View Full Version : Oklahoma City - under the radar at mcmag.com

Platemaker
08-03-2009, 09:42 AM
A nice article from Meetings & Conventions Magazine showcasing four 'hot' convention cities.

"Oklahoma City. Grand Rapids. Mobile. Syracuse. These are not names that conjure images of glitz, glamour and excess -- and that's precisely why these cities suddenly are hot."

M&C (http://mcmag.com/article_ektid26872.aspx?terms=*oklahoma+city*)

Notice that the first paragraph is about Stockyards City and our western heritage. I think it's pretty clear that outsiders are intrigued by this, and we should showcase it. It really disappoints me that what is intrinsic to the real culture of OKC is that same thing that some of the more progressive people in this city want to hide the most. Why can’t we be cosmo cowboys and Indians?

mugofbeer
08-03-2009, 10:17 AM
That was a great article. Those who resist C2S and putting public money into it should read this. Its a great example of how public seed money has led to great successes in OKC.

FritterGirl
08-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Why can’t we be cosmo cowboys and Indians?

The CVB is coming out with a new group toursim campaign that is exactly this, playing on the overall "Cool & Warm" theme. Campaign plays on both our historical, cowboy culture and our hip, urban culture and how they mix well together.

Pete
08-03-2009, 11:20 AM
That's great, FritterGirl.

I used to be of the mind we should downplay the more 'rustic' parts of the city/state but now I see it as completely opposite.

OKC should embrace those things that make it unique while at the same time offering more cosmopolitan aspects. The cities in Texas have been doing this for a long time, and with great success.

Millie
08-03-2009, 11:59 AM
A nice article from Meetings & Conventions Magazine showcasing four 'hot' convention cities.

Notice that the first paragraph is about Stockyards City and our western heritage. I think it's pretty clear that outsiders are intrigued by this, and we should showcase it. It really disappoints me that what is intrinsic to the real culture of OKC is that same thing that some of the more progressive people in this city want to hide the most. Why can’t we be cosmo cowboys and Indians?

Apparently because people will make fun of us at the airport, according to previous threads here.

dismayed
08-03-2009, 07:21 PM

"Oklahoma City. Grand Rapids. Mobile. Syracuse. These are not names that conjure images of glitz, glamour and excess -- and that's precisely why these cities suddenly are hot."

M&C (http://mcmag.com/article_ektid26872.aspx?terms=*oklahoma+city*)

I think the big problem is just finding that happy balance between the modern and our heritage. I think that most folks don't want to see the, well, more embarrassing aspects of that heritage played up, which unfortunately seems to happen a lot. But we have this fantastic story of the pioneer spirit, people traveling to the edges of civilization to make a home for themselves against all odds... And we have such fantastic, and somber, history of so many Native American tribes going back thousands of years here. I really think that things like the Stockyards, the Land Run Monument, and hopefully in the near future the Native American Museum are exactly these types of things that we need to showcase in our city.

mugofbeer
08-03-2009, 07:24 PM
One thought I have had on that subject is that all of our heritage attractions are scattered about the city. Its too bad they couldn't be closer so a heritage district would be possible. Anyway, the one area that needs some new work and expansion is the stockyards area. Ft. Worth's puts ours to shame.

Platemaker
08-04-2009, 10:01 AM
One thought I have had on that subject is that all of our heritage attractions are scattered about the city. Its too bad they couldn't be closer so a heritage district would be possible.

In dream land...
The Exchange Avenue Streetcar from downtown connecting at Sheridan... problem solved.