View Full Version : businesses in other states you wish would locate here.

Pages : [1] 2

evh5150
08-02-2009, 05:33 AM
what business(es) that currently exist in other states do you wish would expand into oklahoma and open for business here that currenty hold no locations here?

any business: restaurant, fitness center, department store, hotel, etc, etc, etc.

personally, id like to see la fitness. one of my favorite out-of-state bookstores finally made it here to oklahoma city: half price books located on the northeast corner of 63rd and may avenue. (i know, it was a plug..but they are great!)

kbsooner
08-02-2009, 06:50 AM
I know its been beat to death, but I really think IKEA would do well here. Being a "destination" type shopping experience, I guess somewhere in Lower Brick would make sense near Bass Pro. Not sure how blue and yellow would flow there. I always hear of friends making day trips to Texas to hit up IKEA.

I also think a Dave & Busters (or similar concept) done right would do well in the lower levels of Rock Island Plow. I think the teenager demographic is not served to its capacity in Bricktown.

Luke
08-02-2009, 07:28 AM
I love the idea of an IKEA being here, but not in Bricktown. One ugly big box mistake in an urban landscape is enough.

GQofOklahoma
08-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Costco. Whole Foods. Ikea. Urban Outfitters. These are all businesses I travel out of state (usually texas) to shop at. I'd love to keep the extra tax revenue here.

mikesimpsons82
08-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Ruby Tuesday. Fry's.

Jon27
08-02-2009, 11:11 AM
costco.

+1

lasomeday
08-02-2009, 11:14 AM
IKEA
Costco
Whole Foods
H&M
Central Market
Nike Outlet
Brooks Brothers

HVAC Instructor
08-02-2009, 11:14 AM
A Kroger grocery store would be nice: Kroger - Home (http://www.kroger.com/Pages/default.aspx)

And maybe a Publix: Welcome to Publix Super Markets, Inc. (http://www.publix.com/)

Lots of room for improvement in the grocery business here.

mburlison
08-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Krogers definitely, that's become our grocer of choice here in Plano, I think the 1st couple of time IKEA seemed cool, but after that, its 'not so much' and a big pain if you actually buy something and have to wait in that line ! A software world HQ would be nice, department store HQ (i.e., Plano w/ J.C. Penny), some sort of big-name financial group(s) too.

HVAC Instructor
08-02-2009, 12:14 PM
HEB stores are great too. We saw those while vacationing on a ranch in the Texas hill country last spring. They had anything and everything!

H-E-B — Here Everything's Better. (http://www.heb.com/welcome/index.jsp)

bluedogok
08-02-2009, 02:28 PM
My dad wishes HEB was up there as well after his visits to see us here in Austin.

jbkrems
08-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Restaurants: California Pizza Kitchen, Houlihan's, Pappadeauxs, to name a few.

bluedogok
08-02-2009, 02:48 PM
I think Pappadeaux is overrated, there is one right by my wife's office in North Austin and it is alright. I have heard the Houston area ones are better but there are better Cajun food options down there as well. There are better options in OKC already there with Bourbon Street, Pearl's and whatever they call Cajun Kitchen now.

I probably eat at CPK too often, it is across the street from my office in The Domain. It is probably the cheapest food option there which is why why leave our "town center" to go eat lunch most of the time.

dalelakin
08-02-2009, 03:15 PM
A jewish deli.

jstanthrnme
08-02-2009, 03:22 PM
REI would be a wet dream come true.

possumfritter
08-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Winn Dixie and Ward's BBQ (South Carolina).

But more than anything, a Butcher Shop in NW OKC where they just sail meat. I can't find a 7-bone chuck roast anywhere!

possumfritter
08-02-2009, 03:40 PM
oops...I don't want them "sailing" meat as much as I would like them to "sale" meat.

possumfritter
08-02-2009, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE=HVAC Instructor;243173]A Kroger grocery store would be nice.

I'll second that!

Platemaker
08-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Try again... ; )

venture
08-02-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm going to go a different route here instead of stores and such that fill consumer wants, how about businesses that will make it possible to support those? I would love to see a push to get more tech businesses to start up or locate offices here. They typically bring the higher paying jobs that will support all these "dream" stores people are listing above. I guess we as a city had thought we may be turning that corner with Dell, but then they scrapped plans for a 3rd building, laid off hundreds, and you'll be hard pressed to find many out there earning over $50K a year there unlike back in 2005-2006 which there were many.

It would be nice if we could see something like this that Austin has setup. The Austin Emerging 100 (http://www.austinemerging100.com/list.php)

A growing list of new tech startups or at least new to their area that continue to feed off each other.

terryl
08-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Costco
Fry's Electronics
Lifetime Fitness

bbhill
08-02-2009, 07:33 PM
costco, ikea, publix (walmart competition is good)
in n out burger (i know, never gonna happen)
burger king (where did all the burger kings in north okc go??)
nordstrom's (I can't afford it now--I'm a poor college student), but I'd like to think that someday I will be affluent enough to shop there.

blangtang
08-02-2009, 10:21 PM
mary jane dispensaries

Soonerman
08-02-2009, 10:44 PM
A Dicks sporting goods would be awesome for OKC.

Midtowner
08-02-2009, 10:54 PM
A Dicks sporting goods would be awesome for OKC.

Isn't or wasn't there one in MWC/Del City? I could have sworn that a few years back I subpoenaed some work records from a Dick's Sporting Goods in the area.

scootinger
08-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Hmmm a couple that haven't been mentioned:
- Fry's Electronics
- QuikTrip (not in OKC but not technically out of state) or another halfway decent convenience store like Racetrac

Soonerman
08-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Isn't or wasn't there one in MWC/Del City? I could have sworn that a few years back I subpoenaed some work records from a Dick's Sporting Goods in the area.

I don't think there is a Dicks sporting goods anywhere in Oklahoma.

oneforone
08-03-2009, 02:24 AM

You are probably thinking of either Twid's or Gregory's Sporting Goods.

stick47
08-03-2009, 06:48 AM
Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill. Ate there every time we went to Bowling Green, KY. Their barbequed ribs are awesome!

jbkrems
08-03-2009, 07:02 AM
Another restaurant: Maggiano's.

metro
08-03-2009, 07:43 AM
Hmmm a couple that haven't been mentioned:
- Fry's Electronics
- QuikTrip (not in OKC but not technically out of state) or another halfway decent convenience store like Racetrac

Just not in this thread, but in the 23449 other threads on this topic, they have both been mentioned.:LolLolLol

Chicken In The Rough
08-03-2009, 08:09 AM
It seems our best opportunities is to attract some of the oil & gas companies in surrounding states as well as those who previoulsy made their homes here. For example, Kerr-McGee, Conoco-Phillips, Anadarko Petroleum, etc. We already have the technology base, the educational facilities, and the labor pool. And, we have influential companies and individuals who may help us in our lobbying.

These companies pay well above average salaries when the market is good. It is this employment growth and growth in relative wealth that will bring everything else that we want to the city.

Yes, this puts even more eggs into a single basket. However, this is a good and easy place to start. Later, we can redouble our efforts to attract firms not related to fossil fuels (e.g., alternative energy companies).

progressiveboy
08-03-2009, 08:15 AM
Although I no longer live in OKC but visit often due to family and friends, I would think LaMadelines would do quite well. Other establishments that come to mind are Cost Plus Market, Central Market, Steve Madden, Kenneth Cole and Corner Bakery and Patrizio's.

mark
08-03-2009, 04:25 PM
A jewish deli.
this, with a bakery!! i'm dying for a bobka!

also, krogers or tom thumb. just visited them in dallas and would love to have a good grocery store here.

possumfritter
08-03-2009, 04:55 PM
A jewish deli.

Yes!

possumfritter
08-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Try again... ; )

Thank ya Platemaker. I got it now. :LolLolLol

mugofbeer
08-03-2009, 05:04 PM
In-N-Out-Burger and Burger King? My God, do we really need any MORE fast food places? We're already the leader-per-capita in those things and one of the fattest cities on the planet!

rondvu
08-03-2009, 06:32 PM
We had a Smokey Bones on W, Memorial, but it went bottoms up after a year or so.

bluedogok
08-03-2009, 07:11 PM
All of the Smokey Bones west of the Mississippi closed a couple of years ago, the parent company shut them all down. It was decent food and mediocre BBQ. There are much better BBQ options (mostly local) in this part of the country than Smokey Bones.

scootinger
08-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Just not in this thread, but in the 23449 other threads on this topic, they have both been mentioned.:LolLolLol

Uh I meant in THIS thread...

icecold
08-03-2009, 09:16 PM
A Kroger grocery store would be nice: Kroger - Home (http://www.kroger.com/Pages/default.aspx)

Lots of room for improvement in the grocery business here.

Agreed. My family lives in College Station and a Kroger is right down the road from my parents. Its great. So much produce selection and actually have a lot of all organic options too. At that one they made their own tortillas right there and even had people making fresh sushi (it was no Tokoyo House or anything put pretty tasty for being in a Kroger). Also a very nice meat counter when plenty of selection. Then not to mention the best part of all that you can actually buy WINE in the grocery store. What a concept.

On the restaurant front I would like to see this: Ozona Grill & Bar (http://www.ozonagrill.com)

Oh and I 2nd a Dicks Sporting Goods

Soonerman
08-03-2009, 10:03 PM
how about a United market street

native
08-04-2009, 03:29 AM
REI - awesome outdoor store
Dick's Sporting Goods - best sporting goods store in the land
Costco
Maggiano's/Corner Bakery - these are sometimes found together, good italian food

PennyQuilts
08-04-2009, 05:32 AM
Noodles and Co.

theparkman81
08-04-2009, 10:05 AM
I thought that I read somewhere that Dick's sporting goods will be here in 2010.

Platemaker
08-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Only if it is a corporate hedquarters wanting to relocate here...
or a retail establishment that does not already have their products on the shelves of businesses that already exist (And brand name clothiers that only sell out of their own boutiques are one of the few examples)

I couldn't care less if we got the extra stuff.

Let's get really real about this folks...
Costco is a Sam's is a BJ's
Chipotle is a Moe's is a Q'doba
ColdStone Creamery is a Marble Slab Creamery
AND TARGET IS JUST AS EVIL AS WAL-MART!!!!

I could go on and on...

Soonerman
08-04-2009, 10:55 AM
I thought that I read somewhere that Dick's sporting goods will be here in 2010.

Man that would be awesome.

flintysooner
08-04-2009, 11:20 AM
University Park at Norman.

metro
08-04-2009, 11:24 AM
I don't get what's so great about Dicks Sporting Goods. I've been to them and haven't found anything I can't get at Academy or one of the other local sports places for usually cheaper. I'd rather have a Nike outlet.

Platemaker
08-04-2009, 12:02 PM
I don't get what's so great about Dicks Sporting Goods. I've been to them and haven't found anything I can't get at Academy or one of the other local sports places for usually cheaper.

Precisely.

adaniel
08-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Any decent grocery chain besides Wal Mart is badly needed here, and not some "Neigborhood Market" garbage either. I don't care how much you try and doll up a Wal Mart, its still Wal Mart. The whole concept is the ultimate lipstick on a pig. It drives me crazy that considerably smaller cities have better grocery selection. I've always wondered why Reasors or Food Pyramid, two very successful grocery chains in Tulsa, have passed on expanding to this side of the state.

Platemaker
08-04-2009, 03:07 PM
What's wrong with Buy for Less, Homeland, or my personal favorite Crest?

so1rfan
08-04-2009, 03:59 PM
What's wrong with Buy for Less, Homeland, or my personal favorite Crest?

They are fine as long as you are satisfied with basics necessities. Most of those type store sell either basic name brands or lower end bargain brands.

Grocery stores like Kroger, Dillons, Hy-Vee carries the basics but also carry higher-end brands and have a better produce selection, organic section as well as a full deli.

I travel quite a bit and will usually make my way into a grocery store when I am out. I can tell you from experience that most groceries stores out side of Oklahoma have a much better selection and quality.

Soonerman
08-04-2009, 10:20 PM
University Park at Norman.

I thought Academy was going to UNP in Norman.

MikeLucky
08-04-2009, 11:09 PM
QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip QuikTrip

betts
08-04-2009, 11:11 PM
Anthropologie, Restoration Hardware

jpmoney
08-05-2009, 04:50 AM
Bojangles

Platemaker
08-05-2009, 09:46 AM
They are fine as long as you are satisfied with basics necessities. Most of those type store sell either basic name brands or lower end bargain brands.

Grocery stores like Kroger, Dillons, Hy-Vee carries the basics but also carry higher-end brands and have a better produce selection, organic section as well as a full deli.

I travel quite a bit and will usually make my way into a grocery store when I am out. I can tell you from experience that most groceries stores out side of Oklahoma have a much better selection and quality.

As a cook... I just don't see it. Lesser known trend-brands or regional products don't translate to me as "better selection". I shopped and Kroger living in the south and it's no different than Crest. Sure... it's not as easy to find Community Coffee in Oklahoma, those sort of circumstances go both ways though.

"most groceries stores out side of Oklahoma" Kind of a stretch I think.

progressiveboy
08-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Oklahoma City has really poor selections of grocery stores. I personally think the quality is marginal and having lived here previously, many of the stores were not clean. I did not shop at Crest Foods when I lived in OKC so I cannot say how it stacks up to the "so called" competition. When my mother comes down to Dallas to visit, she constantly marvels at the wide selection of grocery stores and the "quality" of them. She loves Tom Thumb and Central Market. She lives in Edmond and states their really isn't any great grocery stores there, considering it is an affluent community. I think it is time that OKC steps it up a notch and try to attract "quality" grocers to the area. And yes, I am talking about WF even a signature Tom Thumb would do wonders!

so1rfan
08-05-2009, 11:19 AM
As a cook... I just don't see it. Lesser known trend-brands or regional products don't translate to me as "better selection". I shopped and Kroger living in the south and it's no different than Crest. Sure... it's not as easy to find Community Coffee in Oklahoma, those sort of circumstances go both ways though.

"most groceries stores out side of Oklahoma" Kind of a stretch I think.

Yeah that is a bit of a stretch. How about "other" groceries stores...

I don't know maybe it's the different layouts and presentation as well. Perception isn't always reality.