View Full Version : Shepherd Mall

OKCnBA
07-10-2009, 07:42 AM
Farmers Insurance has announced plans to build their own building, near Memorial and Rockwell. They will be relocating ther HelpPoint and data center to the new building. Opening second half of 2010. Wonder what this means for Shepherd Mall?

metro
07-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Wow, but not surprised. Seems like west nw expressway and memorial rd. are becoming call center meccas.

Chicken In The Rough
07-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Is 23rd part of a proposed Streetcar system? This may be a good time to start dreaming about a T.O.D. redevelopment of the Shepherd Mall site. I've always thought this area is on the tipping point. With a little help, infill and higher density development could take off.

Platemaker
07-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Wow, but not surprised. Seems like west nw expressway and memorial rd. are becoming call center meccas.

I say go for it I don't want gross call center in my 'box.' (SW 29/NW 63/Meridian/Lottie)

Caboose
07-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Is 23rd part of a proposed Streetcar system? This may be a good time to start dreaming about a T.O.D. redevelopment of the Shepherd Mall site. I've always thought this area is on the tipping point. With a little help, infill and higher density development could take off.

Put townhouses on the north end of the shepherd mall parking lot, more on the SE side parking, build a 5 or 6 floor government building to house the offices that are currently in the mall adjacent to the SE townhouses... then bulldoze the mall and turn the rest of the propety into a nice medium park with a water feature (just like the old days before the mall.)

metro
07-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Excellent idea. I never thought of Sheperd Mall as a TOD but it totally makes sense and that area is just on the verge of explosion and really needs something like that.

BB37
07-11-2009, 02:11 PM
... then bulldoze the mall and turn the rest of the propety into a nice medium park with a water feature (just like the old days before the mall.)

Before the mall it was simply an empty field, the last remaining undeveloped portion of the G.T. Shepherd homestead. The farmhouse was still standing on the east leg, where the two elderly Shepherd sisters lived. There was a small pond on the north end, right about where the apartment complex is now. The only "park" in the vacinity was/is Swatek park on NW 30th, just NE of the mall, which used to have a wading pool many years ago.

Patrick
07-13-2009, 12:40 AM
I'm sure Shepherd Mall will be able to lease the space out as office space, just as any office tower would if it lost a tenant.

MadMonk
07-13-2009, 08:00 AM
Good for them. Shepherd Mall is a dump and I'm sure the employees will appreciate a nicer office and neighborhood to work in.