View Full Version : Bulk VHS to digital transfer

Tom-S
07-07-2009, 03:25 PM
I have 17 VHS tapes to convert to digital. Does anyone have advice or recommendations for a good local option.

BBatesokc
07-09-2009, 01:42 PM
If you mean you want to convert your VHS tapes to DVD then I'd just go to Sam's and buy a VHS DVD/R combo and make the copies yourself. I think they run about $200. Then you can always sell the unit on CraigsList or someone without a conscious might just return it when done making the copies.

Another option is a cheap analog to digital converter you can get at most any computer or office supply store from $79-$200 and stream them to your computer.

Or, I'm sure there are a dozen retail places in town that will gladly take your money and do one of the two options above for more money.

SoonerDave
07-09-2009, 01:52 PM
I think Panasonic makes an excellent line of VHS-DVD transfer units. The one I have is about a year-and-a-half old, and has worked extremely well with both marginal quality VHS tapes and line-level input sources, such as a DVR.

For the number of tapes you have to convert, I would agree that you might be just as well served to buy one of those units rather than just spend the money with a conversion service.

nighttrain12
07-09-2009, 07:32 PM
I have 17 VHS tapes to convert to digital. Does anyone have advice or recommendations for a good local option.

I still see new (though cheap) VHS players/recorders for sale at Wal Mart and a few other places. If you are only concerned with being able to view them, that could be another option.

Steve
07-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Be aware that even commercial VHS tapes created in the mid-1990s can't be recorded on one of these DVD-R machines. There's some coding that won't permit it.

Martin
07-10-2009, 04:39 AM
^
i believe that was called macrovision. you have your useless nerd trivia for the day! -M

OKCisOK4me
07-10-2009, 12:54 PM
I believe Epperson Photo & Video does this. Although, I do not know what their prices are.

SoonerDave
07-10-2009, 03:00 PM
^
i believe that was called macrovision. you have your useless nerd trivia for the day! -M

DING DING DING!!!

And its still around, by the way :)

mark
07-14-2009, 04:18 PM
buy a digital camcorder with an analog pass through. it will allow you to hook up your vcr to your camcorder and camcorder to computer via firewire.