure as a city (apart from sports venues) to be a good host.

There was constant outcry regarding logistics and horror stories of bus-jams and taking hours just to get from one place to another.

Now, compare Atlanta to even the Tulsa/OKC combination. Atlanta has one of the busiest airports in the world and a decent subway system, plus a much more compact setting served by a well-established bus system.

Our state, unfortunately, has none of these things -- or anywhere close to them.

soonerguru
08-04-2009, 09:07 PM
No offense to Tulsa, but what a joke.

hipsterdoofus
08-04-2009, 09:09 PM
the more logical thing for me would be dallas metroplex to host it and have all the rowing stuff here. Now that would be fine by me

Now there is a wonderful (and just slightly more attainable) idea.

brianinok
08-04-2009, 09:40 PM
the more logical thing for me would be dallas metroplex to host it and have all the rowing stuff here. Now that would be fine by meA voice of reason in the midst of this ridiculous story.

Spartan
08-04-2009, 11:15 PM
It would be great for Tulsa but they don't meet a single one of the thresholds in the host city application and the 2020 Summer Games are already going to Africa, most likely. Cape Town and Durban are competing so far, but Johannesburg could throw its hat in the ring, too. It will be either Cape Town or Jo'burg, if they apply. Not Tulsa..

metro
08-05-2009, 07:40 AM
I suppose we could do something to where existing venues can get upgraded...such as the Cox and Ford centers, the Bricktown Ballpark, Hall of Fame Stadium, but we still need additional venues. Though if something like this would take place, the newly built venues could be used after the fact such as for a new downtown convention center and such.

COX center will be 50 years old in 2020. Even with renovations, it won't be Olympic caliber. I suppose we could turn it into "The Cube" as an aquatics center, but after the Olympics, again it's not really the best use of land space. Sorry, but all of those venues are a joke when it comes to the Olympic stage.

I laughed out loud - sorry - I also laughed at OKC hosting them anytime soon and OKC has a hundred times better chance. Do they have any idea what they lack? Hotel rooms, international airport....etc etc. They have to just be doing this as a gimmick. It isn't even close to realistic.

True, but they'll probably get some positive press just for applying. I'm sure that's what they are really trying to do, turn a few eyes to Tulsa since OKC has been stealing the spotlight for quite sometime. Might get a few eyes looking at Tulsa and our state.

Maybe by then we'll have high-speed rail between OKC and Tulsa. Then we can share facilities, hotel rooms, infrastructure, debt. Can't see how they'd do a Tulsa olympics without including the Oklahoma River. Also, they could have the BOk Center for some events and the Ford Center for others. Would such a partnership even be possible or are the Olympics strictly one-city?

BOK and FORD center would have to host smaller events, they aren't Olympic size or caliber for the larger events.

The Atlanta Olympics was considered somewhat of a failure because of the limited transportation system, among other things. The general fear -- expressed before the games -- was more of less realized: That Atlanta just didn't have the infrastructure as a city (apart from sports venues) to be a good host.

There was constant outcry regarding logistics and horror stories of bus-jams and taking hours just to get from one place to another.

Now, compare Atlanta to even the Tulsa/OKC combination. Atlanta has one of the busiest airports in the world and a decent subway system, plus a much more compact setting served by a well-established bus system.

Our state, unfortunately, has none of these things -- or anywhere close to them.

I was at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics for the entire duration and volunteered at some of the events. I didn't see them as a failure in any way. MARTA seemed to run on time (although full plenty of times). I thought they hosted it very well and crowds were decent but respectable. Highways could get ridiculously congested at times, but nothing Atlanta hasn't experienced before or after Olympics. I used car, bus, and rail when I was there and we never had to wait much that I can remember. I lived outside Atlanta for a year a few years after the Olympics as well. I agree the entire state of Oklahoma's infrastructure doesn't even compare to Atlanta's so unless California falls into the ocean and everyone moves to Oklahoma, I don't see us having a realistic chance of hosting it, knowing first hand what it takes. I agree with Pete.

Jesseda
08-05-2009, 07:46 AM
tulas smart at just putting the bid in, look we are all talking about tulsa now

adaniel
08-05-2009, 07:49 AM

For what its worth, DFW put in a bid for the 2012 olympics and was turned down. Also, I don't know how true this is, but I heard that the Olympic Committee would be hesitant to host an event in the American South becuase they found Atlanta to be too hot.

Pete
08-05-2009, 08:41 AM
I was at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics for the entire duration and volunteered at some of the events. I didn't see them as a failure in any way

That is not the overriding view and certainly not that of the Olympic committee.

It was the most criticized games in recent history.

metro
08-05-2009, 08:47 AM
I'm not arguing that, but from my perspective and the people I interacted with (fans and people on the street) everyone seemed to be pleased. I didn't run into one person who seemed upset about the Olympics. But I understand where the Olympic committee might be coming from and the park bombing didn't help the positive PR.

BDP
08-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Oh, I don't know, they did just get a Hard Rock and maybe there's a Congressman from Utah that can funnel some infrastructure money back this way...

; )

OKCMallen
08-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Most cities that host the Olympics get done in by mountains of debt afterwards. Tulsa also doesn't have the infrastructure to support something like this.

They don't have the infrastructure to handle rush-hour on I-44 on 31st - 81st and Memorial.

This is a retardedly stupid stupid idea.

hipsterdoofus
08-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Maybe OKC can put in a bid for the world cup ;-)

bombermwc
08-05-2009, 10:43 AM

Exactlly. Does Tulsa think they stand a chance of winning? Absolutely not. However, it gets their name out there. People that wouldn't have talked about Tulsa before, are/will now. It's exposure folks. How many cities "bid" each time without even a hope of winning? A LOT!

bluedogok
08-05-2009, 10:58 AM
For what its worth, DFW put in a bid for the 2012 olympics and was turned down. Also, I don't know how true this is, but I heard that the Olympic Committee would be hesitant to host an event in the American South becuase they found Atlanta to be too hot.
Here is a breakdown of the US bids for the 2012 games.

GamesBids.com - 2012 - USA (http://www.gamesbids.com/english/bids/usa.shtml)

Tulsa (nor OKC) comes anywhere close to meeting the criteria, plus Tulsa's city gov't had a hard time getting an arena and a ballpark built let alone a billion or so of infrastructure improvements. You can dream big but you can also be off your rocker delusional.

DM1031
08-05-2009, 11:42 AM
its a group of local businessmen that put this commitee together, they have no intentions of ever getting it even considered, but hey, its got people talking, and in that, they have succeeded.

and for the record, no way we could ever actually pull it off, some of those poor people would die in Oklahoma summer heat, even the Nigerian runners would say, "damn its hot here"

OKCMallen
08-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Exactlly. Does Tulsa think they stand a chance of winning? Absolutely not. However, it gets their name out there. People that wouldn't have talked about Tulsa before, are/will now. It's exposure folks. How many cities "bid" each time without even a hope of winning? A LOT!

Whatever, they just look retarded. That's not good pub. What do you honestly think they'll get out of it?

In_Tulsa
08-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Whatever, they just look retarded. That's not good pub. What do you honestly think they'll get out of it?

You'll See Soon!!!!

dalelakin
08-05-2009, 12:58 PM
You'll See Soon!!!!

Lemme guess you have blurry pictures of it to prove you have seen it before anyone else...oh wait...wrong...uhm...never mind.:sofa:

BDP
08-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Make sure they staple a picture of this to the front of the proposal:

http://blogs.journalrecord.com/files/2008/03/domestadium2.jpg

bluepickle
08-05-2009, 02:14 PM

Wrong, we are all laughing at Tulsa now.

In_Tulsa
08-05-2009, 02:17 PM
2020 Summer Olympics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Summer_Olympics)

USG '60
08-05-2009, 02:21 PM
2020 Summer Olympics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Summer_Olympics)"A Tulsa group is trying to gather support to conduct feasibility studies for a Green Country Games." Yep, looks like a lock to me.

In_Tulsa
08-05-2009, 02:42 PM
I've got family in LA and they called me this morning to tell me they did a whole story on Tulsa trying for the olympics this morning on Fox11. We will not get the olympics but people all over are looking up Tulsa on the internet and news outlets are doing stories on Tulsa so I guess it worked. Go Tulsa that's smart!!!!

metro
08-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Thought it was also laughable that Birmingham, AL is a potential bidder.

CuatrodeMayo
08-05-2009, 03:54 PM
This makes “Core to Shore” look like the best idea ever… at The Lost Ogle (http://www.thelostogle.com/2009/08/05/this-makes-core-to-shore-look-like-the-best-idea-ever/)

BDP
08-05-2009, 04:01 PM
I've got family in LA and they called me this morning to tell me they did a whole story on Tulsa trying for the olympics this morning on Fox11.

:yourock:

bombermwc
08-06-2009, 08:12 AM
DRP - lol - the toilet bowl strikes again.

But that's exactlly it. If someone in LA did a story, even if people see it as "Tulsa? HAHAHA" then at least they are talking about Tulsa. And they're looking it up online. People are talking about it and actually learning about Tulsa. Does anyone think they have a chance in hell of getting it...No. But "that's not the point, my friend".

It's actually a good props to Tulsa for being smart enough to do it. Personally, I'd rather see a proposal that stood a chance of being examine. Tulsa will just fall into the same group of first rounders that get marked off without question or hesitation. But again, that's not the point.

hipsterdoofus
08-06-2009, 01:50 PM
We will not get the olympics but people all over are looking up Tulsa on the internet and news outlets are doing stories on Tulsa so I guess it worked. Go Tulsa that's smart!!!!

By it worked, do you mean it got people saying "yep, lotta idiots in Oklahoma"

In_Tulsa
08-06-2009, 01:52 PM
By it worked, do you mean it got people saying "yep, lotta idiots in Oklahoma"

No there saying WOW there is a BIG city in Oklahoma it's Tulsa

USG '60
08-06-2009, 02:03 PM
No there saying WOW there is a BIG city in Oklahoma it's TulsaAre you a typical graduate of Tulsa's school? Do you speak English any better than you write it? Do your letters get to where you send them?

bbhill
08-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Are you a typical graduate of Tulsa's school? Do you speak English any better than you write it? Do your letters get to where you send them?

lol. I would imagine the post office is fairly accustomed to poorly addressed letters.

As for Tulsa vying for a 2020 olympic bid, I think its a bit soon. As everyone has said, this is most likely a recognition/publicity stunt. There are many other more viable cities that don't lack basic infrastructure needs like okc and tulsa.

In_Tulsa
08-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Are you a typical graduate of Tulsa's school? Do you speak English any better than you write it? Do your letters get to where you send them?

what i do wong i dnt no ican spall goood so wats up/

Luke
08-06-2009, 02:18 PM
While I'm guessing it's a publicity stunt, I think it's a good one.

It can't hurt.

Just because locals may realize that Tulsa isn't capable of hosting an Olympics, doesn't mean everyone else is.

metro
08-06-2009, 02:45 PM
No there saying WOW there is a BIG city in Oklahoma it's Tulsa

Okay let them think Tulsa is the Big City in Oklahoma, while OKC will continue living it out in reality. It's this very mindset that let Tulsa get passed. The people who saw this "LA article about Tulsa" are going to be very disappointed to see this "big city" if any of them that read/saw it actually decide to visit tulsa.

In_Tulsa
08-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Okay let them think Tulsa is the Big City in Oklahoma, while OKC will continue living it out in reality. It's this very mindset that let Tulsa get passed. The people who saw this "LA article about Tulsa" are going to be very disappointed to see this "big city" if any of them that read/saw it actually decide to visit tulsa.

I can't believe you are that out of your mind to think OKC has "Passed Tulsa" in anyway !! Wow that is crazy talk !!!!!! :LolLolLol

metro
08-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Yeah the downtown Tulsa streetlife is hoppin, and I hear the crowds coming out of the BOK Center have lots of options within walking distance.

acpaxton1
08-06-2009, 02:58 PM
They discussed this on Pardon the Interruption on ESPN yesterday afternoon. They both laughed about it and Tony said that he's putting in a bid to host the 2024 Olympics in his backyard. So yeah, nationally people are really impressed.

In_Tulsa
08-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Yeah the downtown Tulsa streetlife is hoppin, and I hear the crowds coming out of the BOK Center have lots of options within walking distance.

You got that right. Downtown Tulsa is coming to life and will be "the place to be" soon. So put that in your pipe and smoke it!! :LolLolLol

Floyd
08-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Let's be clear: this "Tulsa Olympic Committee" is just five delusional dudes with a bad PowerPoint presentation that they gave in front of the City Council. Tulsa World reported it and the wire services picked it up. No one serious in Tulsa is giving this the time of day. The local media is mocking it. Everyone except them knows it's a joke.

bombermwc
08-07-2009, 08:29 AM
In_Tulsa - um apparently anytime I've been in Tulsa, I must have missed the crowds downtown....at all. Were they hiding somewhere? Bricktown has people there every night of the week.

You would be hard pressed to find areas where Tulsa hasn't lapsed behind OKC after Maps passed. And once the next round goes through....Vision 2020 just doesn't have the "vision" to make much impact.

metro
08-07-2009, 08:49 AM
I'll be in Tulsa tomorrow so I'm looking forward to see "the place to be" and all the crowds. I might even check out all the speculative sites for the Olympic venues while I'm there....then spend a few grand at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino and follow it up with living large at TBK Bar & Grill. Now that's entertainment!

CuatrodeMayo
08-07-2009, 08:56 AM
http://teoten.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/dont_feed_the_trolls.jpg

jbrown84
08-07-2009, 09:59 PM
This makes “Core to Shore” look like the best idea ever… at The Lost Ogle (http://www.thelostogle.com/2009/08/05/this-makes-core-to-shore-look-like-the-best-idea-ever/)

"There was more stuff to do in the Atlanta airport than there is to do in Tulsa on a Friday night."

:bow:

Follow them on Twitter @Tulsa2020 :wink:

Bunty
08-08-2009, 06:13 PM
I've gathered from reading this thread that Oklahoma City people are highly jeolous that Tulsa dared to think of hosting the 2020 Summer Olympics before Oklahoma City got around to it. Oh, well, maybe in return Oklahoma City can try to beat Tulsa with an offer of hosting the 2024 Summer Olympics.

bluedogok
08-08-2009, 06:16 PM
No, just laughable....just like it would be if some OKC leaders said the same thing.

OUGrad05
08-08-2009, 09:03 PM
This is the most absurd and ridiculous proposal in the history of the state, you'd be amazed how many tulsans are taking this nonsense seriously :(