View Full Version : Moving to OKC in July, apartment suggestions?

Fanusen
07-05-2009, 02:00 AM
Hello, I'm moving from Michigan to OKC sometime this month, and have been trying to do some research on various apartment complexes in the area. While I have no trouble finding concrete info like price, amenities etc, I am more interested in finding a decent, well maintained apartment in a decent area. My budget is between 400 and 600/mo for a two bedroom, cat friendly apartment (preferably all utilities included too! hah) and while I understand that I cannot expect the world for those prices, I would nonetheless like to find a livable non drug/crime infested place to live.

Also, please be aware that I know very, very little about okc at the moment, have no clue as to which parts of the city are good, bad or otherwise (assuming that certain parts of the city qualify as any of them)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

evh5150
07-05-2009, 06:19 AM
where will you be working?, do you yet know? or if you just plan to move here then seek work, i will tell you that our highway system will be of great concern to you.

compared to most other metropolitan areas, we commute farther distances to where we need to go, but normally deal with less traffic during most times of the day, save for rush hour traffic (which brings me back to the question of where you plan to work at, if you have a job lined up)

cities alone, I give high props to Norman. Its a charming, hospitable place that is steadily on the rise. The major drawback to living in either Norman or Moore (its neighboring city to the immediate north) is that there is just one solitary stretch of highway that extends into OKC that links these two large cities, and its called I-35, and boy is it ever becoming more and moore (no pun intended, honest) of a nightmare to deal with.

There is another route that is supposed to alleviate traffic called Hwy 77 (sooner road), but hardly anyone takes it compared to the more popular I-35 cause folks here hate stop signs and stoplights..we rather just roll down the highway if we can.

The next recommendation would be either Yukon and Mustang area. Very laidback, and the latter is somewhat affluent in some parts. Its tucked away on the western side of our airport. Yukon is an easy stretch along I-40 to OKC. Sometimes I-40 to Yukon can get congested, but not as bad as the aforementioned I-35.

There are some areas in OKC proper that are nice, some not so nice. Our city is quite expansive geographically and also diversified as well.

Edmond can be a nice area, and some parts of it still are, and some parts have seen better days. The city has some affluent areas that are becoming the underbelly of the city, prone to rampant auto break-ins in which theives loot laptops, cell phones, luggage, car stereos and whatever other goodies they can get their hands on.

Youll see the name Glenda Chu pop up a lot in the news from time to time, she is the spokesperson for the Edmond PD. Just to give you an idea of how frequent crimes can happen there. Crooks go where the money is at.

Going east along I-40 will take you into cities such Del City and Midwest City. These two sister communities do have nice housing additions, but some are greater than others. The area has been on the decline in recent years as it lost one of its major employers recently: General Motors. Signs of delapitation are prevalent in some areas, such as defunct shopping centers and the like.

On the whole, the majority of the apartments and houses in the greater OKC area were built around 1940s to 1980s. most apartments were built between the 1960 and 1980s. If youre looking for newer developments to reside in, your best bet would be to check into either Norman or Edmond as these two communities tend to be of our more economically prosperous suburbs.

Most of our suburbs here are chiefly residential hosting mainly retail, shopping and dining employment. Whereas OKC proper is our financial core, with epicenters in downtown and along the NW Expressway corridor.

Hope this info helps

LakeEffect
07-05-2009, 07:29 AM
I think the biggest question is - where will you work and do you mind driving often? Then it's easier to make suggestions.

Just b/c I'm originally from Michigan, I'm curious, where in Michigan are you moving from?

rondvu
07-05-2009, 08:25 AM
EVH5150 did such a wonderful job stating the facts. I wonder if she is on the OKC Chamber of Commerce? There are some older, but well maintained apartments near me. They are Pheasant Run and the Villas at Pheasant Run.(405) 947-6661 6100 N Meridian Ave. Warwick West is nearby and are also older and seem like nice apartments. (405) 605-0851
3100 Northwest Expy. Good luck in your move and in your search. Keep us posted.

Fanusen
07-05-2009, 12:01 PM
I think the biggest question is - where will you work and do you mind driving often? Then it's easier to make suggestions.

Just b/c I'm originally from Michigan, I'm curious, where in Michigan are you moving from?

Well, to answer the first part part of the question, I am moving to okc as a displaced worker (auto industry), and I have no job lined up as of yet. I am going to be on the TAA program through the feds, and will be attending school once I get all of the paperwork etc. I don't know about Oklahoma, but Michigan has had some tough times lately and has had for around the last 15 years or so at least (mainly due to Michigans reliance on the auto industry.. Flint, Michigan was once one of our largest cities and since the auto industry moved out about 10 years ago, it is still a fairly large city but it is more or less one large slum).

I am moving to Oklahoma city from a small town in the northern part of the lower peninsula near West Branch. I recently lost my house in Mount Pleasant, MI. so I moved into one of my Mothers houses until i was ready to move to OK. I am bringing very few possessions with me (3 smallish boxes, and a cat) as I only have a mid sized car in which to haul things.

Thank you for the input so far, I appreciate it.

Fanusen
07-06-2009, 11:33 AM
I had replied to this once already, but I'm assuming that because my posts need to be approved (being a new member), and around the same time the thread was moved, maybe my post got lost somewhere heh.

Anyhow, I was laid off here in michigan (automotive industry), and since I lost my job to someone overseas, I've been certified for the TAA program through the feds, so I won't be interested in finding a job right away once I get there, I'll be more interested in finding a decent school to attend.

I'm not sure how oklahoma is doing, but I am here to tell you that michigan is having some pretty tough times... in fact michigan has been in a downward spiral for the last 10-15 years because of our reliance on the automotive industry.

Until recently, I lived in Mount Pleasant Mi, until I lost my job, and everything that that entails (lost my house, filed bankruptcy and all of that fun stuff...)

So, I'm hoping for a fresh start, and I'm looking forward to the opportunity to finish school... hmm.. I've forgotten what the question was that I was trying to answer, so I'll end now heh.

Thank you for your assistance.

metro
07-07-2009, 07:51 AM
Welcome to OKC, glad to have you here. As for finding a 2 bed for $400-$600 a month that is pet friendly and a good part of town, good luck. You'd be lucky to find a one bed for that much in a good part of town that is pet friendly and utilities paid.

westsidesooner
07-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Depending on where you'll be working I'd second EVH's recomendation of Mustang. Its all fairly new construction, great community feel to it and easy access to downtown....at least quicker than Edmond or Norman. We looked at houses out there a few years back then made an exploratory drive out there last wekend and its really grown quickly. Most everything you'd need as far as shopping, and retail. The schools are mostly new buildings and its a good district. Good luck.

bbhill
07-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Finding a two bedroom apartment in a "good" area for under $600 will be a little tough. My one bedroom runs about $470 (Quail Ridge, over by Quail Springs). It was built in the 80's so its not exactly new. However, there are noticeable drug transactions in the neighborhood. I have heard gunshots on several evenings. There was one incident (last year I think?) where an apartment was broken into and a woman was stabbed repeatedly and was screaming for hours, but no one did anything. Things like that are so common that people don't even pay attention. :o Not to rain on your search for finding a safe apartment, but two bedrooms in a safe environment is gonna be a challenge.

you can forget about getting all bills paid. :) sorry lol