View Full Version : The Official OKCTALK.com weight loss thread

Midtowner
01-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Post your weight loss questions and accomplishments in this thread:

Patrick
01-27-2005, 04:50 PM
I've lost 10 pounds over the past month. I was 175 lbs, I'm now down to 165. In high school I was 150 lbs. At UCO (1998-2002) I reached a high of 190 lbs. It would be nice to get back down to that!

Luke
01-27-2005, 05:08 PM
I was at 167 six months ago. Now i'm just under 155. I'm not fat by any means, I just wanted to lose the baby fat and gain some muscle. I've been having success.

I went from a high weight of 205 early in my college career. Whew!

Patrick
01-27-2005, 05:15 PM
Luke, your story sounds like mine. How have you lost the weight?

I just haven't been eating as much, and have been trying to exercise more.

Luke
01-27-2005, 05:38 PM
How I lost weight? Bodyweight exercises, self-resistance and visualized resistance. Also eat a healthy meal every 2 to 3 hours.

Example:
5:15 AM: Bran cereal with skim milk
7:45 AM: Progresso soup (around 200 calories and very very low fat per can)
10:00AM: Nectarine, 1/2 tuna sandwich on sprouted bread, baby carrots
12:40 PM: 1/2 tuna sandwich, bbq chicken breast, baby carrots, fat free yogurt
3:00 PM: Orange and baby carrots
5:30 PM: Egg whites on toast with jelly
7:30 PM: Huge cabbage salad with low fat raspberry vinaigrette
9:30 PM: Baked tostitos dipped in low fat cottage cheese (wierd, but good)

That's a sample menu from today actually.

The exercises I do are from http://www.bronzebowpublishing.com.

Patrick
01-27-2005, 06:00 PM
I think you need to market your weight loss diet. It resembles Dr. Phil's! I can't find a single item on this list that would violate his recommendations. Did you use any sources to put your menu together? How long have you been eating this more healthy diet? I've been thinking about changing some of the things I eat. Any recommednations would help, so if you're referencing sources, please let me know!

Splurging on a sandwich from Charley's Steakery at Penn Square today probbly wasn't a good idea! lol!

Keith
01-27-2005, 07:40 PM
Well, when I was just out of high school, back in 1979, I weighed 130 LBS. My metabolism was real high, so I could eat anything and not gain a pound. Age and medication have caught up with me, though. I actually have done pretty well until about 6-7 years ago. I started taking medication that killed my high metabolism, so I am now up to 185.

During the spring and summer, since I do lawns on the side, I lose quite a bit of weight, due to the fact I drink lots of water and eat less. When winter comes, I slack off on exercise, so you know what that means. I am not by any means fat, I just have a little overhang that blocks the view of my belt buckle:LolLolLol .

Luke
01-27-2005, 08:32 PM
For the record, I haven't read Dr. Phil's book. I got those food recommendations from a book called "Miracle Seven" by that publishing company I referenced, Bronze Bow Publishing. It's a great book to get into all around fitness.

Patrick
01-27-2005, 09:15 PM
Thanks Luke! I think I'm going to purchase that book. When I get married in May and get out from under my parent's roof, my diet is drastically going to change! lol! Actually, I've already started cutting carbs, probably the reason for some loss, but I'm wanting to focus more on fruits, vegetables, some grains, and lean meats!

Anyways, I've enjoyed the discussion.

If anyone else has recommendations, feel free to jump into the discussion.

Luke
01-28-2005, 04:39 AM
As you can see by my eating style, carbs make up about 75% of my diet. Every civilization that has survived for any length of time ate a majority of carbs, not meat. While Adkins may work temporarily, I'd really be curious is anyone can stay on such a non-balanced eating style for any real length of time (10 years or more).

Patrick
01-28-2005, 12:27 PM
From reading Dr. Phil's book, I think it's more the type of carbs you eat. Obviously, fruits have quite a few carbs, but they're not as fattening as snack cakes or cookies. I think it has to do more with the fact that the latter has more processed sugar.

Midtowner
01-28-2005, 01:04 PM
I've lost 10 lbs this month. I work out for about 1.5 hours a day, 5 days per week. I eat fairly healthy. I play raquetball quite a bit as well -- very high intensity.

dirtrider73068
02-12-2005, 05:32 PM
I weigh in at around 135 to 145, pending on what I eat if anything. I keep pretty active doing anythign requires moving even the simplest thing. If I hav eto go out side and stand around walk arounf the yard yard work or cleaning up my out side work area.

mranderson
02-13-2005, 10:44 AM
I will not reveal my weight, but say I have a fair amount to lose. What I am doing is partly simple and partly difficult.

I work on the ninth floor, so I will litrally run down the stairs to the basement during breaks and twice at lunch. When I leave for the day, I will walk down the stairs. My co workers have already noticed the difference, plus my slacks are getting baggy.

The hard part. I am litrally addicted to sugar (if there are any naysayers, I have been so diagnosed by a physician). So, I must lay off all sugar or have someone help me control my intake. That alone helps. Plus, I reduce the amount I eat. That is the hardest part. I have an eating disorder called binge eating disorder (medical diagnosis has also been made), which causes me to eat everything in sight when I get bored, upset or any number of emotions. Being around people I like relaxes me to the point it controls it, but that is not alwasy the answer.

So far, since I started this, I have lost nearly 20 pounds. A fair amount to go.

Midtowner
02-14-2005, 06:01 PM
I will not reveal my weight, but say I have a fair amount to lose. What I am doing is partly simple and partly difficult.

I work on the ninth floor, so I will litrally run down the stairs to the basement during breaks and twice at lunch. When I leave for the day, I will walk down the stairs. My co workers have already noticed the difference, plus my slacks are getting baggy.

The hard part. I am litrally addicted to sugar (if there are any naysayers, I have been so diagnosed by a physician). So, I must lay off all sugar or have someone help me control my intake. That alone helps. Plus, I reduce the amount I eat. That is the hardest part. I have an eating disorder called binge eating disorder (medical diagnosis has also been made), which causes me to eat everything in sight when I get bored, upset or any number of emotions. Being around people I like relaxes me to the point it controls it, but that is not alwasy the answer.

So far, since I started this, I have lost nearly 20 pounds. A fair amount to go.

Congratulations. It sounds like you're having a lot of physical and mental success here. Want to feel a true sense of accomplishment? Buy yourself some 20 pound dumb bells -- they're decently heavy and when you pick them up, you'll get a real sense on exactly how much weight you've shed.

Keep it up.

Midtowner
03-28-2005, 01:42 PM

Congrats on 50 pounds. That's a hell of an accomplishment. It will be tough to keep off, but I'll bet you can do it.

Your new picture compared with your old one doesn't even look like the same person. I'll bet you don't feel like the same person anymore either.

Ms.Relaxationstation
03-28-2005, 02:11 PM
In 9 weeks, I've lost 17.6lbs. I workout 6 days a week. 45min to 1 hr of cardio at least 5 days a week with weight training/kickboxing 3 times a week. I watch what I eat although I'm not on a strict "can't eat that" diet. Slowly but surel y the weight is coming off. I can tell more in my clothing than on the scales. I'm not one to have to be at a certain weight to be happy. As long as I feel good and look good is what matters most.

:tweeted:

mranderson
03-28-2005, 03:08 PM
"As long as I feel good and look good is what matters most"

For you, Relaxation, that is the easy part.

ibda12u
04-27-2005, 12:35 PM
How are you doing now mranderson? I would like to give it a shot, if it's still working. I never really thought about walking down the stairs.

mranderson
04-27-2005, 12:56 PM
cruising 40 pounds off and shrinking. Actually, I run down ten flights four times a day. Plus walk between one and tree miles every possible day.

In addition, I have drastically reduced and altered my diet, and am taking the advise of medical professionals I know. Example. When I replaced some slacks, I tossed the bigger ones in the garbage.

ibda12u
04-27-2005, 01:00 PM
Wow.
I am trying to get off of the sugary drinks, and get to drinking more of just water. We'll I guess I'll give it a shot. If you even have time maybe you can PM me some more tips :)

Thanks,

mranderson
05-16-2005, 02:43 PM
Over 45 pounds and still losing. I weigh less than I have in more than ten years.

Lots of walking (even down the stairs), eating better, and staying on my meds.

Soon, I will need to make a slacks replacement run. I will make a shorts replacement run this weekend. They are mighty large now.:busterbun

Luke
05-16-2005, 07:04 PM
I think i'm done with my losing fat weight phase and am going into the building muscle mass phase. So, interestingly, I'm trying to gain weight.... muscle weight. I'm having success so far. I think i've probaby added around 5 pounds of sheer muscle mass since I lost all my fat weight and bottomed out at 155. I'm at 161 now.

Keith
05-16-2005, 07:45 PM
I still have a problem with sweets, however, I am really working hard on cutting back on them. Of course, it didn't help that I had two big slices of wedding cake at Patrick's wedding reception. If I'm not mistaken, mranderson indulged in some cake too...man, what was he thinking:doh: ?

Anyway, almost every day at work, myself and two other young ladies that I associate with, usually take 15 minute walks around our parking lot, twice a day. It gives us a chance to talk and it helps burn those calories. Plus, the fact that I take care of 7 acres in Moore, and usually walk the acres, taking care of the landscape.

I know that I am losing weight, because I can feel it. I am starting to lose some of my gut, the muscles in my calves are getting stronger, and I am gaining some chest and arm strength(That's from all the weedeating I do). And to top it all off, I feel so much better because of it. I was at 190 pounds, and I feel that I have lost at least 10 lbs.

~~*DarlingDiva*~~
05-30-2005, 10:19 PM
Whoo Hoo,

I can join this thread now too.I started working out very regularly on May,1st.Trying to get all lean and tone for my sons graduation from high school in june.Anyway so far I have lost 11 pounds and Im going strong.Eating right plenty of water and try to get to the gym 6 days a week.If I miss I hit the treadmill at home for at least 30-45 minutes to feel like I at least did something.
DD

bandnerd
12-27-2005, 01:43 PM
I thought I might bump this up for those who have New Year's resolutions to lose weight/build muscle/become healthier in general.

I have to fit into my wedding dress in June, and I have let myself go this holiday season. When it arrived in October (yes, I'm an early shopper!) it "fit" and I mean there was hardly any room to breathe. If I didn't have to wear all that stupid under-stuff to suck things in it would have fit better lol. However, I know if I tried it on right now, it would not be comfortable and I doubt very much my lungs would be able to work. So while I've got the rest of this week/weekend before the kiddos come back to my classroom, I figured I'd get a jumpstart on my health.

I joined a website for $9/mo that I can enter all my food into and it tells me how many calories, fat grams, protein, carbs, vitamins, minerals, sodium, etc. etc. etc. I've eaten, along with exercise logging capabilities AND when you finish logging for the day, it says things like "in one month you will weigh XXX pounds. In three months you will weigh XXX pounds." What a great motivator! It told me today, if I eat like today and work out like today, that in three months I will be 20 pounds less! I'm afraid to lose that much because I don't want to have to get my dress altered that much, but if it happens, it happens...sure would be nice to be slim for the honeymoon ;)

Join in, everyone! It's time we took Oklahoma off the "fat list!"

Jack
12-27-2005, 03:04 PM
I've gained 10 pounds in 6 months! LOL!

bandnerd
12-29-2005, 07:11 PM
Come on, people! I've already lost 2 pounds! Granted, they were the 2 pounds I gained over the holidays but still, it's improvement!