View Full Version : Big Announcement coming to Oklahoma River on Tuesday!

Pages : [1] 2

metro
07-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Can't say anything yet, but look for an official announcement regarding the Oklahoma River next Tuesday.

Platemaker
07-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Gee thanks metro... I won't be able to sleep the rest of the week!

metro
07-22-2009, 10:39 AM
It's not a building.

Tier2City
07-22-2009, 10:49 AM
So is this the River MAPS 3 lobby rollout?

okclee
07-22-2009, 10:54 AM
A water feature / Bellagio style fountains ??

LordGerald
07-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Prophecies of Metrodamus:

Rock lined walls run east and west,
Towers to the north,
Swimmers in the hellish waters,
Will find poop from the rains.

OKCTalker
07-22-2009, 11:06 AM
They're draining the river and planting grass due to the immediate proximity of, um, fertilizer?

megax11
07-22-2009, 11:13 AM
I know what it is.

Can I say what it is, or do I have to keep it a secret?

If it is what I think it is, shouldn't everyone and their mother know what it is?

Steve
07-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Yes Metro, I watched the replay of the Riverfront Redevelopment Authority too (I suspect that's where you saw this). At the meeting Pat Downes announced there will be an announcement coming soon involving the U.S. Olympic Committee and the Oklahoma River. My guess (haven't had time to check into it or punt yet) - a return of the rowing try-outs.

Platemaker
07-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Say it!

...or at least send it to me in a private message.

FritterGirl
07-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Has nothing to do with development, but it is very cool. So cool, in fact, people are already all "atwitter" about it.

In reality, it's news that was supposed to have been announced - and was partially celebrated - a few weeks ago, but had to be delayed. Here's a hint: Team USA (http://www.usoc.org/)

Thunder
07-22-2009, 11:19 AM
I know what it is.

Can I say what it is, or do I have to keep it a secret?

If it is what I think it is, shouldn't everyone and their mother know what it is?

Just blurt it out, already! If anyone beside Metro know, just say it!

FritterGirl
07-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Just blurt it out, already! If anyone beside Metro know, just say it!

I think metro just doesn't want to steal the thunder (pun intended) of the Boathouse Foundation as this is something they have been working very hard to accomplish and will bring great prominence to OKC! So, just be patient.

Pete
07-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Sounds like OKC may become a/the official training site for Olympic rowing.

Midtowner
07-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Nice! Hopefully the DEQ and the sale barns down off Agnew can figure out how to control their runoff problem.

megax11
07-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Okay, I'll say it...

When I heard the word BIG, I thought it was an announcement that the huge ferris wheel bought from the boardwalk in San Fran (or somewhere in Cali,) was going to be placed along the river.

OKC bought that ferris wheel, but I seem to remember people should already know about it.

Could be wrong. I just saw the word BIG announcement, and took it as that.

Platemaker
07-22-2009, 12:42 PM
You're full of it! LOL

C'mon tell us what you really know.

Jesseda
07-22-2009, 12:50 PM
okay i will say it if no one else is, it the the first and soon to be biggest event in the united states, and it will be taking place in oklahoma city for the first 5 years at least.. okay ready.. its will draw millions of spectators and thousands of challengers... the river will be crowded even though it has nothing to do with the river itself, just the outside location of it.. it is going to be the first donut hole eating championship followed by the applefritter eating champion ship, then the cream filled, then the dangerous longjohn eating championship. there will be hundred of doctors on site for this event.. with this even there will be a carnival, and make your own donut creation station for the kiddos, and the krispy king mascot himself will be there it will be a three day event fri-sun taking place in september of this year.. there i let the cat out of the bag, i hope i dont get into any trouble letting people know about this event early..

FritterGirl
07-22-2009, 12:55 PM
You're full of it! LOL

C'mon tell us what you really know.

The answer is right here under your nose.

warreng88
07-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Just got the e-mail from my friend that works for the Boathouse. Pretty big deal...

OKCisOK4me
07-22-2009, 12:58 PM
okay i will say it if no one else is, it the the first and soon to be biggest event in the united states, and it will be taking place in oklahoma city for the first 5 years at least.. okay ready.. its will draw millions of spectators and thousands of challengers... the river will be crowded even though it has nothing to do with the river itself, just the outside location of it.. it is going to be the first donut hole eating championship followed by the applefritter eating champion ship, then the cream filled, then the dangerous longjohn eating championship. there will be hundred of doctors on site for this event.. with this even there will be a carnival, and make your own donut creation station for the kiddos, and the krispy king mascot himself will be there it will be a three day event fri-sun taking place in september of this year.. there i let the cat out of the bag, i hope i dont get into any trouble letting people know about this event early..

Sounds like there will be a lot of off duty security officers there!

Thunder
07-22-2009, 01:32 PM

Sounds like there will be a lot of off duty security officers there!

Will it be sponsored by Dunkin' Donut?

Richard at Remax
07-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Awesome, another I know something you don't know thread. If you don't have anything to say then don't say anything at all

:lame:

cedbled
07-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Awesome, another I know something you don't know thread. If you don't have anything to say then don't say anything at all

:lame:

This^^^

So uh, is it big enough of an announcement to matter to people that don't give a rat's a$$ about rowing, kayaks, doo-doo river, etc?

icecold
07-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Just got this email......

Dear Members,

On Tuesday, July 28, the Oklahoma River will receive the distinction of being named a US Olympic & Paralympic Training Site for the sports of rowing and canoe/kayak. The University of Central Oklahoma is also being honored with the designation for archery and volleyball. US Olympic Committee Executive Director Stephanie Streeter and Board Member Norm Bellingham will be in Oklahoma City to make the announcement at a 10:30 am ceremony at Regatta Park on the Oklahoma River.

This honor recognizes all that the Oklahoma River has become over the past three years as host to national and international competitions including the 2008 Olympic Trials for USA Canoe/Kayak Flatwater Sprints, and as the site of the OKC National High Performance Center for both rowing and canoe/kayak. Even more, it signifies the US Olympic Committee’s confidence in Oklahoma City’s future in the Olympic Movement in this country.

We hope you can join us – and please feel free to forward this on to family and friends!

Thanks for helping us create a large turnout for this historic moment!

Shake2005
07-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Okay, I'll say it...

When I heard the word BIG, I thought it was an announcement that the huge ferris wheel bought from the boardwalk in San Fran (or somewhere in Cali,) was going to be placed along the river.

OKC bought that ferris wheel, but I seem to remember people should already know about it.

Or did you dream it?

warreng88
07-22-2009, 03:38 PM

Dear Members,

On Tuesday, July 28, the Oklahoma River will receive the distinction of being named a US Olympic & Paralympic Training Site for the sports of rowing and canoe/kayak. The University of Central Oklahoma is also being honored with the designation for archery and volleyball. US Olympic Committee Executive Director Stephanie Streeter and Board Member Norm Bellingham will be in Oklahoma City to make the announcement at a 10:30 am ceremony at Regatta Park on the Oklahoma River.

This honor recognizes all that the Oklahoma River has become over the past three years as host to national and international competitions including the 2008 Olympic Trials for USA Canoe/Kayak Flatwater Sprints, and as the site of the OKC National High Performance Center for both rowing and canoe/kayak. Even more, it signifies the US Olympic Committee’s confidence in Oklahoma City’s future in the Olympic Movement in this country.

We hope you can join us – and please feel free to forward this on to family and friends!

Same e-mail I got. Thanks for posting.

CuatrodeMayo
07-22-2009, 03:46 PM
So that is the annoucment?

Thunder
07-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Thank you, icecold!

You see, Metro, there is no need to conceal info. This is what OKCTalk is also about, being 1st in the news.

FritterGirl
07-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Just got this from the CVB:

Please join us . . .

Matt
07-22-2009, 03:56 PM
This^^^

So uh, is it big enough of an announcement to matter to people that don't give a rat's a$$ about rowing, kayaks, doo-doo river, etc?

It's important to "metro". Therefore, it should be important to everyone.

metro
07-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Yes Metro, I watched the replay of the Riverfront Redevelopment Authority too (I suspect that's where you saw this). At the meeting Pat Downes announced there will be an announcement coming soon involving the U.S. Olympic Committee and the Oklahoma River. My guess (haven't had time to check into it or punt yet) - a return of the rowing try-outs.

Info has been revealed by other sources now. Despite that, you of all people should respect timing. Don't you wait to do the same thing for priveledged info you receive? Oh well, the story leaked from multiple sources this time, despite the rumors and hints that this was a good potential for some time now.

I think metro just doesn't want to steal the thunder (pun intended) of the Boathouse Foundation as this is something they have been working very hard to accomplish and will bring great prominence to OKC! So, just be patient.

Exactly. Part of the reason I'm in the inside source on about every major announcement in this City is because I don't release info unless permission granted or I do so at the said parties timing.

Okay, I'll say it...

This has already been announced awhile back, including renderings, etc. See Humphrey's Co website or the Waterfront thread:

The Humphreys Company (http://www.humphreysco.com/#/projects/the-waterfront/)

Just got the e-mail from my friend that works for the Boathouse. Pretty big deal...

Yep

Thank you, icecold!

You see, Metro, there is no need to conceal info. This is what OKCTalk is also about, being 1st in the news.

Thunder, go read my posts for the last 5 years and then get back to me. Also see my response to FritterGirl, about why I get on the "inside" to almost every major announcement in this City, including seeing C2S models before the City Council did. If I wasn't breaking news on OKCTalk first, then you would have heard about it elsewhere first. Call me crazy, but you heard about this being official here first.

FritterGirl
07-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Part of the reason I'm in the inside source on about every major announcement in this City is because I don't release info unless permission granted or I do so at the said parties timing.

Here's part of the issue, though, metro. Several of us may be "in the know" (I've known about this particular announcement for over a month), but don't feel the need to go out and shout "lookie what I know that you don't!"

I respect the timing of the originating organization by not saying anything at all. Why steal their buzz?

:smile:

Steve
07-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Nope. I heard about this deal on Tuesday on the city's cable channel last night. And actually, this whole deal was first reported in The Oklahoman in December. The announcement finalizes what first became public months ago.
That said, www.okctalk.com is still great.

icecold
07-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Thank you, icecold!

No problem. Just trying to do my part and contribute to the board.

Steve
07-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Ice cold, you've only got 28 messages posted so far.... we expect at least 100 a day to keep up one's quota!
(Just kidding)

icecold
07-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Ice cold, you've only got 28 messages posted so far.... we expect at least 100 a day to keep up one's quota!
(Just kidding)

HAHA, no kidding.....I think I am going to stick with my quality (thats questionable) over quantity motto. :bright_id

Thunder
07-22-2009, 04:35 PM
HAHA, no kidding.....I think I am going to stick with my quality (thats questionable) over quantity motto. :bright_id

And that quality gave you the credit on revealing the announcement. :yourock:

gmwise
07-22-2009, 04:39 PM
I think we all know who to lend a ear to now

LordGerald
07-22-2009, 04:50 PM

A boy with large ego in 2000 year plus nine,
Will make bold statements in the town of square,
The chorus will erupt in laughter,
The predictor will walk away in shame.

wsucougz
07-22-2009, 05:05 PM
Exactly. Part of the reason I'm in the inside source on about every major announcement in this City is because I don't release info unless permission granted or I do so at the said parties timing.

Over the years I can't think of a single "announcement" or hint of news forthcoming made by you that I hadn't already gleaned from perusing meeting minutes, Newsok, The Journal Record, OKC biz or okmet, or even more often than not just getting in my car and going for a Sunday drive.

megax11
07-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Wow @ people calling me out, when Metro confirms it for me.

Wow @ people not even knowing. This is surprising seeing as most here know more than me.

No dream, just facts...

rondvu
07-22-2009, 05:40 PM
I hope the pig parts they found in the small creek that flows into the Oklahoma River will not jeopardize the whole deal. Just kidding of course.

kevinpate
07-22-2009, 09:04 PM
stroke stroke stroke yer egos gently down the er um I mean

row row row your boats
all along the river

Watson410
07-23-2009, 07:18 AM

Dear Members,

This is the BIG announcement?!?! What a bunch of crap!! This isn't big news! Big news would be something like them cleaning the "Oklahoma Drainage Ditch"... oh well, i guess when it comes to the river.. any news is good news.

Thunder
07-23-2009, 07:20 AM
This is the BIG announcement?!?! What a bunch of crap!! This isn't big news! Big news would be something like them cleaning the "Oklahoma Drainage Ditch"... oh well, i guess when it comes to the river.. any news is good news.

There was some dead ducks floating out there. :doh:

CuatrodeMayo
07-23-2009, 07:26 AM
...I'm in the inside source on about every major announcement in this City...

Lol. I about snorted coffee all over my keyboard.

metro
07-23-2009, 07:46 AM
:bright_id
Here's part of the issue, though, metro. Several of us may be "in the know" (I've known about this particular announcement for over a month), but don't feel the need to go out and shout "lookie what I know that you don't!"

I respect the timing of the originating organization by not saying anything at all. Why steal their buzz?

:smile:

I respected their timing by not posting the email or other information I was given. Yes I've known about this for awhile and was told yesterday that I could tell that the announcement would be made on Tuesday, but didn't want to spoil the information they were going to announce on Tuesday, due to all their hard work. It wasn't for "attention getting" like some of you think. If you truly respected them why did you post the email from the CVB?

Nope. I heard about this deal on Tuesday on the city's cable channel last night. And actually, this whole deal was first reported in The Oklahoman in December. The announcement finalizes what first became public months ago.
That said, www.okctalk.com is still great.

Oklahoman also has one of their top stories as the Taco Bell chihuahua dying. What great journalism! :LolLolLol . Anyhow the Oklahoman never said it was a done deal, but only reported about the possibility and that we were trying to achieve that designation. If you broke the news first, why didn't you do a story on this yesterday or "months ago" when it was "official" to the public, even though the official announcement isn't coming until Tuesday?

Over the years I can't think of a single "announcement" or hint of news forthcoming made by you that I hadn't already gleaned from perusing meeting minutes, Newsok, The Journal Record, OKC biz or okmet, or even more often than not just getting in my car and going for a Sunday drive.

MTP comes to mind for recent history. There have been many threads over the years I have started with info, well before any media did a story. Regardless of who may have been in the know, out of 1.2 million in the metro, I was the one who posted something about things first. Not that I care, but as many of the long-timers on this site know, I am very active and excited for all the momentum in this City and enjoy sharing any new info I get regardless of if the topic has been reported on or not. It's even more exciting when the topic hasn't been discussed. Why does anyone care, this IS A DISCUSSION BOARD, and others have the chance opportunity to either start the thread first or NOT PARTICIPATE in the discussion if they are so opposed to it. :bright_id I give up, there is no pleasing most of you on this site. :whiteflag

Jesseda
07-23-2009, 07:53 AM
This board was for letting people know info about whats happening in okc, a board where people can befriend on another and have the same passion for there city, whats going on with this going after metro thing.. At one point he was consider gold, what happened.

wsucougz
07-23-2009, 08:05 AM
MTP comes to mind for recent history. There have been many threads over the years I have started with info, well before any media did a story. Regardless of who may have been in the know, out of 1.2 million in the metro, I was the one who posted something about things first. Not that I care, but as many of the long-timers on this site know, I am very active and excited for all the momentum in this City and enjoy sharing any new info I get regardless of if the topic has been reported on or not. It's even more exciting when the topic hasn't been discussed. Why does anyone care, this IS A DISCUSSION BOARD, and others have the chance opportunity to either start the thread first or NOT PARTICIPATE in the discussion if they are so opposed to it. I give up, there is no pleasing most of you on this site. :whiteflag

Most of your "breaking news" posts consist of basically: "there is a huge announcement coming for (insert district) in the next (insert timeframe). Can't tell you, though." I guess you get some sort of a kick out of that, but it isn't particularly useful.

I wonder if it's just the nature of communication on the internet, or if your ego really is as massive in person as it appears in cyberspace.

LordGerald
07-23-2009, 08:12 AM
:bright_id

I respected their timing by not posting the email or other information I was given. Yes I've known about this for awhile and was told yesterday that I could tell that the announcement would be made on Tuesday, but didn't want to spoil the information they were going to announce on Tuesday, due to all their hard work. It wasn't for "attention getting" like some of you think. If you truly respected them why did you post the email from the CVB?

Oklahoman also has one of their top stories as the Taco Bell chihuahua dying. What great journalism! :LolLolLol . Anyhow the Oklahoman never said it was a done deal, but only reported about the possibility and that we were trying to achieve that designation. If you broke the news first, why didn't you do a story on this yesterday or "months ago" when it was "official" to the public, even though the official announcement isn't coming until Tuesday?

MTP comes to mind for recent history. There have been many threads over the years I have started with info, well before any media did a story. Regardless of who may have been in the know, out of 1.2 million in the metro, I was the one who posted something about things first. Not that I care, but as many of the long-timers on this site know, I am very active and excited for all the momentum in this City and enjoy sharing any new info I get regardless of if the topic has been reported on or not. It's even more exciting when the topic hasn't been discussed. Why does anyone care, this IS A DISCUSSION BOARD, and others have the chance opportunity to either start the thread first or NOT PARTICIPATE in the discussion if they are so opposed to it. :bright_id I give up, there is no pleasing most of you on this site. :whiteflag

Loud arrogant boy with hawk of faux,
Claims to be connected in the City of Oak,
He cuts and pastes others work from presses,
A court jester stoned by the masses.

so1rfan
07-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Great, now I can't listen to the latest Judas Priest CD without singing "I am Metrodamus"

They never broke my will
Because my heart was strong
They can't justify
I will survive

He has overpowered
It's his finest hour

Metrodamus; vindication
Metrodamus; is avenged

Metrodamus; our salvation
Metrodamus; he's avenged

Yep, good thing I still have British Steel and Ram It Down.

Matt
07-23-2009, 08:49 AM
I give up

Promise? http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2717/crossfingers.gif

metro
07-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Yeah, I won't post any more breaking news or post behind the scenes photos and renderings I have of upcoming projects after the newest Core To Shore models thread I just posted. You all can go back to reading about Southside Memories and Chick-Fil-A and I will go back to posting on others threads. You win, I'm sick of just trying to post information that hasn't been posted (and respecting others wishes who are the ones on the actual project for timed released of information) and getting flack for it.

Matt
07-23-2009, 08:53 AM
Sweet.

I'm sick of just trying to post information that hasn't been posted

Or, in this case, the information that there was going to be future information that hadn't been posted.

metro
07-23-2009, 08:59 AM
Again, see MTP thread, page 1 for recent breaking news or C2S models thread.

Steve
07-23-2009, 09:02 AM
I said this in the other thread and I'm going to say it here: gang, this seems like overkill at this point. A message has been sent by Metro's critics and either he's receptive to that criticism or not. At this point this appears to be turning into a personal attack. Metro has taken issue with me here as well, but I will argue that he's very pasionate about Oklahoma City and seems to have the best intentions toward making it better. When it comes to voice and delivery, we've all got our good and bad moments (and please, please don't remind me of my bad moments - I know I've had a few!)
-Steve

Matt
07-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Nothing wrong with being passionate about Oklahoma City, just don't be such a butthole about it.

soonerfan21
07-23-2009, 09:06 AM
I don't want to add to the piling on but feel there is an issue with confidentiality that some are willing to protect. as mentioned, many of us on the board are "in the know" but choose to wait for the appropriate time and place. and as far as the models, renderings, etc., isn't there an issue with copyright protection regarding architects' renderings?

Jesseda
07-23-2009, 09:21 AM
oh where is that crazy video of that guy crying leave britney alone, we need it one here for metro.. instead of saying britney alone it needs to say metro, can any find it and link it. i think it fits this thread well