View Full Version : former OU QB Jamelle Holieway arrested

nighttrain12
07-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Tulsa World: Former OU quarterback Holieway arrested (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090721_92_0_Former911044)

Shoplifting $86.21 of merchandise? I wonder if it was DVD's or perhaps jewelry? The worse part is they both already had outstanding warrants for other (relatively minor) things.

PennyQuilts
07-22-2009, 04:11 AM
Stupid, stupid, stupid. Why would someone do this? What sort of pathology would cause someone with as much going for them as all that to do something so stupid? Grrrr.

kevinpate
07-22-2009, 05:20 AM
stupid is as stupid does

so1rfan
07-22-2009, 07:21 AM
Stupid, stupid, stupid. Why would someone do this? What sort of pathology would cause someone with as much going for them as all that to do something so stupid? Grrrr.

It's been 20 years since he played for OU and has done nothing since then but get arrested.

SoonerDave
07-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Unfortunately, I think Holieway is one of those athletic types who never quite transitioned out of their days of collegiate stardom into a more conventional adult life. Heck, I'm sure it can't be easy to be nationally known, win championships, have fame rained down on you, then it all goes away just as quickly...

I think he's had several bouts with the law - mostly minor (but still stupid) things like this petty theft as I recall - but one incident a few years back was reported to have included his having warned an officer something like (and this is NOT a precise quote) ...don't you know who I am....I was a national championship quarterback at OU... ..and as someone correctly pointed out, that was nearly a quarter-century ago.

Fame can be a cruel master if you don't keep your head on straight, or don't have someone to help keep you straight to begin with.

Sad.

Stan Silliman
07-28-2009, 05:09 PM
I think Holieway was hurt at the end of his college career and never got to cash in on pro football. Usually, even if its only Canadian or European ball, that helps set up a nest egg players can convert into a small business.

I'm surprised he's still in the area.

bluedogok
07-28-2009, 06:11 PM
He was, he never came back to complete form after blowing out his knee on Owen Field against OSU. I think when your game is built on the sudden cut and you blow it out on one, mentally it is a very difficult thing to come back from. I think he went back to California for awhile but eventually found a decent support network in Oklahoma, that is why I think he came back.

SoonerDave
07-29-2009, 07:59 AM
Yeah, he did blow out his knee, and he never was quite the same, but in all honesty I don't think even without the injury he had much of a legitimate shot at the pros, even in Canada. J.C. Watts made the transition to the CFL because he was tall and had a good throwing arm, and had a very successful career there. Holieway's strength as an option quarterback, relatively small stature, very quick, were disadvantages for much of a future in the NFL, and even then, certainly not as a QB.

I really thought he had kinda gotten his life in order after the last bout with the law...here's hoping he does eventually before he gets in even worse trouble...