View Full Version : Farmer's Market

kay
07-07-2009, 10:35 PM
The first night of the farmer's market went well. Every Tuesday this summer from 4:30 to 8:30 local farmers are setting up stands in the Midwest City Community Center parking lot. I'm very glad to not have to travel to OSU/OKC Campus every week. I went at 5:30 after the intial rush and got some great veggies. Their official grand opening will be in two weeks, but they wanted to go ahead and start it up. Many people don't realize the stands like the one on Douglas truck in produce from huge farms in Texas, might as well buy from the supermarket. The whole idea behind sustainable farms is buying from smaller, local producers, therefore eliminating transportation costs. These farmers are commited to minimizing their impact on the land and farming in a very responsible way. So support our local farmer's market!

possumfritter
07-08-2009, 07:10 AM
Kay,

How are the prices compared to the supermarkets? Can you give us some examples?

Thanks

kay
07-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Of course, compared to supermarkets, they are a bit higher. But I feel the quality is better, much better in fact. I'm willing to pay whatever I need to in order to support local farmers. That being said I feel the prices were quite good. I paid $8 altogether and I got about 2lbs each of yellow and zuccini squash, 2 lbs of cucumbers, some fresh basil and 1 lb of tomatoes that had the best flavor ever! Some of it was weighed and some wasn't so who knows how much I got exactly. Most stands sell by the tray. I'll take a fresh cucumber that I don't have to peel over a dyed, waxed excuse for a cucumber anyday.

bombermwc
07-13-2009, 06:59 AM
Price isn't the determining factor in whether or not you go to a Farmer's Market. But I've found that I generally get a better price at the Farmer's Market anyway. Not to mentino the fact I know it's fresh and hasn't spent a week traveling the country after it was picked prematurely and has started on it's way out already.

How many stores to you know you can get fresh picked lettuce or greens for $1 a bunch?

possumfritter
07-14-2009, 11:56 AM
I was just curious about the prices this year. I haven't been to the Farmers Market at the Children's Center or OSU yet.

Like you, I prefer "really" fresh and locally grown veggies when I can get them.

Zucchini bread sure would be good with lunch today.

Jesseda
07-14-2009, 12:02 PM
zucchini bread does sound good, my co-workers sometimes makes a killer zucchini cake. the farmers market in moore is kinda of ex*****ive its small so less competition so prices are higher, normans farmers market is pretty good and big

kay
07-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Of course the variety of products they have at the OSU market would be nice. They have meats, cheeses, soaps, flowers, eggs, etc in addition to all the fruits and veggies. That would be nice to have at our local farmer's market but I guess the numbers just aren't there to justify it. FYI The watermelon vendors told me they would be ready in about 4 weeks. Can't wait. Off to get my weekly veggies now! They are open until 8 tonight.

bombermwc
07-15-2009, 08:09 AM
Norman is the only one we go to. The OSU one just doesnt have enough veggies for us.

Jesseda
07-15-2009, 09:40 AM
hey bombermwc in the norman one have you tried the honey booth, located inside the building, its really really good, our pepper plants we bought at the norman market this spring died, but hey i can kills silk plants, so no surprise that they died. I love it in norman market in august to september, they always have huge watermelons and gords

bombermwc
07-16-2009, 08:59 AM
I think we have gotten honey there before, but it's been a while. The spices guy has some amazing yummy stuff though.