View Full Version : Restaurant happenings

Mydalmationis8
07-17-2009, 09:14 PM
The new Church's is built and almost finished out. Has anyone heard when it will open? Also, in this week's Gazette (week of 7-15-09), the "Jimmy's Egg" ad says, "Coming soon to Guthrie and Norman." Anyone heard where Jimmy's Egg might open shop in Norman this time? On Main Street again?

Mydalmationis8
07-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Also, I've heard that The Turquoise Cafe and Pepe Del Gado's have both been closed by the tax man. Not sure when, or if, they will re-open.

okyeah
07-20-2009, 09:04 PM
yeah I was at Campus Corner on Sunday, and the entire place was pretty empty! I think the sign said it was only "temporarily closed," which in the restaurant business means closed forever...as rocco dispirito would say!

BG918
07-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Also, I've heard that The Turquoise Cafe and Pepe Del Gado's have both been closed by the tax man. Not sure when, or if, they will re-open.

They need to get their taxes in check and then they will reopen. I bet both are open before football season.

Superhyper
07-27-2009, 12:42 PM
They've removed all the furniture and kitchen equipment from Pepe's, an interesting move for a "temporary closing".

ouguy23
07-30-2009, 01:24 PM
OUDaily.com | Pepe Delgado?s finds new home (http://oudaily.com/news/2009/jul/29/pepe-delgados-moves-new-location/)

In the OU Daily, they said Pepe's will open were Turquoise was in mid August. They do not know when or if Turquoise will reopen.

gen70
08-10-2009, 02:44 PM
I haven't been to Norman in years. [Question] Is the Mont still around? If so is it still good?

FritterGirl
08-10-2009, 02:46 PM
I haven't been to Norman in years. [Question] Is the Mont still around? If so is it still good?

The Mont is still around from my Normanite friends in the know. I think they're even on facebook!

I've not been there for years myself, so am not sure if the food's still good. Had the best swirls and queso ever.

dismayed
08-10-2009, 07:32 PM
The food is still the same.

Andrew4OU
08-11-2009, 09:18 PM
The Mont is still around from my Normanite friends in the know. I think they're even on facebook!

I've not been there for years myself, so am not sure if the food's still good. Had the best swirls and queso ever.

I was at the Mont this past weekend. Still the same swirls!

gen70
08-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Thank's for the "Mont" info. I used to live across the street behind the liquour store in the late 70's and used to go there alot.

king183
08-14-2009, 10:50 AM
I was at The Mont on Wednesday night and the place was PACKED. Had a 45 minute wait at 8 pm. They introduced a new menu with no new items over $10, so I guess that's been a big hit.

Mydalmationis8
08-21-2009, 07:15 PM
According to the sign on the front door, the new Church's on Lindsey will open on Monday, August 24th. That's also when The Greek House will re-open. Monday the 24th is also the first day of classes at O.U. What a coincidence!

kevinpate
08-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Did the Greek House find a buyer, or are the long time owners back from holiday again. Not been in a spell so I don't know the status of the place.

Mydalmationis8
08-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Prior to closing, Angelo and Helen Dimas were still manning the helm. I assume they're now back from vacation. If someone new is behind the counter, it will be a big surprise.

RedDirt717
08-22-2009, 07:12 PM

I was there last week. Cheese fries are still the best.

OUman
08-22-2009, 07:39 PM
^So the Greek House is not closing? It would be nice to have it around, it's unique to campus dining, no other place like it there.

kevinpate
08-22-2009, 09:09 PM
GH is mighty tasty indeed. Been too long since I was in there.

blangtang
08-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Mont was busy for lunch today, at least on the patio. the service was slow and gimpy. Food was normal quality.

gen70
08-22-2009, 10:35 PM
I was at The Mont on Wednesday night and the place was PACKED. Had a 45 minute wait at 8 pm. They introduced a new menu with no new items over $10, so I guess that's been a big hit.

I started going to the Mont in the 70's. Glad it's still alive.

kevinpate
08-23-2009, 06:20 AM
Mont was busy for lunch today, at least on the patio. the service was slow and gimpy. Food was normal quality.

That sums up about 98% of my visits. I don't go there often, and when I do, it's due to an invitation by someone whose company I'll enjoy. It's not bad, I don't mean to suggest that. But I've never considered it as a default place to go in Norman. Many others do, so I suppose they see something I do not.

blangtang
08-25-2009, 12:17 AM
this article pretty much covers the subject from what i can tell:

---------------------

A boutique transforms into a barbecue. A sandwich shop becomes a Smoothie King. An Asian restaurant makes a Pizza Hut into a piece of multiculturalism. All around Norman, new businesses are proving that when one door closes, another one opens, literally.

During winter 2008, Harold’s Outlet filed bankruptcy and shut down. However, this gave the owners of Iron Starr Urban BBQ the chance to bring their restaurant to the coveted Campus Corner location.

“It was a really hot spot,” client relations manager Kari Sneider said. “The area has grown, and we thought it would be a fun place. We are big Sooner fans and thought being by the stadium would be a great opportunity.”

Although changing from a clothing store to a barbecue may seem like a difficult task, the company does not plan to make many alterations, Heather Paul, one of the owners, said in an e-mail, “We won’t be changing much of the existing interior. We like to open our restaurants in older buildings [because] they provide a deeper element.”

The owners plan to open the Iron Starr Urban BBQ by the first OU home football game on Sept. 12, Sneider said.

Another eatery taking advantage of open space is a new Smoothie King, located in Stubbeman Village near the residence halls. The smoothie shop fills the former home of Jimmy John’s sandwich shop.

Co-owner John Silman said he had been thinking about opening a Smoothie King for a long time and believed the timing was perfect when the space became available.

“This is just a great spot, a great location,” Silman said. “Space hasn’t opened up [here] for five years, so we had to seize it.”

On the east side of Norman, a renovated Pizza Hut building has become, O Asian Fusion.

“It is a fusion of all different types of Asian foods,” manager Taylor Roberston said. “The cultural influences of the restaurant set it apart. There is a lot of Korean and Thai that make it different than people just trying to do Asian food. We also have a full sushi bar, which a lot of people don’t think can fit in an old Pizza Hut restaurant.”

Robertson also said that the entire culinary team has proper training in preparing all the different types of Asian food, one reason why O Asian Fusion is special compared to competitors.

Iron Starr Urban BBQ, 575 S. University St.

Smoothie King, 1129 Elm Ave.

O Asian Fusion, 105 SE. 12th Ave.

Other new businesses in Norman

Academy Sports and Outdoors, 2010 NW. 24th St.

Although the Academy is currently under construction, workers from tdFarrell Construction Inc. are aiming to complete it by Oct. 15,, project manager Mark Thompson said. Sooner Investments owns the land, as well as the entire University Town Center next to it, which houses Target.

Artisan’s Pride Meat Market, 1965 W. Lindsey St.

Artisan’s Pride is the first meat market in Norman in 11 years, managing member Zane Edwards said. It serves a variety of meat, including beef, pork, lamb, and veal. All meat is injection- and additive-free, and the market holds itself to very high sanitation standards. Orders are can be customized by weight and cut.

Cha Cha’s Grille y Cantina, 3720 W. Robinson St.

SAS Constructors are building this new Mexican restaurant in Brookhaven Village, a shopping center home to many businesses, ranging from Chico’s to OK Runner. Cha Cha’s will be in the suite that Champions Sports Bar & Grill previously occupied. According to SAS Constructors, Cha Cha’s will open in mid-October.

Chipotle Mexican Grill, 765 Asp Ave.

The popular burrito restaurant is scheduled to open in the Boomer Theater building in November, communications director Chris Arnold said. This is the first time the Boomer Theater has been home to a restaurant. Chipotle will be across the street from one of their primary competitors, Freebirds World Burrito.

East Buffet, 700 Ed Noble Parkway

Since opening four weeks ago, East Buffet, a Chinese restaurant, has had a steady flow of customers, cashier Kaien Weng said. Although its main focus is American style Chinese food, it also serves choice Mexican food such as tacos. OU students can receive a 10 percent discount on meals with a student ID.

Imagine Paul Mitchell Partner School, 3030 William Pereira Dr., off of Ed Noble Parkway

Located in what used to be the Just For Feet building, Imagine is a cosmetology school designed to provide the education and tools for students to become certified hairdressers, employee Chrisi Bache said. Many students go on from the training school to become professionals in Paul Mitchell focus salons. The school is under construction but has started enrolling students for the Sept. 22 classes. After that, new sessions will begin every eight weeks.

OUDaily.com | Old spaces, new places arrive in Norman (http://oudaily.com/news/2009/aug/24/old-spaces-new-places-arrive-norman/)

kevinpate
08-25-2009, 05:04 AM
Had missed the install of East Buffet -thanks for the tip!

nguy0231
08-26-2009, 11:29 PM
does anyone know about "CHA TIME: NOODLE STEAKHOUSE"???? i have the new coupons from the campus book stores and its saying free items, but i have no idea wtf this is...

Mydalmationis8
08-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Does anyone know where Jimmy's Egg is going to land in Norman? I see the ads in the Gazette, but they don't say where or when it will open.