View Full Version : My dog got spayed, today

PennyQuilts
07-14-2009, 02:13 PM
I have been on pins and needles for several days. My 7 month old was spayed this morning and I hate, hate, hate that she went under anesthesia. I lost my heart dog in November due to an anesthesia problem so this was hard.

We opted for laser surgery because it is supposed to be better for them, less pain, etc. She had the surgery this morning and the surgeon says she did fine but she also said she has been crying in pain so they gave her drugs and she is sleeping with her tongue hanging out. She has been doped up for hours and hours and I am so worried about her. That doesn't sound right. They are talking about keeping her overnight and I want her to come home. Their policy is to keep the dogs overnight and I am afraid they are just doping her up so that they can tell us that she is in no shape to come home. Yeah, trust issues, I know. They insist that she did fine but this doesn't seem right, to me.

Midtowner
07-14-2009, 02:40 PM
They really have no reason to lie. I mean, what are you going to do? Sue for veterinary malpractice?

TOWNHERO
07-14-2009, 02:41 PM
East Coast Okie,
I am sure she will do fine. She's young and healthy. You want her to stay as quiet as possible so she won't pull out the stitches. I have a very close friend that a vet in Seminole and I've helped him do several spays. I even helped him with one of my own girls. We kept her dopped up so she would be quiet. I left her there over night and the next morning she was fine. I feel your pain, I didn't want to leave her either. But it was for the best. My dogs are like my kids and are treated so. Let us know how she did.

DaveSkater
07-14-2009, 02:45 PM
She'll be fine ECO! But we'll keep you wrapped in light, just to be sure :)

PennyQuilts
07-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Thanks, guys. Knowing that keeping them doped up is not out of the norm makes me feel tons better. And I will wallow in the light - 'preciate it.

Thunder
07-14-2009, 03:50 PM
I would rather have my babies be doped up for a day or two to get thru the pain and I would rather have them stay at the vet to prevent them from causing self harm.

westsidesooner
07-14-2009, 05:27 PM
ECO Im sure your pup will be fine, but that doesnt mean I dont expect a full report tomorrow after you pick her up. Best wishes til then........

PennyQuilts
07-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Pearl is home, thirsty, groggy but won't eat so we are scratching our heads on how to get her to take her pain meds because she is supposed to take them with food. Our other dog, Evelyn, is beside herself with joy. She is wagging her tail nonstip, touching her nose every couple of minutes and just looks so relieved. She was pretty agitated this afternoon. Evelyn is a finicky eater but after her baby sister got home she ate her dinner, the breakfast she refused to eat, and Pearl's dinner.

Pearl is snoozing in her crate and with any luck, will have a restful night. She goes back to the vet in the morning and gets her sutures out in two weeks. We'll need to keep her crated and calm for a few days. I arranged my work schedule to be home with her, which is why we chose this week. It just hurts to see her so "not herself." After losing Jezebel, I am so grateful to have her home I want to cry. I am being somewhat pathetic.

Thanks for the support. I've been so worried about her. It is ridiculous.

TOWNHERO
07-15-2009, 07:05 AM
Try cooking some hamburger meat, letting it cool, then make a meat ball and put her pills inside it. You can also make cheese ball with her pills inside it.
I have 4 shelties. I use to show them in conformation and obedience. I use to have 6. I lost my 14 year old boy in January, then in Feb I lost my 17 year old girl. She was my first sheltie. My late wife got the boy for me for my birthday. It was hard losing both of them. Recently, I had to leave over night one of my other boys with my friend the vet to have his teeth clean. That was really hard to do. It's funny how dogs act when one of the pack is not around.

PennyQuilts
07-15-2009, 07:16 AM
Sorry about losing your dogs, especially so close together. That's so hard.

Actually, at about 9:45, Pearl abruptly woke up and wanted to eat the house down, so no trouble taking her medication. She slept pretty well through the night - no accidents - and has been sore but mentally herself, this morning. I take her to the vet in about an hour for them to look her over. She isn't pestering her sutures and is being pretty sedate for a change.

Our four year old has been so sweet, kissing her and doting on her. We lost our old Alpha in December 2007 and the second oldest stepped up to the plate (she'd been waiting for years for the opportunity, the little heathen). Unexpectectly lost her in November 2008 which left our three year old with no Alpha and no inclination to step up. She was very depressed for months but has recently bloomed and is doing a great job. She was quite distressed that Pearl wasn't home but downright giddy when we went and got her. You're right, it really throws off the pack.

westsidesooner
07-15-2009, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the report ECO. Im glad everything is looking good. Give Pearl a little neck rub for me.

I absolutley hate taking our animals to the vet....of course right now we only have two cats. I cant tell you how much fun the older female is to (TRY to)put in the pet carrier......like Ive mentioned before it usually gets bloody. My blood. Funny thing though, before her last visit to the vet the older female (Indy) didnt really care for me much. At least I wasnt her "favorite" human. But after holding her in the exam room and having her try to hide inside my coat from the doctor she seems to understand that Im not all that bad. Ever since that visit we've become better friends....now I cant get her off of me at night. lol

Funny how we get so attached to our animals. Even the grumpy ones like Indy.

TOWNHERO
07-15-2009, 08:39 AM
[QUOTE=East Coast Okie;Actually, at about 9:45, Pearl abruptly woke up and wanted to eat the house down, so no trouble taking her medication. She slept pretty well through the night - no accidents - and has been sore but mentally herself, this morning. I take her to the vet in about an hour for them to look her over. She isn't pestering her sutures and is being pretty sedate for a change. [/QUOTE]

That is great Pearl is fine. In a few days she'll be back to her old self.

PennyQuilts
07-15-2009, 09:18 AM
Back from post op - no temperature, sutures perfect, appetite back, no problems going to the bathroom, she hasn't bothered her sutures and she has even been reasonable about not running around like a mad dog. She should be her old self in no time flat.

MsDarkstar
07-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Yay! Just caught up on this post, so glad to hear that all is well.

PennyQuilts
07-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Thank you. She is pretty low key, today, which is perfect for healing. I'm so happy to see her personality coming back. It is always so weird when they are anesthetized. It is like their personality is gone.

Jesseda
07-15-2009, 01:43 PM
well east coast okie you seem to be lucky, if her personality is coming back, we had our cat neutered, once we did that he hated us for the 14 years, i swear a couple of times i seen him giving me the middle finger. needless to say he never trusted us again

PennyQuilts
07-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Well, I assume Pearl thinks she was abducted by aliens and we saved her. Dogs tend to give you the benefit of the doubt whereas cats know better.

Karried
07-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Glad to hear all is well.. I know how much we love our pets!

PennyQuilts
07-15-2009, 03:34 PM
At 4:15 she brought me a toy and wanted to play. So good to see my baby back. I'll stop being maudlin, now.

PennyQuilts
07-28-2009, 05:37 AM
She got her stitches out, yesterday, and the doctor gave her a clean bill of health. I'm relieved!

DaveSkater
07-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Yay!

MsDarkstar
07-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Yay!!! So glad to hear that!

hagrid
07-29-2009, 04:31 PM
East Coast Okie,
I have a very close friend that a vet in Seminole ....

We take our dogs <excuse me, fur babies> to the vet in Seminole. He is great if it is the same one you are referring to. The best part is, he is very sensitive to owner concerns and he is NOT overly concerned with lining his pockets.

Good vets are a blessing.

PennyQuilts
07-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Good vets are a blessing.

You betcha - I agree.