View Full Version : Looking for photos, stories about Jacques Orenstein

Steve
07-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Doug, let me have my fun here - I'm doing this for okchistory.com!

gen70
07-09-2009, 09:08 AM
I may live under a rock but, who is he?

Steve
07-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Sorry. Jacques Orenstein was, according to many, the first gourmet chef and restaurant operator in Oklahoma City (although I'm sure there were others in earlier years). He had a cooking show on WKY TV throughout the 70s, operated several restaurants in the 60s, 70s and 80s, and owned Creative Cookery.

TOWNHERO
07-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Sorry. Jacques Orenstein was, according to many, the first gourmet chef and restaurant operator in Oklahoma City (although I'm sure there were others in earlier years). He had a cooking show on WKY TV throughout the 70s, operated several restaurants in the 60s, 70s and 80s, and owned Creative Cookery.

I had forgot about him and when you explained who he was, I remembered. I believe the first restaurant he opened was on N Western. Just north of NW 60th. Around 1965-1966, he opened a restaurant by the airport. I believe the building is still three. It was called, and my memory is not as good as it use to be, "Sign of the Ram" or "Rams Head". I actually worked there for about a year. I lived on the southside off of 37th and May. I worked there for about nine months or so as a buseboy. I wasn't old enough to drive but had to ride my motorcycle to work. The restaurant was also part of a motel/hotel. I did the room service also. One time I remember a popular rock band was in town for a concert and they were staying at the motel. I think it was the Grass Root? Anyway, I got their room service a couple of time and they gave me a BIG tip and I got to meet them.

Steve
07-09-2009, 09:38 AM
TOWNHERO, do you have any memories of Orenstein? What was he like?

gen70
07-09-2009, 09:48 AM

I still don't remember him but do you know the address of Creative Cookery?

TOWNHERO
07-09-2009, 09:50 AM
TOWNHERO, do you have any memories of Orenstein? What was he like?

I think I was 15 So any memories are probably tainted. I would work from 4:00pm to 11:00/12:00pm. I don't think he was around very much. I vaguely remember another chef that was a big man. I do remember, she was either his admin assitant or something like, the lady turned out to be the mother of a girl that was the best friend of my future girlfriend and later wife. I met them again in 1969 when I was working for a Humpty's on NW 23rd and Portland.