View Full Version : OKC Boathouse District (YouTube Channel)

AFCM
07-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Channel:
boathousedistrict's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/boathousedistrict)

Videos:
Boathouse District Masterplan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJtmsYFkP6k)
World Tour (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JhCJ3AcFI0)

Decious
07-30-2009, 06:33 AM
Thanks for finding this. Gives us a glimpse into what river related items will be included in MAPS3. I really like the whitewater center and the fixed river lighting. Since being contrarian has become the "it" thing to be on the forum, I'm sure that this thread will be ripped apart. Hopefully we get this phase out of our collective system before voting time arrives.

aubreytodd@hotmail.com
07-30-2009, 07:34 AM
Nice Metallica quote....

metro
07-30-2009, 07:35 AM
Simply stunning!

Pete
07-30-2009, 08:20 AM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_QJCmVrtNDjI/Sm0VG6tZSCI/AAAAAAAAAOA/m-XFCWhr3Sw/s912/camera_8%20day.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_QJCmVrtNDjI/Sm0VMestJpI/AAAAAAAAAOg/K-o5WZlCsbc/s912/camera_5%20day.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_QJCmVrtNDjI/Sm0aMm5oQ5I/AAAAAAAAAVk/Jmm1Aqqtkhk/s912/camera_14%20night.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_QJCmVrtNDjI/Sm0gVj9N5lI/AAAAAAAAAWc/Qz20A3PW5tM/s576/Special%20Features.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_QJCmVrtNDjI/Sm0Z_umOSXI/AAAAAAAAAUc/anx38Xn1R84/s912/finishline%20tower_0005_Layer%2019.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_QJCmVrtNDjI/Sm0VLKOdwHI/AAAAAAAAAOY/-LwFWkfV16I/s912/camera_6%20day.jpg

bombermwc
07-30-2009, 08:26 AM
WOW! I had no idea that the masterplan was being expanded to such a bold and AMAZING plan. This is some totally amazingly cool stuff! I can't wait to see these projects take off. The boathouses are finally starting to take off. Hopefully after they take foot, the other portions of the project will attract more attention and get rooted as well.

lasomeday
07-30-2009, 09:14 AM
YouTube - boathousedistrict's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/boathousedistrict#play/all/uploads-all/0/oRQG9Rf303U)

I think this is what you were trying to link to.

I like some of it, some of it I hate.

It really needs more landscaping and more of a natural setting. Plants are the only natural way to filter the chemicals and bacteria out of the water. Well besides algae, but that is a mess.

fromdust
07-30-2009, 09:23 AM
i wonder when tulsa is going to announce they are building a super fancy rowing venue?

Pete
07-30-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm sure there will be extensive landscaping and shade trees...

The renderings are just somewhat bare to accentuate the new structures and overall design.

I did read, however, that the rocks along the shoreline will stay because they help to keep the water surface smooth (absorb any ripples).

warreng88
07-30-2009, 09:58 AM
On one of the videos they showed a Whitewater Rafting training venue. Is that supposed to be positioned north of the river where all those houses used to be?

Doug Loudenback
07-30-2009, 11:42 AM
Cool! "Creating the world's premier urban aquatic venue" ... sounds so unreal, so yummy!

metro
07-30-2009, 12:46 PM
On one of the videos they showed a Whitewater Rafting training venue. Is that supposed to be positioned north of the river where all those houses used to be?

It will be further west on the river than "boathouse row."

Guy Noir
07-30-2009, 02:42 PM
That is so cool! - can it be put on fast-track...please?

Urban Pioneer
07-30-2009, 04:29 PM
It will be further west on the river than "boathouse row."

I was studying the drawing by pausing the animation and the "whitewater area" is actually depicted as NE of boathouse row in what was the old neighborhood.

Maybe it is just a "option" that Rand cooked up as food for thought. Originally, I heard too that it would be west- but that is not what is depicted.

Pete
07-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Almost all of that old neighborhood just NE of boathouse row is owned by Bill Canfield (of The Hill) and his group.

Guy Noir
07-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Am I correct in thinking the grandstand will be on the south side of the river - opposite the boathouses?

LakeEffect
07-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Almost all of that old neighborhood just NE of boathouse row is owned by Bill Canfield (of The Hill) and his group.

The City owns it all now (or is acquiring through eminent domain)...

bbhill
07-30-2009, 08:04 PM
I hate to be a Debbie Downer here. I must admit these plans look great and these fill a need that has been demonstrated. However, I'm just really not that impressed. Anyone else feel that way?

Platemaker
07-30-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm impressed.

bbhill
07-30-2009, 09:36 PM
Well okay then, I figured I would be the only one. lol oh well. . .

Platemaker
07-30-2009, 09:45 PM
I was studying the drawing by pausing the animation and the "whitewater area" is actually depicted as NE of boathouse row in what was the old neighborhood.

Maybe it is just a "option" that Rand cooked up as food for thought. Originally, I heard too that it would be west- but that is not what is depicted.

I think you're right about the location of the course, and the possibility of it being only an option.

I've never seen an artificial white water course. Are they a loop... like an aquatic Pole Position, or part of/connected to the river?

Am I correct in thinking the grandstand will be on the south side of the river - opposite the boathouses?

That's right.

I like the stairs and elevators at the Central Ave. bridge with the lights shooting out of the top. (Beacon of Hope... the Sequel!?) LOL the whole thing is sooo Rand!

Rand... how about going LED on everything as the seems to be a lot of "glow" going on. The OG+E lights on the underside of Central are brilliant! I don't wanna see similarly brilliant Underground-like colored-gell wrapped fluorescent bulbs but have since faded to near white. (I don't care what some people say the Underground is potentially one the the coolest things downtown has... that should be re-done in LEDs!)

I wonder how much space pedestrians have once they are crossing the bridge... and I wonder how feasible an added foot bridge is further east? Maybe close to the bell tower? It would help the circulation of people during major events like Head of the Oklahoma.

progressiveboy
07-30-2009, 09:47 PM
I hate to be a Debbie Downer here. I must admit these plans look great and these fill a need that has been demonstrated. However, I'm just really not that impressed. Anyone else feel that way? I realize your entititled to your personal opinion, however I'm curious? What is it about the plans that leave you unimpressed?

bbhill
07-30-2009, 09:58 PM
I realize your entititled to your personal opinion, however I'm curious? What is it about the plans that leave you unimpressed?

I'm not sure really--hard to explain. In my opinion the project as a whole seems less than the sum of its parts. I like the idea of separate boathouses and the finish line tower, but I'm not a real fan of Rand elliot's work here. I think he's done a lot of great stuff, but here it just seems like he threw a bunch of triangles and glass around and called it a day. I wish there would have been a bit more continuity between the buildings. On the other hand, I am really glad we aren't seeing a set of cookie cutter brick and stone buildings along the lake. So, as a whole I guess I'm please, but I feel it could be better. :-)

edit: I don't claim to be an architect or a designer :-p

Platemaker
07-30-2009, 10:03 PM
I don't understand how you think the design doesn't have continuity?

zuluwarrior0760
07-31-2009, 01:35 AM
There will be lots of LED lighting, no fluorescent....

I think you're right about the location of the course, and the possibility of it being only an option.

I've never seen an artificial white water course. Are they a loop... like an aquatic Pole Position, or part of/connected to the river?

My understanding is they are repeating the OG&E LED Lighting on the other side of Byers and doing many times as much of it up and down the river.
They will also repeat it on the I35 bridge.......

That's right.

I like the stairs and elevators at the Central Ave. bridge with the lights shooting out of the top. (Beacon of Hope... the Sequel!?) LOL the whole thing is sooo Rand!

Rand... how about going LED on everything as the seems to be a lot of "glow" going on. The OG+E lights on the underside of Central are brilliant! I don't wanna see similarly brilliant Underground-like colored-gell wrapped fluorescent bulbs but have since faded to near white. (I don't care what some people say the Underground is potentially one the the coolest things downtown has... that should be re-done in LEDs!)

I wonder how much space pedestrians have once they are crossing the bridge... and I wonder how feasible an added foot bridge is further east? Maybe close to the bell tower? It would help the circulation of people during major events like Head of the Oklahoma.

lasomeday
07-31-2009, 08:54 AM
I agree with bbhill.

I like Rand. I just don't like any of the boathouses except the original Chesapeake boathouse. I hope that when these are built they look better than what is shown. I like the grandstands and the finish line tower is growing on me after the last video.

I just think the boathouses look like folded pieces of paper. They are going to be blinding on sunny days. Too much white! I see the sides being stained 2 foot up with Oklahoma red dirt and then them just being neglected in 10 years as they are a dated design.

wsucougz
07-31-2009, 09:01 AM
I'm impressed. It's good to see people "thinking big" around here.

However, if the future plans get implemented, I can't help but wonder: who is going to maintain all of this down the road?

metro
07-31-2009, 09:02 AM
well considering the boathouses are privately funded, I imagine they will be upkept by the universities and business partners, and the river itself will be maintained by the City, perhaps the parks dept. or a new "river" dept. I think if all happens as planned, it's really a non-issue due to all the revenue it will bring in.

mattjank
07-31-2009, 10:59 AM

They are generally looped course, depending on the layout available with water being pumped up to the top, and ending in a pool area at the bottom. There must be some elevation loss throughout the course to make it work.

wsucougz
07-31-2009, 11:49 AM
well considering the boathouses are privately funded, I imagine they will be upkept by the universities and business partners, and the river itself will be maintained by the City, perhaps the parks dept. or a new "river" dept. I think if all happens as planned, it's really a non-issue due to all the revenue it will bring in.

It's hard to imagine rowing bringing in that much revenue. Corporations come and go, and cutting-edge modern architecture isn't always synonymous with reliability. That being said, who cares - build it. Nothing lasts forever, anyway.

AFCM
09-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Linked is a new video, complete with narration. The subject of most focus is the idea of white water rafting.

YouTube - A Vision for the Future on the Oklahoma River (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5leGJq_DINM)

Pete
09-04-2009, 07:43 AM
I love what Charlotte did with creating a whole recreational fun park around their whitewater course. Would love to see something similar in OKC -- we need more investment in the community recreation.