View Full Version : the new okc zoo asian exhibit

Jesseda
07-29-2009, 07:43 AM
it looks like its going to be huge compared to the other projects they have done in the past decade.. Asia Exhibit: Coming in 2011 - Oklahoma City Zoo (http://www.okczoo.com/animals-plants/asia-exhibit/) any word on if they have broke ground for this project? any reports on new species coming to the zoo?

DaveSkater
07-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Only the elephant portion will be built. They'll put the project back out to bid in a year or so. (it went 2 or 4 million over budget).

:(

Jesseda
07-29-2009, 08:53 AM
ahh shucks, it looked nice that they where going to expand.. i still rather have antartic type themed area with penguins and polar bears..

jawgie
07-29-2009, 09:33 AM
ahh shucks, it looked nice that they where going to expand.. i still rather have antartic type themed area with penguins and polar bears..

You may be too young to remember our poor old polar bear. He must have walked a million miles around that cage.

icecold
07-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Only the elephant portion will be built. They'll put the project back out to bid in a year or so. (it went 2 or 4 million over budget).

:(

That is right dave. Lippert Bros Const. will be doing the work. Not sure when it will break ground. The bid only got awarded about a month ago.

USG '60
07-29-2009, 03:06 PM
You may be too young to remember our poor old polar bear. He must have walked a million miles around that cage.

May Carmichael rest in peace. That poor, pathetic orange beast walked more than a measley million miles. I nearly cried everytime I saw him.

bbhill
07-29-2009, 03:27 PM
good to see our great zoo at least attempting to expand. I always thought elephants were boring though. :( oh well

Karried
07-29-2009, 03:31 PM
May Carmichael rest in peace. That poor, pathetic orange beast walked more than a measley million miles. I nearly cried everytime I saw him.

omg.. this brings me to tears. I hate any type of animal suffering.

MsProudSooner
07-30-2009, 11:41 AM

Wasn't he next to the grizzly bear who would sit back on his haunches and wave at everyone?

Rescue_Company_One
07-30-2009, 10:23 PM
If they were smart they would expand now. They can go 2-4 million over now or wait 3-4 years when the economy gets better and pay that extra money in construction and materials costs. 6 in one hand and half a dozen in the other. But why not do it now and make money on it until later.
Does anyone know how much room the Zoo has to expand?? Do they have land put aside or are they boxed in and having to close 1 exibit to open another??

jstanthrnme
07-30-2009, 10:45 PM
For those interested, through the end of August, the OKC costs a mere 75 cents on Wednesdays. They also have other price specials for "Way Back Wednesdays".

I would be in favor of them expanding to what is now Science Museum Oklahoma, where that would move to the new Core to Area ooO(adding exhibits on geology, and weather)Ooo. To the south is the Zoo Amp, which I also should suggest be put out of its misery.

Jesseda
07-31-2009, 07:14 AM
it would be nice to adda oklahoma city aquarium by the zoo and the science museum..