View Full Version : Starbucks on 89th and Western to close

narrowexpanded
07-16-2009, 11:23 PM
I have it on good authority that they will be closing on or around Aug 7th. I dont believe this has been public yet. Although they were one of the stores announced for closure last year, they rallied and turned a nice profit for awhile. Not sure of the exact reasons for closure other than the obvious...

okyeah
07-16-2009, 11:34 PM
I thought that once a store was on the :closed: list, it was a definite.

narrowexpanded
07-17-2009, 12:11 AM
I thought that once a store was on the :closed: list, it was a definite.

you could be right, although i had heard it had been saved. at the least, once the closings had been announced the store began to turn a decent and consistent profit and they clearly wouldnt close a store that was profitable if they could help it. however summer months are always the worst for starbucks and this store suffered the same drop off most starbucks go through...and thus, the hammer falls.

MonkeesFan
07-17-2009, 04:41 PM
I live on Western and that is no big loss, I can go to the one on South Penn

SoonerDave
07-28-2009, 08:35 AM
I was thinking that Starbucks would be a lot more convenient than it turned out to be. It really isn't much closer to my "home base" than the one on @ 74th and Penn, which isnt terribly convenient, either :) Oh, well, thought maybe it had been saved...guess not.

metro
07-28-2009, 08:50 AM
I assume you mean SW as I don't know of one on NW 89th and Western.

Platemaker
07-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Death to Starbucks!

Drake
07-28-2009, 10:32 AM
I assume you mean SW as I don't know of one on NW 89th and Western.

I think most on the board can figure out what they meant since 89th is a major street on the southside and 89th on the north is not.

metro
07-28-2009, 10:41 AM
depends on if you're a north or southsider, as you know the majority of the attention the city has received has been north side focused until as of late

SoonerDave
07-29-2009, 08:09 AM
depends on if you're a north or southsider, as you know the majority of the attention the city has received has been north side focused until as of late

Relevant point; it always drives me nuts to hear a news reporter refer generically to "south OKC" or "north OKC" when the city spans so much area. You hear about some crime or something "in SW OKC," then find out it was just a block or two south of Reno....*sigh*

oneforone
07-29-2009, 09:59 AM
I think Starbucks is crashing and burning over the simple fact you can get the same coffee at other places for a third of the price. Even coffee addicts have switched to cheaper places or making it at home where they can drink as many cups as they want.

Starbucks departure makes an excellent oppurtunity for a local company to take over an expand on the service and selection.

SoonerDave
08-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Sign is up on the door at that Starbucks announcing their closure as of Aug 7.

As far as their broad problems go, they were a rather trendy, pseudo upscale offshoot of a more prosperous economy that was almost inevitably destined to contract drastically at some point. Regardless of whether you like them, McDonald's advertising campaign of "coffee without the attitude..." was brutally on-the-spot.

As for me, Starbucks said they didn't want me as a customer when they stopped brewing their "bold" blend after noon some months ago, and replaced it with some generic "Pike's Place" roast. Gaagggh. As a result, I won't miss Starbucks as much as I would have......

mugofbeer
08-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Its nice to have a few Starbucks but coffee shops are an establishment that are good for the private mom and pops who want to have their own businesses. Maybe some enrepreneur will come in and buy the building and not be responsible to a corporate culture. Support your local businesses!

SoonerDave
08-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Its nice to have a few Starbucks but coffee shops are an establishment that are good for the private mom and pops who want to have their own businesses. Maybe some enrepreneur will come in and buy the building and not be responsible to a corporate culture. Support your local businesses!

Hey, in the midst of all the Starbucks closures, Wholly Grounds (another coffee shop) just across the street at SW 89th and Western continues (apparently) to do well...and they've been around for years...although I don't think they're locally owned..

bunchakids
08-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Pretty cool looking little coffee shop in Valley Brook right off of 59th called Joes Addiction. Heard they have live bands and a very cozy atmosphere with great coffee....Kind of an odd location though, Right next to Valley of The Dolls...lol.