View Full Version : Broome's Fried Pies (closed)

Pages : [1] 2

FriedPies101
07-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Greetings,

Has anyone here tried Broome's Fried Pies, located on the (southbound) I-35 Service RD just south of Hefner RD ? If so, what is your take on your experience there ?

For those who have yet to try us, we are independently owned and operated and are open Wednesday through Friday from 6am till 7pm and on Saturday & Sunday from 7am till 7pm. Our address is 10603 N I-35 Service RD (for those who may want to map our location).

We serve a variety of traditional fruit and cream filled pies. We also serve several meat filled pies which may be enjoyed at breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to give us a call at 405.478.9090 or send us an email at friedpies101@gmail.com.

Thanks,

Broome

kevinpate
07-19-2009, 04:19 AM
Is there a website? I likes pie.

Thunder
07-19-2009, 05:14 AM
I'm just curious. Why close on Monday and Tuesday?

JerzeeGrlinOKC
07-19-2009, 07:53 AM
It is a great, simple place. The pies are amazing! My fave is the peach. To top it all off, the staff is incredible friendly to the point that even if the pies were not incredibly awesome (which is not the case), I'd still come back. Great service makes good food taste even better.

They are probably closed Monday and Tuesday because they probably get more of their business on weekends, my guess. Sounds like a good business strategy to me. Plus it appears to be a small family-run operation and my guess is that they probably don't have a wide array of staff to keep the place open all days. But I'm only speculating.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
07-19-2009, 07:55 AM
Greetings,

Has anyone here tried Broome's Fried Pies, located on the (southbound) I-35 Service RD just south of Hefner RD ? If so, what is your take on your experience there ?

For those who have yet to try us, we are independently owned and operated and are open Wednesday through Friday from 6am till 7pm and on Saturday & Sunday from 7am till 7pm. Our address is 10603 N I-35 Service RD (for those who may want to map our location).

We serve a variety of traditional fruit and cream filled pies. We also serve several meat filled pies which may be enjoyed at breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to give us a call at 405.478.9090 or send us an email at friedpies101@gmail.com.

Thanks,

Broome

Oh didn't even read the first post here. Great job Broome! You guys rock!

RealJimbo
07-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Yep, time for my Broome's Fried Pie fix! My favorites are cherry, apricot and apple.

FriedPies101
07-21-2009, 09:03 AM
<< I'm just curious. Why close on Monday and Tuesday? >>

Up until this week, we have been open seven days per week (13 hours per day + 2hours for setup / cleanup + 1.5 hours drive time). Either my wife or I are in the store 98% of the time. Being that we really need a little rest and that Mondays and Tuesdays are not our busiest days of the week, we decided it would be best to close the doors on those two days - so far, this move has already reaped some good benefits.

Broome

FriedPies101
07-21-2009, 09:04 AM
We are currently working on a new and improved website.

FriedPies101
07-21-2009, 09:06 AM
<< Great job Broome! You guys rock! >>

Thanks JerzeeGrlnOKC & RealJimbo. Looking forward to your next visit.

Broome

metro
07-21-2009, 10:34 AM
I've had the fried pies place over on NW 50th just west of Portland. It's pretty good.

RealJimbo
07-21-2009, 02:01 PM
The pies on NW 50th can't compare to Broome's. Right, Mr. B.?

FriedPies101
07-25-2009, 06:32 PM
The pies on NW 50th can't compare to Broome's. Right, Mr. B.?

They have been there for twelve years. I have a long way to go before I can compare to the good they have done over that period of time.

Tee
07-29-2009, 03:05 PM
I was in Australia, recently and meat pies seem to be a staple in the Aussie diet. It is a food I became fond of during my trip. Heretofore, I'd seen the fried pies posted along the roadways near I 35 but my curiousity was finally piqued. I stopped by yesterday and there was no business happening. I viewed the display in the window and saw the menu and left wondering if Fried Pies was still in business. I got home and googled. That is how I found OKC Talk and the new store hours. Scored today. Took the kids for lunch and a take out. Tried the Beef Pot pie and the pepperoni pizza pot pie. Big hits. Then we splurged on dessert pies. Apple, Peach, Browni (how decadent is that!) and Pecan. OH, man! I'm hooked. I pass Broomes on the way to and from work. I see me calling in an order to pick up for my work crew and I see me stopping on the way home to pick up for the family.

Mr. Broome, a few suggestions. Update your sign outside the establishment with the current business hours and you might consider a phone message that relays that info, too. By the way, your staff was friendly and courteous.

RealJimbo
07-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Went by yesterday at noon and got myself a cherry pie and a blackberry pie for Mrs. Realjimbo. Mmmmm. I'll be back soon.

FriedPies101
08-02-2009, 11:19 AM
I was in Australia, recently and meat pies seem to be a staple in the Aussie diet. It is a food I became fond of during my trip. Heretofore, I'd seen the fried pies posted along the roadways near I 35 but my curiousity was finally piqued. I stopped by yesterday and there was no business happening. I viewed the display in the window and saw the menu and left wondering if Fried Pies was still in business. I got home and googled. That is how I found OKC Talk and the new store hours. Scored today. Took the kids for lunch and a take out. Tried the Beef Pot pie and the pepperoni pizza pot pie. Big hits. Then we splurged on dessert pies. Apple, Peach, Browni (how decadent is that!) and Pecan. OH, man! I'm hooked. I pass Broomes on the way to and from work. I see me calling in an order to pick up for my work crew and I see me stopping on the way home to pick up for the family.

Mr. Broome, a few suggestions. Update your sign outside the establishment with the current business hours and you might consider a phone message that relays that info, too. By the way, your staff was friendly and courteous.

Tee, thank you for the compliments and suggestions. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed our pies (especially the brownie).

We have a sign on our door stating the temporary change in hours. We will look to move back to our old hours once things pick up a bit. We are also working on a few additional items such as phone upgrades and better signage.

Again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to your next visit.

Broome

funky977
08-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Went yesterday around lunch time. Met Broome and his fried pies. Let me just say, Wow. Excellent pies. I had the Hot Link, Sausage, Egg and Cheese, Chocolate Cream and Blueberry. The Blueberry is for a limited time, but I would suggest it stay on the menu, it reminded me of my grandmother's blueberry pie. All had great flavor and I will be back again. I need to get the Brownie Pie.

Matt

metro
08-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Found these videos of Broomes on FOX 25:

KOKH FOX 25 :: Morning News (http://www.okcfox.com/newsroom/morning_news/videos/vid_158.shtml)

KOKH FOX 25 :: Morning News (http://www.okcfox.com/newsroom/morning_news/videos/vid_159.shtml)

FriedPies101
08-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Went yesterday around lunch time. Met Broome and his fried pies. Let me just say, Wow. Excellent pies. I had the Hot Link, Sausage, Egg and Cheese, Chocolate Cream and Blueberry. The Blueberry is for a limited time, but I would suggest it stay on the menu, it reminded me of my grandmother's blueberry pie. All had great flavor and I will be back again. I need to get the Brownie Pie.

Matt

Thank you, Matt, for stopping by as well as posting your review. Your feedback is essential to allowing us to determine if we will keep the Fried Blueberry Pie on the menu as well as knowing where our strengths and areas for improvement are. The Fried Blueberry Pie will be on special on tomorrow for 2.29.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Broome

RealJimbo
08-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Last week's special was pineapple. It was GREAT! I haven't been there this week but I plan to.

RealJimbo
08-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Thursday's the day...I'm going by Broome's on my way to work. Gotta have me some BROOME'S!!!

easternobserver
09-06-2009, 06:03 PM
My wife brought some home on the way back from the doctor yesterday. Wow --- SOOO GOOD. She had hotlink and said it was amazing, and we shared chocolate, apple and blueberry. The blueberry was really good. The apple was good, but was crying for some vanilla ice cream. I tend to like fruit pies more, but the chocolate filling was well done as well. Crust had great taste and texture, not at all greasy. I will be looking for excuses to drive in that direction quite often.

QueCeraCera
09-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Best fried pies. I prefer fruit filling but the Coconut Cream and Chocolate pies are delicious.

Jesseda
09-07-2009, 09:47 AM
what kind of seating is at broomes fried pies, is it all tables,all booths, or is it just a place to order and take out? I noticed this place last week when i took my kids to frontier city, we stopped at the gas station next to it. WE are going to frontier city again in 2 weeks and just might try it. Is it kid friendly? age 3 and 4

metro
09-08-2009, 07:51 AM
My wife brought some home on the way back from the doctor yesterday. Wow --- SOOO GOOD. She had hotlink and said it was amazing, and we shared chocolate, apple and blueberry. The blueberry was really good. The apple was good, but was crying for some vanilla ice cream. I tend to like fruit pies more, but the chocolate filling was well done as well. Crust had great taste and texture, not at all greasy. I will be looking for excuses to drive in that direction quite often.

:LolLolLol ah yes, nothing like eating some fried pies after going to the doctor.....only in oklahoma.

Jesseda
09-11-2009, 07:23 AM
i saw broomes on the news this morning, boy does that breakfast pie sound good, i didnt know they did breakfast, plus got to see broome on t.v he seems likea friendly person, mr. broome do you have a chorizo and egg pie lol. I plan on going up there on the 26th after fronteir city treate for the family..

QueCeraCera
09-11-2009, 07:38 AM
what kind of seating is at broomes fried pies, is it all tables,all booths, or is it just a place to order and take out? I noticed this place last week when i took my kids to frontier city, we stopped at the gas station next to it. WE are going to frontier city again in 2 weeks and just might try it. Is it kid friendly? age 3 and 4

Jesseda,
Broomes is a small friendly environment. They have 3-4 tables. It is very informal. You place your order at the counter and they make your pie fresh. Drinks are kept in a refridgerator by the counter so you make your drink selection when you place your order. They also have coffee and tea. Don't forget a dollop of icecream on that hot pie!!!

This is a review from Urban Spoon
Broome's Fried Pies - Suburban Northside - Oklahoma City | Urbanspoon (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/1445331/restaurant/Suburban-Northside/Broomes-Fried-Pies-Oklahoma-City)

"Best fried pie crust ever" by A Tevington (592 reviews)
June 27, 2009 - Really likes it - This shoestring operation produces the absolute best fried pie crust ever found. I say that without the slightest bit of exaggeration. In a previous review of another fried pie joint, I said these southern takes on baked Welsh pasties should be avoided because they're laden with grease. I eat my words. These are not greasy at all. The crust is flaky and tastes divine. Robert Broome and his staff create two types of these wonders: fruit pies and meat pies--a category that includes the meatless mushroom and spinach pie. The meat pies are delicious varieties of beef, pork and chicken. The fruit pies are tremendous concoctions of blackberry, apple, apricot and more. The fruit category also includes cream pies. If your only exposure to fruit fried pies comes from those awful things sold at McDonald's, you'll be overwhelmed when you come here. Recognize this is a new and struggling business, which despite being on the Interstate service road is in a poor traffic location. They've put their money into the kitchen and ingredients, figuring most folks will carry out. There are three tables and seven chairs in a mostly empty, austere dining room if you choose to eat in. I recommend eating in even with the undesireable seating because these pies are best hot and you'll want to try another one.

QueCeraCera
09-11-2009, 07:48 AM
This may induce you to stop by
Half Off Certificate For Broomes Fried Pies (http://www.halfoffdeals.com/show-deal.php?promo_id=77464)

Jesseda
09-11-2009, 09:14 AM
ohhh okay mouth really atering right now, i live in moore, but will be up that way in two weeks, im not taking my kids to the state fair this year ( to crazy and expensive) so we are doing fronteir city with our season passes we got for the price of one day admission (great deal) and now we can add a bit of fair food by going to broomes fried pies lol... but changing back to the news this morning i seen these fried pies and they looked so good, i didnt even know they looked like that, it kinda reminded me of a large fritter, which looks really good..did anyone else see it on the news this morning, i forget which channel.

RealJimbo
09-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Didn't see the news, but I eat at Broome's all the time. Top notch food! And the review is right on the money. Not greasy like some are, the crust is awesome but the whole pie is the experience, so go today!

FriedPies101
09-17-2009, 05:48 AM

Hi Jesseda, we have three tables and several chairs. I am not quite sure what you mean by 'kid friendly,' but it is probably safe to say that we do not have a play area or toys (assuming that is what you meant).

I hope this helps.

Broome

FriedPies101
09-17-2009, 05:52 AM
ohhh okay mouth really atering right now, i live in moore, but will be up that way in two weeks, im not taking my kids to the state fair this year ( to crazy and expensive) so we are doing fronteir city with our season passes we got for the price of one day admission (great deal) and now we can add a bit of fair food by going to broomes fried pies lol... but changing back to the news this morning i seen these fried pies and they looked so good, i didnt even know they looked like that, it kinda reminded me of a large fritter, which looks really good..did anyone else see it on the news this morning, i forget which channel.

Jesseda,

Thank you for checking us out on Fox 25. We attended their annual tailgate parties for both OU & OSU. What you saw on the news that morning was our mini-pie, which will soon be available for purchase by the dozen(s).

Thank you for your interest.

Broome

FriedPies101
09-17-2009, 05:55 AM
:LolLolLol ah yes, nothing like eating some fried pies after going to the doctor.....only in oklahoma.

& in Arkansas (from experience).

Broome

FriedPies101
09-17-2009, 05:56 AM
Best fried pies. I prefer fruit filling but the Coconut Cream and Chocolate pies are delicious.

Thank you for stopping by.

Broome

FriedPies101
09-17-2009, 05:57 AM
Didn't see the news, but I eat at Broome's all the time. Top notch food! And the review is right on the money. Not greasy like some are, the crust is awesome but the whole pie is the experience, so go today!

Thank you, Jim, for all you do for us.

Broome

FriedPies101
09-17-2009, 06:01 AM
i saw broomes on the news this morning, boy does that breakfast pie sound good, i didnt know they did breakfast, plus got to see broome on t.v he seems likea friendly person, mr. broome do you have a chorizo and egg pie lol. I plan on going up there on the 26th after fronteir city treate for the family..

We have egg & cheese with bacon or sausage.

Broome

QueCeraCera
09-17-2009, 10:10 AM
We have egg & cheese with bacon or sausage.

Broome

And they beat the hell out of a bicuit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesseda
09-17-2009, 01:03 PM
thanks broome, what i mean by kid friendly was that people are okay with kids being in thre especially toddlers who get loud sometimes for no reason, we plan on going to broomes fried pies next saturday, i really wan to try the eggs,cheese and sausage one along with others, how much do they range in price for ea fried pie, I know the contents makes the price different, so what is the average price?

FriedPies101
09-18-2009, 05:53 AM
thanks broome, what i mean by kid friendly was that people are okay with kids being in thre especially toddlers who get loud sometimes for no reason, we plan on going to broomes fried pies next saturday, i really wan to try the eggs,cheese and sausage one along with others, how much do they range in price for ea fried pie, I know the contents makes the price different, so what is the average price?

Anytime, Jesseda,

Our prices for a fried pie range from $2.99 (fruit & cream-filled fried pies) to $3.99 (meat-filled fried pies). We also give a discount for the purchase of a dozen of fried pies.

Broome

RealJimbo
09-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Had the chicken pot pie fried pie this week for the first time. AWESOME! I'm really hooked on these pies. My week is never complete without at least one BROOME'S FRIED PIE and some conversation with BROOME. Definitely worth seeking out. My standing guarantee with my friends is that if they buy pies at BROOME'S and don't like them, I'll pay for them.

FriedPies101
09-19-2009, 07:43 AM
Had the chicken pot pie fried pie this week for the first time. AWESOME! I'm really hooked on these pies. My week is never complete without at least one BROOME'S FRIED PIE and some conversation with BROOME. Definitely worth seeking out. My standing guarantee with my friends is that if they buy pies at BROOME'S and don't like them, I'll pay for them.

Now, Jim, that is FANTASTIC news. I also like the guarantee that you proposed to your friends. Please let me know if ever you may have to honor that.

Also, I have decided to reopen on Mondays from 7:00am till 2:00pm. We will still be closed on Tuesdays (I gotta rest sometime).

Thank you ALL for your support.

Broome

donnam
09-19-2009, 09:36 PM
I love these. They are absolutely not greasy. Worth the trip

RealJimbo
09-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Great news! I'll see you later. My friend, Lee, loved her blueberry pie.

FriedPies101
09-22-2009, 10:31 AM
I love these. They are absolutely not greasy. Worth the trip

Thank you very much for checking out our fried pies. Feel free to stop by soon.

FriedPies101
09-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Monday 7:00am - 2:00pm
Tuesday 7:00am - 2:00pm
Wednesday 7:00am - 2:00pm
Thursday 7:00am - 7:00pm
Friday 7:00am - 7:00pm
Saturday 8:00am - 7:00pm
Sunday Closed

This information will also be posted on my Facebook page as well as my website << http:Broome's Fried Pies | Website coming soon! (http://www.broomesfriedpies.com) >> once I release it (within two weeks).

It's cooled down a bit outside. Perfect weather for a fried pie - made HOT & fresh for YOU.

Broome

Martin
09-22-2009, 12:25 PM
a couple posts above, you say you're closed on tuesdays yet the hours in your last post indicate tuesdays from 7am to 2pm. don't want to confuse anybody... which is accurate?

-M

metro
09-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Broome, ever make a frito chili pie?

FriedPies101
09-24-2009, 10:08 AM
a couple posts above, you say you're closed on tuesdays yet the hours in your last post indicate tuesdays from 7am to 2pm. don't want to confuse anybody... which is accurate?

-M

I probably should have added the words "effective immediately." The post labeled "new business hours" states the current hours of operation.

Thanks for seeking clarity.

Broome

FriedPies101
09-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Broome, ever make a frito chili pie?

I have not, yet. We do have the Tex Mex Fried, which includes refried beans, beef, cheese, onions, & jalapenos.

Broome

RealJimbo
09-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Oh golly! That Tex-Mex sounds soooo good!

FriedPies101
10-02-2009, 04:22 PM
If any of you are in downtown Edmond on any Saturday this October, we will be at the Farmers Market on those days - 9:00am till 1:00pm - rain or shine. Feel free to stop by and say Hello, and try some of our fried pies.

Thanks,

Broome

RealJimbo
10-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Tomorrow (closing for today, any time) go get a hot Broome's Fried Pie. I can tell you that you will be happy you did. In fact, I guarantee it.

funky977
10-27-2009, 12:06 PM
I had the Pecan and Pumpkin Pie today. Lets just say, ridiculous. Broome keeps coming up with these fantastic pies, I might bring some for Thanksgiving.

Matt

FriedPies101
10-28-2009, 12:37 PM
I had the Pecan and Pumpkin Pie today. Lets just say, ridiculous. Broome keeps coming up with these fantastic pies, I might bring some for Thanksgiving.

Matt

Matt, glad you enjoyed your fried pies. There are more innovations to come in the future. Thanks for stopping by.

Broome

FriedPies101
10-29-2009, 06:56 AM
Broome's Fried Pies is relocating its store-front to Arcadia. Our last day of operation here at I-35 & Hefner RD will be Tuesday, 03 November. We plan to move on that afternoon and the next day, then resume operations at our new location on Friday

We are moving to 210 West Highway 66 in Arcadia. This location houses Two Brothers Pizza and is one-half mile east of Pop's.

Broome's Fried Pies will open to serve breakfast & lunch (6am - 1pm) Monday through Saturday and Two Brothers Pizza will open to serve dinner around 4pm on its operating days.

We thank those who supported us during our eight months in NE OKC and we will encourage all of them to visit us on Historic Route 66.

We look forward to seeing all of you.

Broome

tburn
10-29-2009, 12:35 PM
I haven't tried you yet -- but I look forward to the savory meat pies!

I hope the new location serves you well -- I think in the spring/summer/fall the roadtrips along route 66 are much more frequent! just gotta get thru winter!

ImTheDude
10-29-2009, 02:26 PM
The Gideo's are neighbors of mine, are they getting rid of the liquor store?

Mballard85
10-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Just stopped by for lunch, what a great pie it was.

I had the tex-mex and my girl friend had the chicken pot pie.
For dessert we had the brownie pie and the chocolate pecan pie and they were just amazing. The crust is so flaky and taste so fresh. Just want to say thanks for the great service.

PS I was the county line bbq guy.

RealJimbo
10-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Oh man! This is going to severely limit my intake of Broome's Fried Pies. But you gotta do what you gotta do. My best wishes for great success in the new location. I will be by before you pull the plug.

kevinpate
10-29-2009, 04:13 PM
best wishes in the new pie safe.

FriedPies101
10-29-2009, 04:48 PM
I haven't tried you yet -- but I look forward to the savory meat pies!

I hope the new location serves you well -- I think in the spring/summer/fall the roadtrips along route 66 are much more frequent! just gotta get thru winter!

Thank you.

I agree, the slow winter season should help us to better prepare ourselves for a busy spring.

Broome