View Full Version : Texas Creationists Want to Award M.S. in Creationism

Midtowner
07-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Texas Creationists are suing in federal court to force the Texas Department of Higher Education to allow institutions of higher learning to award Masters of Science (M.S.) degrees in Creationism.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/assets_c/2009/04/jesusridesadinosaur-thumb-250x335.jpg

Dallas - Unfair Park - Local Creationists, Texas Higher Ed Board Now Fighting Over Grad Degree in Two Courtrooms (http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2009/07/local_creationists_texas_highe.php)

oneforone
07-12-2009, 03:52 PM
We just need to put all the christians behind bars and this issue will be resolved.

Midtowner
07-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Ah, are the Christians being persecuted then?

Is it wrong to expect that a Masters of Science have something to do with science? Theology =/= science.

onthestrip
07-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Id like to know what kind of texts are used in the creation classes

Midtowner
07-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Refer to the coloring book above.

AFCM
07-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Soon to follow: People will be obtaining Masters of Science in Geocentrism.

Lord Helmet
07-13-2009, 10:01 AM
We just need to put all the christians behind bars and this issue will be resolved.

Wha!?? They may be a little thick, but they shouldn't be incarcerated!!

Vines_&_Cattle
07-13-2009, 03:57 PM
If a university is not taking state funds, I can't see the problem with issuing degrees for whatever asinine degree programs they feel like. Don't like the Texas Dept. of Education, then don't deal with 'em.

What sort of thesis and course work would be required for this degree, cause if it's molding dinosaurs out of clay or somethin', I am so there.

silvergrove
07-13-2009, 04:14 PM
I believe the problem of issuing junk degrees is that it invalidates many degrees from Texas. Employers would be less impressed with the quality of education of Texan graduates.

"I got a PhD in Texas!"

So what?

feconi
07-13-2009, 05:31 PM
I believe the problem of issuing junk degrees is that it invalidates many degrees from Texas. Employers would be less impressed with the quality of education of Texan graduates.

"I got a PhD in Texas!"

So what?

Guess my work towards a PhD at UT-Austin is in vain, then. :wink:

Realistically, this will have absolutely zero effect on the perception of graduates from any respectable Texas university. Moreover, I'm not sure what degrees this will "invalidate" except for those which were already questionable to begin with (e.g., a degree in Biology from East Texas Baptist University). For the sake of Texas's image I'd much prefer these programs never come to fruition--not to mention, as a scientist, I cringe at the thought of an M.S. in Creationism. However, I won't lose any sleep if some backwoods, no-name Christian college is offering these "degrees."

AFCM
07-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Rest assured, the author of these amazing videos will be quick to reestablish credibility in UT science.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=126AFB53A6F002CC)

This is a play list of 17 videos, created by a Geoscience major at UT. If you have the time to watch, I highly recommend his work. This series dismantles Creationism from the ground up. Start at one and work your way through to 17. He even offers a script for the hearing-impaired.

feconi
07-13-2009, 06:18 PM
Thanks for sharing, AFCM. Though I must say, I'm not sure the likes of UT-Austin, Rice, and A&M need to (or will ever need to) reestablish their scientific pedigrees. :wink:

On that note, you should check out physicist and Nobel laureate Steven Weinberg. He's a professor here at UT-Austin and one of the preeminent anti-religion, pro-science voices out there. There's too much good stuff out there by him to even link to just one thing--I recommend searching YouTube and google if you get the time.

Midtowner
07-13-2009, 06:41 PM
The objection here isn't that someone is offering a degree in Creationism. It's that they're calling it a Masters of Science. A Master's in Theology or something along those lines would be appropriate and I'd support the issuance of degrees like that.

gmwise
07-13-2009, 09:58 PM
You're wondering who we are; why we have done this; how it has come that I stand before you - the image of a being from so long ago. Life evolved on my planet before all others in this part of the galaxy. We left our world, explored the stars and found none like ourselves. Our civilization thrived for ages, but what is the life of one race, compared to the vast stretches of cosmic time?

We knew that one day we would be gone, and nothing of us would survive - so we left you. Our scientists seeded the primordial oceans of many worlds, where life was in its infancy. This body you see before you, which is of course shaped as yours is shaped, for you are the end result. The seed code also contains this message, which was scattered in fragments on many different worlds.

It was our hope that you would have to come together in fellowship and companionship to hear this message, and if you can see and hear me, our hope has been fulfilled. You are a monument, not to our greatness, but to our existence. That was our wish - that you too would know life and would keep alive our memory. There is something of us in each of you, and so, something of you in each other. Remember us."

MadMonk
07-14-2009, 12:51 PM
A depiction of the mammalian's final victory over the reptilian overlords.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Mad_Monk/Monk/DinoArk.jpg

gmwise
07-14-2009, 04:26 PM

OK you did it....that was funny I guess you're not a moron after all. lol

Jesus Lied For You
07-14-2009, 06:32 PM
It is easier to go through the courts than through peer review, I guess.

gmwise
07-15-2009, 01:13 AM
I think it was the peer review ie the Council of Pharisees??
Pilate was the Civil Authority I think...any thoughts?

kevinpate
07-15-2009, 05:21 AM

:bright_id
LOVE IT. has a real Clarissa explains it all sort of ring to it.

Shake2005
07-15-2009, 07:34 AM
The cartoonist is Dan Piraro from Tulsa

Platemaker
07-23-2009, 07:29 AM
You're wondering who we are; why we have done this; how it has come that I stand before you - the image of a being from so long ago. Life evolved on my planet before all others in this part of the galaxy. We left our world, explored the stars and found none like ourselves. Our civilization thrived for ages, but what is the life of one race, compared to the vast stretches of cosmic time?

We knew that one day we would be gone, and nothing of us would survive - so we left you. Our scientists seeded the primordial oceans of many worlds, where life was in its infancy. This body you see before you, which is of course shaped as yours is shaped, for you are the end result. The seed code also contains this message, which was scattered in fragments on many different worlds.

It was our hope that you would have to come together in fellowship and companionship to hear this message, and if you can see and hear me, our hope has been fulfilled. You are a monument, not to our greatness, but to our existence. That was our wish - that you too would know life and would keep alive our memory. There is something of us in each of you, and so, something of you in each other. Remember us."

Ohhh.... that's one of my FAVORITE episodes!

gmwise
07-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Ohhh.... that's one of my FAVORITE episodes!

lol
yea we all should be mindful we're all here now.