View Full Version : Whats up there?

MadMonk
07-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Just wondering...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Mad_Monk/Other/IMG00057.jpg

Urban Pioneer
07-29-2009, 05:47 PM
I took a date up there once and it seems that it is the remnants of the old Beacon Club. Would make an awesome Restraunt or clubnif the building were accessible from the outside at night.

stratosphere
07-29-2009, 06:53 PM
wait a minute....you were able to just wander up there with nobody stopping you? That would make a nice club....though i cant imagine the liability for something like that. Can you just see someone getting too drunk and thinking they were superman/wonderwoman or accidentally falling?

That reminds me of high school, or summer after high school that is, a bunch of us used to party downtown in the parking garages for some strange reason. The security guards usually didnt bother us that much back then but i bet today with all of the Bricktown police we would be thrown in the tank.

hagrid
07-29-2009, 07:17 PM
Just wondering...

Pigeon poop and a nice view.

stlokc
07-29-2009, 07:31 PM
I went there with a group for dinner before my senior prom (1992). It was the Beacon Club and it was very cool. Limo to a downtown dining club, great view, piano player, we felt very grown up.

bluedogok
07-29-2009, 07:38 PM
wait a minute....you were able to just wander up there with nobody stopping you? That would make a nice club....though i cant imagine the liability for something like that. Can you just see someone getting too drunk and thinking they were superman/wonderwoman or accidentally falling?
You just have to put extra tall railing/fencing like the Empire State Building Observation Deck has for an outdoor area.

That reminds me of high school, or summer after high school that is, a bunch of us used to party downtown in the parking garages for some strange reason. The security guards usually didnt bother us that much back then but i bet today with all of the Bricktown police we would be thrown in the tank.
That was a fairly popular thing in the 90's until on a Fourth of July night a kid from PC North did the "jump off the wall" on the top floor and missed the horizontal planks below falling down to E.K. Gaylord. After that they started blocking off the top of the garage at night and patrolling it regularly.

Urban Pioneer
07-29-2009, 08:31 PM
To all- there is no "public" outdoor spaces accessible up there that I know of. It is a floor like any other floor. So unless people are planning on jumping thru plate glass windows I am not sure what you guys are referring to. I guess jumping from the beacon might make a dramatic suicide.

The row of windows is what was the club.

Pete
07-29-2009, 08:36 PM
From The Beacon Club (http://www.beaconclub.com) (now operating on the 24th floor of the Oklahoma Tower):

The Club opened in the late 1941 on the 31st floor of the First National Building. All equipment and furnishings were owned and operated by Faber "Goob" Reid and he called his operation the "Rainbow Room." He catered exclusively to member of The Beacon Club.

In 1949 the Club acquired the 30th floor as a lunch floor and remodeled the 31st floor for dining and dancing in the Rainbow Room. (Members had to walk-up from the 29th floor)

The entire West Side of the 31st floor was open terrace which was both enchanting and dangerous, so in 1955, the Club enclosed the terrace, installed the private elevator from the 29th floor to the 30th and 31st floors, and obtained the 32nd floor for General Offices of the Club.

In 1961, the Club leased the 29th floor and added the buffet luncheon.

I used to go there all the time when I worked downtown in the 80's. I remember really liking the food and the intimate atmosphere.

MadMonk
07-30-2009, 09:38 AM
What about the two sets of four double-height windows on the right and left? They seem a little out of place.

Pete
07-30-2009, 09:49 AM
I think that's the 29th floor where they added larger windows for their banquet room.

OKCTalker
07-30-2009, 09:54 AM
If people had a propensity to dive from rooftops, wouldn't this be a weekly occurrence at OKCMOA's Cocktails On The Skyline?

OKCMallen
07-30-2009, 03:31 PM
If people had a propensity to dive from rooftops, wouldn't this be a weekly occurrence at OKCMOA's Cocktails On The Skyline?

Also, we have access to our patios here in Leadership Square...

stratosphere
07-30-2009, 05:59 PM
To all- there is no "public" outdoor spaces accessible up there that I know of. It is a floor like any other floor. So unless people are planning on jumping thru plate glass windows I am not sure what you guys are referring to. I guess jumping from the beacon might make a dramatic suicide.

The row of windows is what was the club.

i see, i was looking at the very rooftop on the right and saw something that looked like....well lets just say i was out of perspective and should have looked at the entire picture.

stratosphere
07-30-2009, 05:59 PM

where does this take place?

Platemaker
07-30-2009, 10:06 PM
This thread makes me wish we had a public observation deck downtown... I wish Devon would have fit that in.

workman45
07-31-2009, 10:35 AM
where does this take place?

Every Thursday on the roof of the Museum of Art, just north of city hall.

stratosphere
07-31-2009, 05:58 PM
Every Thursday on the roof of the Museum of Art, just north of city hall.

does this require reservations or can one just show up?

thanks

workman45
08-01-2009, 08:05 AM
does this require reservations or can one just show up?

thanks

The public is welcome. :welcome55 The only things required are that you pay access to the museum, and be of legal age. :Smiley112

gen70
08-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Does anyone remember when someone jumped from a skywalk and landed on an okc police car back in about the early 80's?

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
08-03-2009, 12:54 PM
I think that is the building that has a winding slide from the top floor to the bottom floor for emergency exits. When hubby was a rookie with ocfd they had to slide it. but that was a long time ago.

jstanthrnme
08-03-2009, 01:20 PM
I think that is the building that has a winding slide from the top floor to the bottom floor for emergency exits. When hubby was a rookie with ocfd they had to slide it. but that was a long time ago.

I think thats the Chase building. Could be wrong though. I'd like to know if anyone out there knows for sure. I had a buddy tell me about it and I can't remember which building it is in.

metro
08-03-2009, 01:39 PM

It's actually in City Place, but Chase is rumored to have one as well. Check out post #16 in this thread.

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/10765-downtown-towers-question.html

rondvu
08-03-2009, 02:52 PM
I love the opening pic of Whats up there. Does anyone have any pics of in there up there? I have not seen any. Also as a child my dad brought me a small card that had what the different colors of the beacon meant. It was an early weather guide. I can't remember the color codes, but as a child I found that quite interesting