View Full Version : 2 city forums or 1??

Patrick
01-27-2005, 11:59 PM
I need your advice on something......This forum has grown, and is the largest forum on this site, although it's still manageable. It could be split into 2 forums, one about downtown/City hall issues (like Bricktown, MAPS, etc.) and one about other city issues (like Memorial Rd. development, Penn Square Mall). What would you guys prefer......2 city forums or 1 (the current set up)? In the past (on OKC City hall Talkback, The Oklahoman MAPS Forum, and Oklahomasown) we always just had 1 forum.

Please give your feedback.

Patrick
01-28-2005, 12:01 AM
Just to let you know, for now I'm leaning towards keeping just 1 forum and later if traffic merits it, splitting to 2. But, I'd like your opinion.

okcpulse
01-28-2005, 12:59 AM
I'm in favor of keeping 1 forum. If traffic demands it, split it up to two forums but keep it on one website. I'm not much for fragmentation.

Patrick
01-28-2005, 01:08 AM
Yeah, if we did 2 city forums it would be on this site, just 1 specifically for Cityhall/downtown talk and 1 for OKC and Surround Area.

Seems like 1 forum works well for now though. Keeps city talk together!

Feel free to keep expressing your opinions on this topic.

Luke
01-28-2005, 04:28 AM
I say stick with one. Because there are a lot of issues that are hard to classify into either downtown or other. Plus, this site has too many fora as it is, in my opinion.

floater
01-28-2005, 06:53 AM
Yes, stick with one forum. Having separate downtown/Bricktown and other city issues would be an electronic segregation, if you will. I've checked out some threads I usually wouldn't bother with if they weren't located in the OKC and Surrounding Area Talk forum.

downtownguy
01-28-2005, 08:33 AM
I agree.. one forum is fine. Keep it simple.

metro
01-28-2005, 09:16 AM
Just to let you know, for now I'm leaning towards keeping just 1 forum and later if traffic merits it, splitting to 2. But, I'd like your opinion.

couldnt of said it better myself

Patrick
01-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Okay guys, we'll stick with 1 forum. From time to time I just like to seek your input. If you ever have suggests or comments, feel free to PM me or email me.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-28-2005, 02:51 PM
We have one of the best city forums, period. Our forum is fine as one. If we add one though, it should be on Downtown. Then, as even more traffic warrants, do one for transportation.

Patrick
01-28-2005, 03:14 PM
We'll just stick with 1 for now....I've noticed it's more of a hassle for some ot have to check multiple forums. I think Luke has commented on that before, when he recommended streamlining the forums awhile back.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Do we have a state forum? That could be a possible idea for the future. I am all for getting rid of some forums!

Patrick
01-28-2005, 03:17 PM
A state forum to discuss what???? Seems like we use most all of the forums currently on this site.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-28-2005, 03:24 PM
Other cities. Yes, we do use all of the subforums on this site, but maybe we don't really need the lifestyle section, or some other subfoum. Maybe we could get rid of a subforum that gets a post about once a week and lower our bandwidth. It would also help Luke out, LOL. I sometimes get that "surfing" feeling to. The truth is that this is a big forum. It's not up to me though. It's up to our excellant administrator, Todd, and the moderating crew. Whenever we have actually overgrown our current amount of forums, then I'll start bringing up my interjections.

Patrick
01-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Wha? Don't need the lifestyle section? That's one of our most used areas. Especially the Boardroom to Bedroom forum.

Name me a forum that gets less than 1 post a week! I don't believe there are any.

This is actually a small forum compared to the various other health forums I post on. I've been on some health boards with 35-40 forums....all of which have hundreds of threads and are used constantly.

I think this is all moot point right now. We'll wait until we get more users.

In the future, we may think about creating subforums within the OKC and Surrounding Area Talk forum instead of just 1 main forum.

Patrick
01-28-2005, 03:30 PM
One thing you have to remember....this site isn't designed to just be used by those discussing city issues. It's for all citizens to discuss a variety of issues, i.e., politics, sexuality, singles, health issues, religion, sports, etc.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-28-2005, 03:38 PM
Yes, you are right. I suppose everything is perfect as it is. :)