View Full Version : Gas Station at Avondale and Western

scootinger
07-27-2009, 09:46 PM
There is a gas station at Avondale and Western (outside of Nichols Hills Plaza) that charges obscenely high prices for gas. Today the station was charging $2.78 a gallon for standard unleaded, when the highest I've seen anywhere else in the OKC area is $2.40-$2.50...even for non-ethanol gas at the normally overpriced stations!

This station is always at least 30 cents higher than any other station in OKC. I've always wondered why the price of gas at this station is so high, and how he manages to stay in business? Anyone know what's up here? I'm just curious as to why someone sells gas that is so overpriced and who buys it.

andy157
07-27-2009, 09:58 PM
There is a gas station at Avondale and Western (outside of Nichols Hills Plaza) that charges obscenely high prices for gas. Today the station was charging $2.78 a gallon for standard unleaded, when the highest I've seen anywhere else in the OKC area is $2.40-$2.50...even for non-ethanol gas at the normally overpriced stations!

This station is always at least 30 cents higher than any other station in OKC. I've always wondered why the price of gas at this station is so high, and how he manages to stay in business? Anyone know what's up here? I'm just curious as to why someone sells gas that is so overpriced and who buys it.The ones who are buying his gas are probably the same ones that live in Nichols Hills. Of course that's pure speculation on my part.

OKCTalker
07-27-2009, 10:07 PM
It's a full-service gas station, but you can also pump your own. It's also pure gas. And yes, they serve Nichols Hills residents. Any other questions?

Tex
07-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Go to Uptown Dallas and look at their gas prices relative to the rest of Dallas and you'll see the same thing.

andy157
07-28-2009, 02:57 AM
It's a full-service gas station, but you can also pump your own. It's also pure gas. And yes, they serve Nichols Hills residents. Any other questions?Yes. If a person were to select the full-service treatment over the self-service option, about how much more per gallon will it cost them, and what additional services should they expect to recieve for the increased per gallon cost?

Martin
07-28-2009, 04:32 AM
to back up what others have stated... it's a full service station with the cost of the service rolled into the unit price. the station also sells 100 octane... you'd flip if you saw the per gallon price on that.

-M

OKCTalker
07-28-2009, 07:02 AM
Yes. If a person were to select the full-service treatment over the self-service option, about how much more per gallon will it cost them, and what additional services should they expect to recieve for the increased per gallon cost?

I hear thet some of the local colleges offer courses in this "microeconomics" thing, but I could be mistaken.

metro
07-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Go to Uptown Dallas and look at their gas prices relative to the rest of Dallas and you'll see the same thing.

Why would we go to Dallas "Tex" to see that when we can see it in our own backyard, not to mention keep more of our tax dollars in Oklahoma, then to go see something in Texas we can see here (if you like checking out gas stations).:doh: :ou

OKCMallen
07-28-2009, 09:24 AM
The ones who are buying his gas are probably the same ones that live in Nichols Hills. Of course that's pure speculation on my part.

I can confirm this. That's the station where I see the Lambo filling up...

Also, they have a higher grade octane, too, but that doesn't explain the price for the regular unleaded.

Tex
07-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Why would we go to Dallas "Tex" to see that when we can see it in our own backyard, not to mention keep more of our tax dollars in Oklahoma, then to go see something in Texas we can see here (if you like checking out gas stations).:doh: :ou

Simmer down now metro... I wasn't making a call to action for Okies to go to Dallas. I was sharing my observation. Should have left the "Go" part out.

If you only knew how much tax revenue Texas gets from Oklahomans you probably would be holding up a sign that says Oklahoma sucks. Besides, save the "Texas Sucks" mantra for football season.

circuitboard
07-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Simmer down now metro... I wasn't making a call to action for Okies to go to Dallas. I was sharing my observation. Should have left the "Go" part out.

If you only knew how much tax revenue Texas gets from Oklahomans you probably would be holding up a sign that says Oklahoma sucks. Besides, save the "Texas Sucks" mantra for football season.

Oh just wait until we have a fast train from OKC to Dallas.....talk about oklahoma money flying out the door!

EBAH
07-28-2009, 03:10 PM
I use this gas station somewhat often. Their prices are a bit high for "regular" fuels. But, they do have guaranteed quality gas, and NO ethenol. What is really great, aside from the full service aspect, is that they carry both 93 octane (normal premium in a lot of states) and 101 octane racing fuel. If you have a high performance car, and really want high performance fuel, they are the only choice (that I know of) in this part of town.

OKCTalker
07-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Antique and classic cars also run better on ethanol-free, higher octane gas.

andy157
07-28-2009, 06:29 PM
I hear thet some of the local colleges offer courses in this "microeconomics" thing, but I could be mistaken.Thanks. Thats good to know, because in todays everchanging world of business, the demand for educated and highly trained micro-economists has never been greater.

OKCTalker
07-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Thanks. Thats good to know, because in todays everchanging world of business, the demand for educated and highly trained micro-economists has never been greater.

Right up there with Art History majors and Small-Molecule Crystollographers.

securityinfo
07-29-2009, 01:42 PM

This station is always at least 30 cents higher than any other station in OKC. I've always wondered why the price of gas at this station is so high, and how he manages to stay in business? Anyone know what's up here? I'm just curious as to why someone sells gas that is so overpriced and who buys it.

And, of course, not having to worry about little things like rent, bills, expenses, etc. helps... (hint, the owner sold to CHK some time ago for millions)...

So why not charge the heck out of you for having the audacity to bother them with a request for gas? :-)

OKCTalker
07-29-2009, 02:25 PM
And, of course, not having to worry about little things like rent, bills, expenses, etc. helps... (hint, the owner sold to CHK some time ago for millions)

Who says they don't have bills to pay? Rent, payroll, utilities, wholesale purchases of gasoline, taxes, insurance, equipment maintenance...

securityinfo
07-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Who says they don't have bills to pay? Rent, payroll, utilities, wholesale purchases of gasoline, taxes, insurance, equipment maintenance...

Didn't say they didn't have to pay bills, said that they didn't have to worry about paying for them <-)

bluedogok
07-29-2009, 07:59 PM
I know several people who are more than willing to use that station because it is one of the few that offers full service, most live in the immediate area and are elderly. I see nothing wrong with it as they filling a market niche that is there. If they are able to stay open doing business that way more power to them, some people appreciate service and not everyone is a low price whore willing to drive ten miles to save a penny per gallon.

stratosphere
07-30-2009, 06:05 PM
i used to fill up at this station all of the time, it is one of the few around that has 93 octane as their standard premium instead of 91 octane like most stations. And yes they do have 103 or 105 octane and if i remember correctly it was around $4.50 per gallon. I stuck with the 93 octane. Saw a lot of Porches, Aston Martins, Mercedes, and even Vipers filling up there when i would go. I presume those people mostly lived just to the west of the station.