View Full Version : State of the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Laramie
07-27-2009, 01:58 PM
"Time to take a deep breath and take a look at what the Oklahoma City Thunder has done since the end of last season to prepare for a more successful 2009-10 season. Granted, expectations were low last year for this relocated and rebuilding team - the 23-59 record was just about on track. (Encouraging that nineteen of those losses were by four points or less.) There has been some shuffling around, so how does the team sit now?

...Now, the players. Oklahoma City didn't score Blake Griffin in the draft as fantasized by fans, but they did get a solid versatile 6'5" shooting guard in former Arizona State left-hander James Harden, the No. 3 draft pick. His upside is off the charts. At only 19 years old, but with a team-first maturity and basketball intelligence usually found only in experienced players, Harden should prove to be a perfect fit with Kevin Durant, Jeff Green and Russell Westbrook. Incredibly, these four players have an average age of 20 years old. All were drafted within the top five in their class. Harden, proving himself tenfold in the just-ended summer leagues, should be joining the Big Three in the starting line-up next season."

Link - HoopsWorld: HOOPSWORLD (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13413)

bluedogok
07-27-2009, 03:55 PM
They also had a trade today getting Tulsa native Eton Thomas for Damien Wilkins and Chucky Atkins.

NewsOK.com - OKC Thunder acquire Etan Thomas in trade with Minnesota Timberwolves (http://www.newsok.com/okc-thunder-acquire-etan-thomas-in-trade-with-minnesota-timberwolves/article/3388356)

Laramie
07-28-2009, 06:36 PM
bluedogok:

Looks like we are going to be in great shape for getting a good footing from the starting block; hopefully, a better start than our initial season.

Sam Presti is really impressive! This guy does his homework!

TaoMaas
07-30-2009, 09:56 AM
My bad...after reading the first sentence of the article quoted, my defenses were already up. I was all ready to say, "We don't care what you think! Check with us in another year or so!" But then I realized that the writer of the article "gets it". Maybe not this coming year...but soon...very soon...nobody will be talking about what a mistake it was to let OKC have a basketball team.

Easy180
08-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Looks like they landed Mo Cheeks as an asst coach...Led teams to the playoffs 3 times as a head coach and played 15 years in the league...Not sure how much it will help but it seemed a pretty nice catch to me

Laramie
08-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Looks like they landed Mo Cheeks as an asst coach...Led teams to the playoffs 3 times as a head coach and played 15 years in the league...Not sure how much it will help but it seemed a pretty nice catch to me

This should be a good coaching move by the Thunder as this team looks good going into the 2009-10 season.

The two new assistant coaches along with the strength and seasoning of existing players and new draftees, the Thunder should be a legitimate playoff contender and here is why(?):

Kevin Durant continues to work on his game and now with the addition of new comers Etan Thomas and Kevin Ollie (Veterans) to the draftees--James Harden, B.J. Mullens and Serge Ibaka to help Durant, Jeff Green, Russell Westbrook, Nenad Krstic, Shaun Livingston, Thabo Sefolosha, D.J. White, Kyle Weaver and veteran Nick Collison the Thunder is adding dept and strength to an already core nucleus of a team that will be a playoff contender for 2009-10.

These guys being younger with a few young veterans that will make them stronger, tougher and long-winded.

Sam Presti has put together some corn-bread and buttermilk fed farm boys just waiting to ride those stallions to no end.

So Watchout Thunder!

This team will be transitioning up and down the court, let's hope they can bring together the right chemisty and continuity that will enable them to make a great playoff run.