View Full Version : Zuma ( formerly The Drunken Fry)

Pages : [1] 2 3

OKCMallen
07-22-2009, 07:51 AM
Anyone been here? I came across this review in an email. I had never even heard of it.

The Drunken Fry
Filed under: Food & Bev — Posted by Sarah @ 9:57 am

I think I have a new favorite bar (er, gastropub).

Friday night, Dwight and I went to check out The Drunken Fry (5100 Classen Circle, OKC). The Official Grand Opening is actually today, but Dwight happened to be Twittering at the right time, in the right place – and found out that they’d be quietly opening on Friday.

I like the concept of The Drunken Fry. They have sixty-five different beers, and Belgian pommes frites with eighteen different sauces. And I like the location – nestled in by the Hi-Lo, it’s the same space that once housed Sidecar. (R.I.P., Sidecar.)

We were greeted warmly at the door by a guy who, I presume, is the manager and/or owner of The Drunken Fry. The three of us discussed the interior for a few minutes – Dwight and I were shocked at how different it looks now. They’ve incorporated what used to be Sidecar’s patio area into the interior, and this seems to have practically doubled the space. (If you’ve ever been to Sidecar, you know that it was probably not much more than a thousand square feet. It may have been the tiniest bar I’ve ever seen, although the Electro Lounge comes pretty close.)

We grabbed a table, ordered a couple of beers (Coop Native Amber for me, a Stella for Dwight) from our super-nice, super-adorable waitress, and got a prompt start down the road to membership in The Drunken Fry Beer Club (drink sixty of their sixty-five beers, and your picture goes on the wall).

So, you might be wondering what the fries are like. I’m getting to that. They’re hand-cut and served in paper cones, with little ramekins of sauce on the side. If I remember correctly (I was a little too buzzed to take good notes), there were three different sizes: regular ($3.00), big ($5.00), and even bigger ($7.00). We got two regular orders, one with the #5 “The Death Starr” (truffle-mushroom-mayo) sauce, and one with the #13 “Mon Frere Pierre” (peppercorn-blue cheese) sauce.

The truffle-mushroom-mayo sauce was amazing at first, but after awhile became oppressively rich. I preferred the relatively lighter Mon Frere Pierre. As for the fries, they were cooked well – thin, crispy, not too greasy. My only complaint is that they were a little too salty, but then again, I’m not a big salt fan. I suspect most people would probably think the salt level was just fine.

Other sauces I look forward to trying are the #4 “Sidecar is Dead” (sundried tomato aioli), the #7 “My Own Private Idaho” (loaded sour cream), the #15 “Sunday Morning Coming Down” (Bloody Mary ketchup). There’s also a “Yoshimi’s Battle” (#14), but I’m a little unsure about the banana-coconut combination. Maybe I’ll work up to that one. I love the name, though.

The Drunken Fry seems like it will be a fantastic, laid-back place to hang out after work if you’re in the mood for some good beers, a great snack, and good conversation. If you want a less chilled-out scene, we were told that Sunday nights would be theme nights, and the theme for each week’s party would be posted at the bar earlier in the week.

The Drunken Fry is open seven days a week, 4:00pm – 2:00am. Check it out. You’ll probably see us there, working towards our beer club membership.

metro
07-22-2009, 07:56 AM
Do they have anything besides pomme frites?

MadMonk
07-22-2009, 08:04 AM
No lunch? Damn!

jbkrems
07-22-2009, 09:48 AM
I saw a review on the Fox Morning News today. Does anyone know if they offer any other menu items, other than beer and fries - ?

Thanks.

FritterGirl
07-22-2009, 10:32 AM
This may help: http://newsok.com/the-drunken-fry-opens-in-oklahoma-city/article/3386919

MsDarkstar
07-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Urbanspoon has a photo of their menu board listing their sauces.

The Drunken Fry Photos (http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/photo_list/1460308?photo_id=83726)

Pete
07-22-2009, 06:37 PM
I've heard they allow smoking which means I'll never set foot in the place.

OKCMallen
07-23-2009, 08:01 AM

Oh man, which means I'll be there ASAP! :woowoo:

metro
07-23-2009, 09:12 AM

Same here.

Joe Kimball
07-23-2009, 11:18 AM

Which means I'll grudgingly set foot in there and not hang out extensively...they ARE fries after all, fried in I-don't-know-what. :)

John
07-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Great concept, great beer/frites!

Went during the 'soft' opening and plan on going back many more times.

Mallen, you in?

OKCMallen
07-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Great concept, great beer/frites!

Went during the 'soft' opening and plan on going back many more times.

Mallen, you in?

Any time; you know I live right there pal! :busterbun

TwinMom09
07-23-2009, 09:01 PM
This sounds phenomenal! I just wish it was non-smoking. :( Oh well, have to save it for "date night." LOL!

Lord Helmet
07-24-2009, 08:06 AM

Well, if it's a pub, I'd expect it. I'm not gonna boycott anything based on smoke :)

Pete
07-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Just to be clear, I didn't mean my comments as a boycott, just that I would never eat in a place where people were smoking.

It literally makes me nauseous.

BTW, Oklahoma is one of only 13 states without any sort of statewide smoking ban and the only one that specifically prohibits local municipalities for imposing tougher standards.

the_Mont
07-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Sounds like a cool concept. I want to try it out soon.

RocketRN
07-26-2009, 09:13 AM
My boyfriend and I went there last night, after much anticipation due to this thread. We got the "Big Daddy" order to share, along with 4 different sauces. I gotta say, as cool of a concept as this place is, not to mention a pretty awesome beer selection, I don't think it's worth the price. We paid $11 for french fries essentially, and we were no where near full when we were done. If they were to expand their menu and offer burgers or some other bar food, this would definitely be the place to be. But $11 for a "snack" and then having to go somewhere else to buy dinner, seems too steap to bear.

metro
07-27-2009, 08:03 AM
Just to be clear, I didn't mean my comments as a boycott, just that I would never eat in a place where people were smoking.

It literally makes me nauseous.

BTW, Oklahoma is one of only 13 states without any sort of statewide smoking ban and the only one that specifically prohibits local municipalities for imposing tougher standards.

I stand with ya Pete.

Joe Kimball
07-27-2009, 08:37 AM
I was there Friday night, approaching midnight. It was a decent crowd, well-behaved, and the ventilation seemed to be working well for those leery of tobacco smoke (though for those who are nauseated by the smell, I wouldn't know).

I tried a regular just to get a feel, even as a patron near the counter heartily recommended at least a large. All told, it's about the size, more or less, of a large McDonald's fry. The fries are also of similar width, although the similarities end there. The lengths are irregular, and the skins on some potatoes are intact. The fries are fried slightly crispy while remaining less so throughout—the standard, so I read. I wasn't in the mood for sauce, so I opted for my usual mayonnaise. They're quite good fries, and well-seasoned! The paper cone adds authenticity and a bit of class replete with its specialized holder, although I remain suspect as always about the serving of food in cones—cones are known in the food industry as looking larger than what they actually hold. This isn't the type of place where you care about such things, though, and the fries ARE overflowing the top of the tallish cone.

The atmosphere is friendly.

When I return, I'll see about the sauces.

kmf563
07-27-2009, 08:49 AM
Guess I don't see the appeal for fries and beer. Maybe fish and chips...but not just overpriced fries. I don't get it. A friend of mine went Saturday and said he enjoyed it just because it was something different. I'm sure I will probably check it out but not be a frequent flyer.

asta2
07-27-2009, 02:52 PM
We were there Saturday night and had a great time. Our waitress was great! I wish I could remember her name. I loved the fries too. I have to say I didn't even notice anyone smoking or didn't notice the smell. Anyway, I think it may be my new favorite hang out.

native
07-27-2009, 04:43 PM
I was there Saturday night to with my girlfriend. Funny that we were all there on the same night. I really didn't notice anyone smoking either. Good ventilation. The dips added a nice appeal to the fries. Only down is the quantity. For $7 you would think you would get a lot more fries. I like the concept but if I return I will only be drinking beer.

hagrid
07-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Papas and beer? Sounds good to me. I never needed fancy sauces to make me order up some fries.

There used to be a cool record store right next to it. Is that still there? And any really old people who inhabited OKC's underground would remember Gil from the Hi-Lo.

He was a good friend, may he RIP.

okyeah
07-27-2009, 09:38 PM
yup the record store is still there. there's also a salon

IanMcDermid
08-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Which means I'll grudgingly set foot in there and not hang out extensively...they ARE fries after all, fried in I-don't-know-what. :)

Fries are fried in mel-fry a soy derived "super oil" we can flash these babies on their second run through the oil at 400F. To be honest is cost 5x as much as the potatoes!

Fries are of course hand cut, blanched(to rinse out the starch!), and twice fried the belgian way.

Why have I never heard of this site?!? I'm ian the proprietor btw. Come see me.

The sizes were what I thought were optimal when I was molding the concept. I want there to be a snack size that doesn't fill you up to the point where all that beer you just paid for gets soaked up by the food =)

Sizing/pricing changes are coming! Fancy sauce $1 as always, ketchup, house made mayo, etc. all on the house.

Business has been great, thanks to all the support, I look forward to seeing new faces.

ps. smoking yes, ventilation yes, don't expect a smoke box with no moving air. Happy hours are practically smoke free though. I don't myself or allow my staff to smoke if no patrons are. tip: sit next to the ventilation bank on the ext. wall, all the air moves the other direction.

metro
08-06-2009, 09:23 AM
innovative concept. thanks for joining OKCTalk. Great to have proprietors involved. Can one order some to go, for those of us who don't enjoy smoke or the bar scene?

why should your staff smoke on the clock period?

kmf563
08-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks for all the inside information Drunken Fry! And welcome to OKCTalk. I'm looking forward to visiting your business. Good luck to you.

Metro - all bar staff smoke while working in smoking establishments. It's just courteous for them to smoke off to the side or wait until customers light up.

metro
08-06-2009, 09:58 AM
so does that make it right, because so and so does it? again, we're behind the times, you won't find people smoking in clubs/bars in California or New York.

kmf563
08-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Well because so and so don't do it in Cali/NY doesn't mean we shouldn't. I'm sick of hearing how behind the times we are. This isn't Cali or NY and I like Oklahoma. I don't want it to become one of those. It's like that "Don't Edmond my Norman" slogan..."Don't California my Oklahoma."

Joe Kimball
08-06-2009, 10:16 AM
tip: sit next to the ventilation bank on the ext. wall, all the air moves the other direction.

That explains my good experience with the (lack of) smoke; I took a window seat.

hagrid
08-06-2009, 11:44 AM
so does that make it right, because so and so does it? again, we're behind the times, you won't find people smoking in clubs/bars in California or New York.

Are you sure about that?

native
08-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Chicago & Cleveland are smoke free as well.

metro
08-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Yeah, most major cities are. But no worry we're a "Big League City."

ultimatesooner
08-06-2009, 04:19 PM

u will also find people in CA/NY destorying the economy

lets be just like them

OKCMallen
08-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Went to the Fry last night...it was terrific! The fries were great, beer selection was solid, the $5 PBR + a shot special is unbeatable. The service started getting patchy toward the end of the evening...didn't stay late, but it seemed like they were understaffed. The place was about half full...not bad for a Sunday night! Highly recommend.

CCOKC
08-12-2009, 08:26 AM
I went Friday night. Talked to the owner, Ian I think is his name. We had good service. We ordered a large each because the posters here told us the servings were small but we couldn't finish our orders. Ian informed us he had taken heed of the people's complaints and had increased the portions. We liked it a lot and will be back.

Midtowner
08-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Went to the Fry last night...it was terrific! The fries were great, beer selection was solid, the $5 PBR + a shot special is unbeatable. The service started getting patchy toward the end of the evening...didn't stay late, but it seemed like they were understaffed. The place was about half full...not bad for a Sunday night! Highly recommend.

$5 for a PBR? Ouch.

Only in Oklahoma would they classify PBR as an import.

gen70
08-12-2009, 08:58 AM
$5 for a PBR? Ouch.

Only in Oklahoma would they classify PBR as an import.

If I ever pay $5 for a PBR it would have been the last beer on earth.

Joe Kimball
08-12-2009, 09:57 AM
I'm sure the "and a shot" portion is taking some of those 5 dollars as well, right?

OKCMallen
08-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Read for content guys. You get a big PBR and a SHOT. For instance, I had a shot of Jack Daniel's old number 7 and about a 16oz PBR for $5. I defy you to find a better 24/7 deal other than a drown night.

MoeStooge
08-14-2009, 06:37 PM
u will also find people in CA/NY destorying the economy

lets be just like them

Only in Oklahoma do people relish in being backwater....

People like Metro aren't ripping this state because they like other places that much better, they are ripping it because they want us to be better. Small-mindedness is nothing to be proud of.

PennyQuilts
08-14-2009, 07:02 PM
It is not small minded to refuse to be ashamed of your state. I have had the opportunity to live elsewhere so can compare it to other places. In some areas Oklahoma is MUCH, much better. In others, not. If you are looking for an urban experience such as what you would find in NYC, you are going to be out of luck in OKC. New Yorkers are a completely different breed than Oklahomans. If you want the Oklahoma experience, don't go there. And bitching and moaning won't make NYC or Austin or Atlanta or Washington or Seattle or Denver be Oklahoma City. They are all different. OKC is my dream place - the pace, the wide open spaces, I even love the wind. My kids love NYC. Different strokes. Just because OKC isn't just like some of these other places is not a problem and appreciating it is certainly not small minded. It is small minded to assume that the rest of the world is better than Oklahoma. And it isn't backwater. If you lived elsewhere for any length of time, you'd realize that. It is just different.

Midtowner
08-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Read for content guys. You get a big PBR and a SHOT. For instance, I had a shot of Jack Daniel's old number 7 and about a 16oz PBR for $5. I defy you to find a better 24/7 deal other than a drown night.

Sorry, reading comp is all used up.

IanMcDermid
08-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Hello again okctalk peeps it's Ian again, sorry for the lapse in reponse it's been a busy week!

yes I have increased the sizes as per feedback on this forum! The regular is now the large the large is now the big daddy and the big daddy is now a MASSIVE parchment cone of crispy shoestring fries.

Yes also that $5 PBR comes with a shot of anything in the house except my single malt scotches, and ultra premium spirits; patron, chopin vodka, etc.

call me crazy but a PBR and a jack daniels is $5 and a jack daniels is $6! although the jack by itself is %50 larger pour =) I love drinking cheap just as much as the next guy. But if you're feeling like westmalle dubble and highland park 18 neat with a splash of soda I've got that too.

And yes we all smoke it's a service industry thing, but we are all vigilant about the hand washing and no hands EVER touch the frites!

I was interested in the OKC vs BIG CITY talk. My 2cents is: I've been all around the world in my short years on this planet and experienced everything from scary dirty metropolis to scary clean&wholesome villages. And I can honestly say I love OKC for it's blend of culture AND "backwoods". OKC; It's a little bit country...it's a little bit ROCK&ROOLLLLLA.

When the day comes when we can't simultaneously smoke cigarettes, hork down BBQ ribs, and gulp kentucky bourbon in a public place for all to watch our blatant disregard for health and couth! We will have lost a little bit of what I believe america is all about; everyone doing what they want no matter what the consequences!

But seriously sarcasm aside this is one of the last places where people can smoke in a public place and as a smoker I really do enjoy and appreciate the luxury. That being said I do make great efforts to make my non-smoking peeps comfortable, and will continue to do so.

And to the patchy service I do apologize, the Fry makes a bit of a transition from tavern/pub to bar at night, seats fill up, crowd gets louder, energy levels rise and the service regretably has less time to socialize with the clientele. BUT, I do pride myself on service! It is my #1 priority to provide the best bar service in town. Come check out hailey the nights she works, she is my shining star of customer service...I'll be submitting her for gazette's best server of okc 2010.

Bye all, I'm headed up to the fry for ladies night and miller highlife drown =)
it's 90's night this week too.
Ian

OKCMallen
08-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Sorry, reading comp is all used up.

Understandably. Look forward to hearing of your passing the bar. :congrats:

OKCMallen
08-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Hello again okctalk peeps it's Ian again, sorry for the lapse in reponse it's been a busy week!

yes I have increased the sizes as per feedback on this forum! The regular is now the large the large is now the big daddy and the big daddy is now a MASSIVE parchment cone of crispy shoestring fries.

Yes also that $5 PBR comes with a shot of anything in the house except my single malt scotches, and ultra premium spirits; patron, chopin vodka, etc.

call me crazy but a PBR and a jack daniels is $5 and a jack daniels is $6! although the jack by itself is %50 larger pour =) I love drinking cheap just as much as the next guy. But if you're feeling like westmalle dubble and highland park 18 neat with a splash of soda I've got that too.

And yes we all smoke it's a service industry thing, but we are all vigilant about the hand washing and no hands EVER touch the frites!

I was interested in the OKC vs BIG CITY talk. My 2cents is: I've been all around the world in my short years on this planet and experienced everything from scary dirty metropolis to scary clean&wholesome villages. And I can honestly say I love OKC for it's blend of culture AND "backwoods". OKC; It's a little bit country...it's a little bit ROCK&ROOLLLLLA.

When the day comes when we can't simultaneously smoke cigarettes, hork down BBQ ribs, and gulp kentucky bourbon in a public place for all to watch our blatant disregard for health and couth! We will have lost a little bit of what I believe america is all about; everyone doing what they want no matter what the consequences!

But seriously sarcasm aside this is one of the last places where people can smoke in a public place and as a smoker I really do enjoy and appreciate the luxury. That being said I do make great efforts to make my non-smoking peeps comfortable, and will continue to do so.

And to the patchy service I do apologize, the Fry makes a bit of a transition from tavern/pub to bar at night, seats fill up, crowd gets louder, energy levels rise and the service regretably has less time to socialize with the clientele. BUT, I do pride myself on service! It is my #1 priority to provide the best bar service in town. Come check out hailey the nights she works, she is my shining star of customer service...I'll be submitting her for gazette's best server of okc 2010.

Bye all, I'm headed up to the fry for ladies night and miller highlife drown =)
it's 90's night this week too.
Ian

Thanks for keeping us updated, and thanks for your twitter updates. I'll be the first to admit I like reading the DF's updates to find out what's going on!, esp what playlists are on the iPods. :)

the_Mont
08-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Tried it last night. Great sauces and fries. They were out of PBR, so it was High Life and a Shot, still a good deal. And Ian, I really want to steal that rooster in the bathroom!

kmf563
08-18-2009, 09:52 AM
It is not small minded to refuse to be ashamed of your state. I have had the opportunity to live elsewhere so can compare it to other places. In some areas Oklahoma is MUCH, much better. In others, not. If you are looking for an urban experience such as what you would find in NYC, you are going to be out of luck in OKC. New Yorkers are a completely different breed than Oklahomans. If you want the Oklahoma experience, don't go there. And bitching and moaning won't make NYC or Austin or Atlanta or Washington or Seattle or Denver be Oklahoma City. They are all different. OKC is my dream place - the pace, the wide open spaces, I even love the wind. My kids love NYC. Different strokes. Just because OKC isn't just like some of these other places is not a problem and appreciating it is certainly not small minded. It is small minded to assume that the rest of the world is better than Oklahoma. And it isn't backwater. If you lived elsewhere for any length of time, you'd realize that. It is just different.

Well said. :congrats:

OKCMallen
08-18-2009, 10:25 AM

Exactly. Right in the vein of "Don't Edmond My Norman"...."Don't NYC My OKC."

IanMcDermid
08-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Tried it last night. Great sauces and fries. They were out of PBR, so it was High Life and a Shot, still a good deal. And Ian, I really want to steal that rooster in the bathroom!

Suppliers left me hanging on PBR yesterday so I used highlife left from sunday. It's back on today. And yes...everyone wants my rooster/cock, I've had to chase a couple of people down the sidewalk for it!

Sorry I wasn't here to serve ya, monday is my take everything home and do the weeksend paperwork day. =(

fromdust
08-22-2009, 12:51 AM
so i went there and i have a ? is it a gay bar? cuz by the crowd that was there im pretty sure it is.

Double Edge
08-23-2009, 07:25 AM
Gay people... no problem. Smoking...have fun without me!

(Straight, ex-smoker)

OKCMallen
08-24-2009, 11:20 AM
so i went there and i have a ? is it a gay bar? cuz by the crowd that was there im pretty sure it is.

Nope. It's an everyone bar.

onthestrip
08-24-2009, 12:24 PM
I made it there last week. I'm a fan already, delicious fries, nice atmosphere, and good music. Look forward to returning.

JohnDenver
08-24-2009, 01:04 PM
I want to go, but driving past, I can't tell where the entrance is located. Is it the door facing the busy street? Or on the side of the neighborhood?

OKCMallen
08-25-2009, 07:49 AM
The door is on the Classen Circle (busy street) side of the building.

Fastfwd
08-25-2009, 01:43 PM
I stopped by last week….. I can remember on my trip to San Francisco that the guide book really touted the Belgian fries from some place there in San Fran. I tracked it down during my stay there to try them out. It’s cool that we have a place of our own here now.

Good to see somebody offer the Coop beers. That was the first that I’ve seen their porter. Man, they nailed it! Best Coop beer I’ve had yet. I do wish that for a local brewery their pints would go for $4.

Seemed like a pretty cool place. I can see hitting it for a few beers on a night out.

GOCUBS!
08-25-2009, 01:56 PM
I went with a girlfriend of mine a couple of weeks ago...good crowd, great service and really wasn't smokey at all. BUT, the CO-ED bathroom situation is NOT GOOD! Both bathrooms were GROSS! I could tell they had been cleaned that day, but dudes just yuck up a bathroom...quick.

GOCUBS!
08-25-2009, 10:19 PM
what's up with the co-ed bathrooms? yuck!

IanMcDermid
08-26-2009, 05:44 AM
Mmmm more good feedback I love it =)

Ya it's an everyone bar like mallen said. Although it hasn't happened yet I have offered for anyone in drag to drink free high life on ladies night haha. Anyone wearing high heels and makeup DESERVES to drink free for a few hours a week.

And the COOP! unfortunately it's wholesale price dictates my retail price. Talk to JD merryweather on that one, but I know operating a small-time local brewery that only does kegs creates a mountain of costs. Mostly in ingredient which I have seen firsthand and I must say they are top shelf. Must be why that porter is do damn gooooood! ;)

BUT I will add that my DNR is the cheapest in town ($5) it's twice the purchase investment but I still maintain the dollar profit ratio to the other flavors rather than a %tage of cost.

Thanks ya'll
Ian