View Full Version : OKC Public Farmers market to get remodeled?

metro
07-15-2009, 08:20 AM
Has anyone heard about this? Apparently it has been underway since 2002. Now I notice they have made some small improvements the last few years, but nothing major I've noticed. I was there this past weekend watching the Tornado Alley Rollergirls game and saw some renderings on the walls of future renovations, including exterior plazas, basically making it it's own little official district in the City. Nice plans. I found this on their website.

OKC Farmers Public Market Restoration

Restoration began in August of 2002 and will feature a redeveloped ground floor market with numerous specialty vendors, including the market, florist, bakery, and restaurant. The second floor space will be redeveloped into a grand space for special events such as boxing, musical performances, dances, and receptions. The second floor will continue to have the largest hardwood floor in the State, and will have improvements such as elevators, new expanded restrooms, and mechanical and electrical systems. Restoration should be completed within 4 years at an estimated cost of $4 million.

For more information and renderings scroll to the bottom of this page:

OK City Farmers Public Market ... About (http://www.okcfarmersmarket.com/html/about.html)

Platemaker
07-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Thanks for posting this metro!

Farmer's Market (along with Rock Island Rail Road area and Linwood Ave.) is just aching to be really appreciated.

metro
07-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Well I did some investigative research today. I found out this plan is basically "on hold" or fell through for an indefinite period of time. The owners of the Farmer's Market were supposively promised money from the City of OKC by keeping the property up to code. Suppoosively the owners did their part but the City funding never came through. I do know they'd like to do more, but don't really have the means to do so. Too bad considering this area has so much potential and could really be a draw.

proud2Bsooner
07-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Regardless of whether it gets upgraded, the place is one of our favorite Saturday hang-outs. Sure, much of the fruit and veggies are not local. But many are like peaches, blackberries, red potatoes, okra, green beans, tomatoes and watermelon. The place brings back many memories for me and I love to support the locals. The nurseries there are good and the people are great. You can find some good steals in the antique mall too. One last thing...although I should probably keep this a secret...on Saturdays a guy sells tamales. Mexican Coca-Cola and tamales is a great Saturday snack at the farmer's mkt. Mexican Coke is available at the fruit stand on the North end. It is made with sugar instead of corn syrup, in case you didn't know.

I urge my fellow OKC folks to go there and keep this place going strong. It is an old gem.

[end of farmers market ad]

metro
07-16-2009, 07:42 AM
I haven't seen tamales there the last few times I've been. I got the best tamales I've ever had from a lady selling them out of a small tent but haven't seen here in a year or so. Where are you getting them now at the Farmer's Market? Does he have the jalapeno and cheese ones?

CuatrodeMayo
07-16-2009, 08:18 AM
This area has huge potential. Exchange is a great connector between the Stockyards and Downtown. The farmer market serves as a great gateway-type landmark to the more agrarian side of inner-city OKC. Where Exchange terminates near the new boulevard could become an opportunity for a great node connecting downtown, the near northside neighborhoods, and Core-to-Shore.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/CuatrodeMayo/exchangecopy-1-1.jpg

Platemaker
07-16-2009, 08:25 AM
I really like the traffic circle idea Cuatro.

BDP
07-16-2009, 08:52 AM
I agree. Good concept. A nice statue or fountain in the middle could make it a landmark of its own.

Patrick
07-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Well I did some investigative research today. I found out this plan is basically "on hold" or fell through for an indefinite period of time. The owners of the Farmer's Market were supposively promised money from the City of OKC by keeping the property up to code. Suppoosively the owners did their part but the City funding never came through. I do know they'd like to do more, but don't really have the means to do so. Too bad considering this area has so much potential and could really be a draw.

You mean "supposedly"? Well, sad to hear that the city funding never came through. We need a real farmer's market in OKC comparable to other well-known markets across the country.