View Full Version : Randy's M&M's closing

scootinger
07-11-2009, 12:19 PM
I went by the Randy's M&M's store over at 33rd and Boulevard today (the only one left) and apparently they're having a storewide "Liquidation Sale". I figure this means that they're going out of business...sad to see them go, but not surprising with competition like Netflix and Redbox.

Midtowner
07-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Bummer. They used to be the only place to get laser discs.

SoonerDave
07-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Midtowner, you need some laserdiscs?

Midtowner
07-11-2009, 02:57 PM
No, I'm good.

Hollywood
07-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Just heard this the other day. Quite sad, growing up Randy's was a staple of the community. Not to mention it was the best job I had in high school and immediately after. On the other hand... all good things must come to an end.

OKCitizen
07-13-2009, 08:34 AM
Isn't there one on Dansforth by Ted's Mexican?

Centerback
07-13-2009, 09:10 AM
Not for quite a while now, it is Serendipity (a craft mall type place). I'm sure Redbox drove the final nail in Randy's coffin. We were regular users of their 2 for 1 rentals for many years. It's unfortunate, but a sign of the times. Get competitive or get out.

Broncho150
07-13-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm sad to see the last Randy's closing as well. My first job was at the store on 33rd. Helped open the store on Santa Fe. Worked for Randy through most of college years. A few years ago, Randy told me that most of his business had moved to the music rather than movie side. I think it is really the electronic distribution of music that hurt his business the most. I recently heard him quoted as saying that he had been on a five year plan for most of his time in business. Randy is a fine man and a great infuence on a lot of young people.

bluedogok
07-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Isn't there one on Dansforth by Ted's Mexican?
I think that one closed sometime last year.

scootinger
07-14-2009, 12:06 AM
I think that one closed sometime last year.

The one at 2nd and Santa Fe closed a few months ago too. I actually saw them taking the sign down at that location earlier today...

Thunder
07-14-2009, 12:50 AM
Get competitive or get out.

:LolLolLol Cox should get out!

They raised the prices of movies viewable OnDemand now 4 and 5 bux each for 24 hours! :omg:

kevinpate
07-14-2009, 04:33 AM
I almost never get to Edmond. Anyone know what level of selection is left?

TOWNHERO
07-14-2009, 06:34 AM
Has anyone been to that new video rental store on the corner of 2nd and Western? I can't remember it's name.

Lord Helmet
07-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Sucks. I remember renting VHS from them back in the 80's before Blockbuster. Still, with DL music an movies becoming standard, and Netflix and RedBox handling the physical rental side admirably...the writing has been on the wall for a while.

oneforone
07-14-2009, 10:02 AM
I just wonder how long it will be before CD's and DVD's are gone. I predict in the near future music and movies will go entirely online. You will be able to purchase all forms of media from your cell phone, your pc, cable box and vending machines like RedBox.

BailJumper
07-14-2009, 10:18 AM
I just wonder how long it will be before CD's and DVD's are gone. I predict in the near future music and movies will go entirely online. You will be able to purchase all forms of media from your cell phone, your pc, cable box and vending machines like RedBox.

I hope not for a long time. Otherwise you and I will have to pay some sort of subsidy to the 'have nots' so that they can get movies too. Lord knows it wouldn't be fair for those on welfare to not have an Internet connection, computer, credit card, etc. so they can watch Meet the Falkers!

kmf563
07-14-2009, 01:40 PM
This makes me sad. I will go by there sometime this week and see what kind of product is left and how the prices are.

bluedogok
07-14-2009, 07:55 PM
The US is behind other countries in upgrades to the broadband infrastructure, it will be awhile before the infrastructure is able to support a whole neighborhoods of streaming HD movie/shows. Physical media will be around at least 5 more years and maybe 10 years. The AT&T and Verizons don't move as fast as the rest of the tech world around them and they are the ones building it out. Some people 5 years ago were predicting it would have happened by now.