View Full Version : Oklahoma [City]

Platemaker
07-30-2009, 11:26 PM
Having had the opportunity to live in several states and Europe, I've noticed that a number of outsider impressions of the State of Oklahoma is Oklahoma City and vise versa... many times thinking the word 'city' is redundant when used in an obvious context.

Looking at old maps, there are several that label Oklahoma City simply 'Oklahoma'.

Question: Is 'Oklahoma' and 'Oklahoma City' interchangeable in similar way that 'New York' and 'New York City' are?

ssandedoc
07-31-2009, 03:20 AM
Nope. We just call it Oklahoma City or OKC.

USG '60
07-31-2009, 05:50 AM
I think a huge portion of Oklahomans simply call it The City to other Oklahomans and we probably slip and call it that to out of staters and then correct ourselves when they give us a quizical look.

DM1031
07-31-2009, 06:59 AM
to me, its OKC, or "the city"

the_Mont
07-31-2009, 07:39 AM
I think a huge portion of Oklahomans simply call it The City to other Oklahomans and we probably slip and call it that to out of staters and then correct ourselves when they give us a quizical look.

This.

OKCMallen
07-31-2009, 08:03 AM
Question: Is 'Oklahoma' and 'Oklahoma City' interchangeable in similar way that 'New York' and 'New York City' are?

Not in any of my experience.

OKCMallen
07-31-2009, 08:03 AM

Yes. Or the Big Town. :elmer3::busterbun

Luke
07-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Growing up in Sulphur, we always called Oklahoma City "The City." I wondered if those growing up in towns closer to Tulsa than to OKC referred to Tulsa as "The City." I found out in college that people around Tulsa still referred to OKC as "The City" and Tulsa was just Tulsa or T-Town.

Grant
07-31-2009, 01:06 PM
I've always wondered the same thing...especially since I assume Oklahoma City and Oklahoma territory were founded around the same time. Kind of a chicken or the egg scenario on whether it's "Oklahoma City" or "the City of Oklahoma" aka just "Oklahoma"...according to the caption of this picture taken from Wikipedia snapped evidently somewhere around 1890 the correct name is and has always been "Oklahoma City".

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/76/Oklahoma_City_1890.jpg

possumfritter
07-31-2009, 01:20 PM
A friend of mine, whom was raised on a farm out around Piedmont said her family used to refer to OKC as "goin shopin."

Jesseda
07-31-2009, 01:20 PM
is there any structures still standing from the 1890 land run? oh and to stick to the subject i have called it okc, oklahoma city or oakcity

MadMonk
07-31-2009, 01:36 PM
LOL, I'm going to listing my address as
Oklahoma City, Indian Territory 73132

Martin
07-31-2009, 01:55 PM
my details might be a bit sketchy, but here's what i've always heard...

oklahoma city was called just 'oklahoma' for a relatively brief amount of time after being founded. limitations on land size for new townsites necesitated the need to create two adjacent, independent towns just after the landrun. to the north of reno, there was 'oklahoma' and to the south of reno there was 'south oklahoma.' shortly thereafter, the two townsites were able to join into one municipality and to avoid confusion with the state name, 'oklahoma city' was chosen as the name.

consequently, i believe that this is why reno is the north/south dividing line and not main street.

-M

USG '60
07-31-2009, 02:23 PM
I thought our first name was Oklahoma Station because of the train watering station.

MsDarkstar
07-31-2009, 02:47 PM
is there any structures still standing from the 1890 land run? oh and to stick to the subject i have called it okc, oklahoma city or oakcity

Yes, there are.

Harn Homestead (http://www.harnhomestead.com)

One building is original to the site, from the time of the Land Run. There are other buildings on site that were moved there for museum purposes, but are from the Land Run period. I used to work there, if you want to know more about it just send me a private message.

circuitboard
07-31-2009, 02:48 PM
My family refers to OKC, as "the city" and they live in Tulsa. They also to this day, think that OKC is where gang violence is and you have to be careful???? Like Tulsa is a saint or something.

Bunty
07-31-2009, 04:52 PM

Probably not any. Many of the original structures were built from wood. So they either burnt down or were cleared to make way for bigger and better structures as prosperity in early day Oklahoma demanded. By the way, the land run that settled Oklahoma City was the original or first one done in 1889.

stratosphere
07-31-2009, 05:53 PM
when i lived in Norman, going to OKC was referred to as "goin to the city"

I have a friend in Austin Texas (UT student) who refers to us as "land thieves"

i just kindly remind him that

:ou:ou2

dismayed
07-31-2009, 10:23 PM
Having had the opportunity to live in several states and Europe, I've noticed that a number of outsider impressions of the State of Oklahoma is Oklahoma City and vise versa... many times thinking the word 'city' is redundant when used in an obvious context.

Looking at old maps, there are several that label Oklahoma City simply 'Oklahoma'.

Really only outsiders call OKC "Oklahoma" or "Oak City." Pretty much everyone local literally calls out the acronym OKC or calls it "The City" like "I'm going up to The City today."

If you look at the original maps 100+ years ago, the state of Oklahoma was called Indian Territory, and the central area... say what is now roughly Oklahoma County, was called Oklahoma. This was usually called out as "Oklahoma, IT" on maps, so maybe what you mentioned in your first post is an old reference to that?

A long, long time ago what is now OKC was called Oklahoma Station and was just a stop along the Santa Fe Rail Line. This was likely OKC's first name.

What is south of I-40 today was its own city for a while and was called South Oklahoma. Eventually this merged into OKC.

Heritage Hills to the north and Capitol Hill to the south were some of OKC's very first suburbs. At one time they were connected by rail to the downtown area. What is Grand Blvd. was at one time the 'outer loop' of the city. It's funny to think how close in that street is and consider the new outer loop, probably the Kilpatrick Turnpike, in comparison.

Just some fun random facts!

Platemaker
08-01-2009, 03:04 AM
Really only outsiders call OKC "Oklahoma" or "Oak City." Pretty much everyone local literally calls out the acronym OKC or calls it "The City" like "I'm going up to The City today."

That's pretty much my experience. Obvioulsy, a nickname like "the City" won't fly as OKC climbs tiers in the eyes of the outside... so what wins out?

"Oak City" is one I haven't come across too often.

Doug Loudenback
08-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Good question about the city's name. I'll see what I can find. This much I can say: the US Postal Service recognized the "city" for the 1st time in 1923 ... before then, postmarks read "Oklahoma, Oklahoma."

This Oklahoman article below reports on a blurb in a Vinita newspaper:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/misc/cityname_1923_06_18.jpg

ON EDIT: found this at, but it really doesn't answer the question since its focus is on what the postal department called us. Presumably, when the city incorporated, it had a name ... still looking ... but here's what was said here: http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/O/OK025.html

Prior to the land opening the Southern Kansas Railway (later the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway) built a line from the Kansas-Oklahoma border to Purcell, Indian Territory. At the North Canadian River a watering stop along that line, known as Oklahoma Station, was established in February 1887. A post office at Oklahoma Station opened on December 30, 1887. The post office was renamed Oklahoma on December 18, 1888, and finally, Oklahoma City on July 1, 1923.

OUman
08-01-2009, 10:34 AM
I don't refer to Oklahoma City as OKC since OKC is Will Rogers Airport's code, but that's just me, I'm probably too technical about such stuff being an aviation nut. So I just say "the city" or "Oklahoma City."

fromdust
08-01-2009, 10:47 AM
never heard okc referred to simply as oklahoma. "the city", yes. as far away as durant in the se part and as far away as alva in the ne part of the state.

dismayed
08-01-2009, 02:19 PM

I hear it a lot outside of Oklahoma.

USG '60
08-01-2009, 03:13 PM
The only time I ever heard it called Oak City was by the hockey players when I hung out with them in the early 70's.

native
08-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Grew up in a small town outside of Tulsa (Coweta) and we referred to Tulsa as "T-town" or "Tulsa". We referred to Oklahoma City as "OKC" or "Oklahoma City".

jbrown84
08-01-2009, 05:08 PM
The only people that call it "Oak City" are the airline pilots.

OUman
08-02-2009, 11:49 AM
^Haven't heard any pilots call it "Oak City" yet (and I've flown a lot) so maybe it's just my luck, but the Weather Channel's on-air meteorologists call it "Oak City" many times.

Luke
08-02-2009, 01:21 PM
"Oak City" just irks me for some reason.

USG '60
08-02-2009, 01:37 PM
ME TOO. And I really don't know why.

chrisok
08-02-2009, 10:03 PM
The only people that call it "Oak City" are the airline pilots.

Hear it all the time on flights as well.

CCOKC
08-03-2009, 08:32 AM
I have heard it numerous times as well from pilots. I guess it is irritating because they come across as if they are trying to be local when no one I know from OKC calls home Oak City.

Luke
08-03-2009, 08:39 AM
In fact, when I hear "Oak City" it's a guarantee they are not from here.

mugofbeer
08-03-2009, 08:39 AM
I once tried to be funny and say "Oke City" when giving my address to someone while in Oklahoma City and the person put down "Oak City, OK". Luckily, I saw it before it was inputted but its an example that no one in OK City calls it "Oke City" - I've made that mistake.

cedbled
08-03-2009, 12:17 PM
"Oak City" just irks me for some reason.

Exactly. That's why now a lot of people shorten it up a bit, and call it my fav name:
O-City

lonestarstatesux
08-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Honestly, I've heard OakCity or O-City in the OKC hiphop communities. Outside of that, straight up The City every time. I use it as habit and have to apologize when out of town, even when I was in New Jersey... which obviously caused some confusion...

jbrown84
08-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Hear it all the time on flights as well.

I had a conversation with a pilot once and told him that we hate that and that no one here calls it that. He said "well it's just easier than saying the full name--fewer syllables." And I'm like, then say "O-K-C"

chrisok
08-07-2009, 05:22 PM
I had a conversation with a pilot once and told him that we hate that and that no one here calls it that. He said "well it's just easier than saying the full name--fewer syllables." And I'm like, then say "O-K-C"

Heard it on a flight again today.

Watson410
08-07-2009, 09:26 PM
I hear Oklahoma City (OKC) referred to as Oak City quite often actually... I don't mind it all that much, as long as out-of-towners or who ever knows where "Oak City" is and/or located.

old okie
08-08-2009, 06:31 PM
I've always wondered the same thing...especially since I assume Oklahoma City and Oklahoma territory were founded around the same time. Kind of a chicken or the egg scenario on whether it's "Oklahoma City" or "the City of Oklahoma" aka just "Oklahoma"...according to the caption of this picture taken from Wikipedia snapped evidently somewhere around 1890 the correct name is and has always been "Oklahoma City".

Just as a point of clarification: this isn't really a "photo" of Oklahoma City; it is an artist's rendition based upon street-level photos and historical information giving the placement of various buildings, etc. I know; I have one of the these posters. [I didn't recopy the pic here, but anyone can go back to your post and look at it.]

old okie
08-08-2009, 06:47 PM

If you look at the original maps 100+ years ago, the state of Oklahoma was called Indian Territory, and the central area... say what is now roughly Oklahoma County, was called Oklahoma. This was usually called out as "Oklahoma, IT" on maps, so maybe what you mentioned in your first post is an old reference to that?

A long, long time ago what is now OKC was called Oklahoma Station and was just a stop along the Santa Fe Rail Line. This was likely OKC's first name.

What is south of I-40 today was its own city for a while and was called South Oklahoma. Eventually this merged into OKC.

Heritage Hills to the north and Capitol Hill to the south were some of OKC's very first suburbs. At one time they were connected by rail to the downtown area. What is Grand Blvd. was at one time the 'outer loop' of the city. It's funny to think how close in that street is and consider the new outer loop, probably the Kilpatrick Turnpike, in comparison.

Just some fun random facts!

Actually, the original land was ceded to the Creek & Seminole tribes by the U.S. gov't; however, neither of these tribes utilized this part of their lands. After the Civil War, when the Five Tribes had joined the South, the U.S. removed this part of the Creeks & Seminoles' lands and gave them lands to the east of here. They (the gov't) supposedly planned to give this area, which actually included parts of six present-day counties, to other tribes, but they didn't. Hence, this area was called The Unassigned Lands. When the first Boomers began demanding that the gov't allow settlement here, the gov't went back and negotiated a "sale" of the lands taken after the War from the Creeks & Seminoles. There is often a lot of misunderstanding about the actual development of this part of the state.

Tulsa was part of "Indian Territory"; Oklahoma City, which was known for a short time as "Oklahoma Station" and/or "Oklahoma," was actually in that area designated as "Oklahoma Territory."

I grew up in the northern part of the state; we always called Oklahoma City, The City. Tulsa was T-town. Now, I call it OKC. But when I have to give my address to someone (like over the phone), I'm amazed at how many people outside of Oklahoma ask me (when I say, "Oklahoma City" in my address), "What state?" Unbelievable!

metro
08-10-2009, 12:52 PM
I agree. Even here at my work, I tell companies Oklahoma City, and they are like what state. The other day a third party company put Oklahoma City, New Jersey. Seriously ??

old okie
08-10-2009, 01:39 PM
I agree. Even here at my work, I tell companies Oklahoma City, and they are like what state. The other day a third party company put Oklahoma City, New Jersey. Seriously ??

:LolLolLol or maybe :doh: is better.

okcsince1987
08-11-2009, 05:15 AM
I've always said "OKC" or "The City". When I talk to people from out of state I say the whole thing,"Oklahoma City". People that have maybe visited usually know that we call it "OKC", and they'll kinda make fun of that a little bit. lol. I've been to concerts as well and they have called us "Oak City". I like that alright. Just not to be confused with Oakland, California. I guess I like O-City too. They're all cool with me. Whatever. I know where I'm from and I love it.:irule:

CCOKC
08-12-2009, 05:14 PM
As a graduate of OSU I don't like it when they are on national tv and are referred to as Oak State but I know the real OSU to most people is the Ohio State University. I am just glad we have some king of national recognition. I know I am opening myself up to a lot of criticism from the Sooners so give it your best shot. I will not be baited.

OKC PATROL
08-13-2009, 11:42 AM
I have heard many Tulsans call it the metro.

Platemaker
08-13-2009, 03:17 PM

Scratch that... I just flew into Will Rogers the other day and the pilot said "Oak City."

kevinpate
08-13-2009, 04:21 PM
> criticism from the Sooners so give it your best shot.

Nah, you're out of season. Wouldn't be sporting.