View Full Version : Best Big Cities for Jobs

HOT ROD
07-10-2009, 09:43 PM
In Depth: Best Big Cities For Jobs - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/13/best-big-cities-jobs-opinions-columnists-employment_slide_3.html?thisSpeed=30000)

:yourock:

HOT ROD
07-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Now, checkout Mid-Sized Cities:

In Depth: Best Mid-Sized Cities For Jobs - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/14/best-medium-cities-jobs-opinions-columnists-employment_slide_10.html?thisSpeed=15000)

Tex
07-10-2009, 10:28 PM
TEXAS FTW!!! *sigh* How I miss the Lone Star State.

venture
07-11-2009, 12:35 AM
And people think I'm crazy for wanting to make the drive down I-35 with a moving truck.

okcpulse
07-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Well, shoot. Nevermind Oklahoma City made the top ten. I personally can't wait to get back to OKC. The rest of you can have Texas. It's all yours.

bbhill
07-11-2009, 10:17 AM
I've always hated Forbes and their ad inducing slideshows. This abundance of Texas makes me hate them even more. :ou

feconi
07-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Well, shoot. Nevermind Oklahoma City made the top ten. I personally can't wait to get back to OKC. The rest of you can have Texas. It's all yours.

I'm one of the biggest OKC fans in Texas, but I have to admit: I like living in Austin better. Regardless, I like to see OKC and Austin both getting recognition like this.

MikeOKC
07-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Being a half-time resident of Oklahoma City and Plano, I am excited at this list. Tulsa was right there on the Mid-Sized Cities list as well. Oklahoma is definitely more than "OK". But I like Texas too. Some parts better than others, of course, but that list reflects a lot of what's great about Texas as the vitality and sense of optimism is great in so many places.

I love Oklahoma City!
But yes, I love Collin County too.

venture
07-11-2009, 08:53 PM
You folks in Austin, could you guys shoot me some ideas on where to live. I like a quiet area...similar to Norman (away from campus). Was looking at the northern suburbs.

scootinger
07-11-2009, 09:10 PM
What exactly makes OKC a "big" city and Tulsa a "mid-sized" city? Tulsa seems bigger than a lot of the other cities on that list.

venture
07-11-2009, 09:49 PM
What exactly makes OKC a "big" city and Tulsa a "mid-sized" city? Tulsa seems bigger than a lot of the other cities on that list.

That part confused me as well.

okcpulse
07-11-2009, 09:58 PM

Any city with a population over 500,000 is classified as a big city. 250,000 to 499,999 are medium-sized cities.

Since Tulsa can't seem to make it out of the 300,000 range, it will be a while.

okcpulse
07-11-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm one of the biggest OKC fans in Texas, but I have to admit: I like living in Austin better. Regardless, I like to see OKC and Austin both getting recognition like this.

Understand, I have no hate for Texas. I just prefer OKC as a place where I want to make a difference and leave a legacy behind.

I just get angry because OKC is moving up in the rankings and just because a few cities in Texas are only a few spots ahead, people want to pack their bags as if Oklahoma is a failure.

venture
07-11-2009, 10:25 PM
I don't think everyone is saying Oklahoma is a failure, at least I'm not. In the industry I have experience in, OKC is not the place to be. Whereas Austin, it is exploding. Nothing wrong with that, you just have to go where the jobs are - and where the better pay is. Austin's cost of living also isn't that far off from OKC, so its a win-win with a higher pay available there (for the same job) and similar living costs...it is just smart.

soonerguru
07-11-2009, 11:32 PM
Austin's cost of living also isn't that far off from OKC

You have to be kidding me.

progressiveboy
07-11-2009, 11:32 PM
I don't think everyone is saying Oklahoma is a failure, at least I'm not. In the industry I have experience in, OKC is not the place to be. Whereas Austin, it is exploding. Nothing wrong with that, you just have to go where the jobs are - and where the better pay is. Austin's cost of living also isn't that far off from OKC, so its a win-win with a higher pay available there (for the same job) and similar living costs...it is just smart. I always struggled when I lived in OKC working 2 jobs and having a college degree. There are so many companies based in Texas especially Fortune 500 companies in Dallas, Austin, Houston. Plus their business mentality in Texas is for more advanced than Oklahoma. Texas has that go get em mentality and "whatever it takes" whereas Oklahoma does not have as much of that drive due to inempt state leaders.

venture
07-11-2009, 11:50 PM
You have to be kidding me.

I didn't say it was cheaper, just that isn't wasn't that far off. Looking at a house equal to what I have now, property tax is almost exactly the same. When I was in Austin for a few weeks, food prices and such weren't that much more than up here. Utility rates I understand a bit higher, but that is about it. So I'm not really sure where the "You have to be kidding me" part comes in, unless this was based off of 2nd hand info versus actually looking at hard numbers.

venture
07-11-2009, 11:54 PM
I always struggled when I lived in OKC working 2 jobs and having a college degree. There are so many companies based in Texas especially Fortune 500 companies in Dallas, Austin, Houston. Plus their business mentality in Texas is for more advanced than Oklahoma. Texas has that go get em mentality and "whatever it takes" whereas Oklahoma does not have as much of that drive due to inempt state leaders.

My line of work it seems experience trumps the $40K piece of paper from the university. Co-worker I use to have at an old company, no degree just HS diploma but had been with the company for about 5 or 6 years at that point. He was bringing in roughly $125K a year plus bonuses. Maybe it is just the abundance of jobs available or like you pointed out, a different mentality of work your butt off and you'll get rewarded.

Thunder
07-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Venture, I think it is best for you to stay here, and be our own meteorologist.

okcpulse
07-12-2009, 10:20 AM
I don't think everyone is saying Oklahoma is a failure, at least I'm not. In the industry I have experience in, OKC is not the place to be. Whereas Austin, it is exploding. Nothing wrong with that, you just have to go where the jobs are - and where the better pay is. Austin's cost of living also isn't that far off from OKC, so its a win-win with a higher pay available there (for the same job) and similar living costs...it is just smart.

In what industry do you have experience?

okcpulse
07-12-2009, 10:25 AM
I always struggled when I lived in OKC working 2 jobs and having a college degree. There are so many companies based in Texas especially Fortune 500 companies in Dallas, Austin, Houston. Plus their business mentality in Texas is for more advanced than Oklahoma. Texas has that go get em mentality and "whatever it takes" whereas Oklahoma does not have as much of that drive due to inempt state leaders.

The business mentality in OKC has gotten alot better over the years. Is it me or did you people just miss the ton of accolades we've gotten over the past three years?

venture
07-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Venture, I think it is best for you to stay here, and be our own meteorologist.

LOL. We'll see. It is one of those "dream job" cases...so if the offer is right, I can't really say no. : )

adaniel
07-12-2009, 02:36 PM

Interesting you say that. When I was looking at jobs last year (my final year in college), I wanted to go back to the DFW area since I'm originally from there and to be close to my parents. I went to OU career services and put in close to 20 applications with companies in that area, and I'm dead serious when I say I didn't get one interview from any of them. True, this was September of last year and the economy was melting down before our very eyes, so how can you explain the multitude of interviews I recieved from companies in OKC and Tulsa (and Houston, for some strange reason)? I eventually got a job here that pays well and gives me decent benefits, which are few and far between in this economy.

I think I would want to move back eventually just for family reasons, but right now I can really say as a college grad you can't beat OKC, economy-wise. I'm not going anywhere soon. And in texas, where the business leaders have such a better mentality, I know of several friends both from high school and college who have gotten laid off and can't even get jobs at Wal Mart.

BDP
07-12-2009, 07:18 PM
What exactly makes OKC a "big" city and Tulsa a "mid-sized" city?

Population.

progressiveboy
07-13-2009, 07:31 AM
Interesting you say that. When I was looking at jobs last year (my final year in college), I wanted to go back to the DFW area since I'm originally from there and to be close to my parents. I went to OU career services and put in close to 20 applications with companies in that area, and I'm dead serious when I say I didn't get one interview from any of them. True, this was September of last year and the economy was melting down before our very eyes, so how can you explain the multitude of interviews I recieved from companies in OKC and Tulsa (and Houston, for some strange reason)? I eventually got a job here that pays well and gives me decent benefits, which are few and far between in this economy.

I think I would want to move back eventually just for family reasons, but right now I can really say as a college grad you can't beat OKC, economy-wise. I'm not going anywhere soon. And in texas, where the business leaders have such a better mentality, I know of several friends both from high school and college who have gotten laid off and can't even get jobs at Wal Mart. First, "congratulations" in order for your successful job search best of luck to you! To answer your statement about getting multitude of interviews/offers in OKC and Tulsa perhaps it was luck, timing or other numerous factors? I personally believe in the DFW area you have a multitude of highly qualified job candidates that have at least a bachelors degree or higher so employers here can afford to be more selective and recruiting the most qualified candidates so it could be they take their time in responding because it is an employers market and they know they can be highly selective and take their time in answering inquiries.