View Full Version : What's the best shade grass of OKC's clay soil?

Rover
07-04-2009, 08:32 AM
I have some huge bare spots under trees on clay soil (and sloped, to make it worse). Plus, my Tiff grass is really struggling? Any suggestions on treating the soil and which grass is best to grow under the trees? Would like low water suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestions.

drumsncode
07-04-2009, 09:21 AM
I have some huge bare spots under trees on clay soil (and sloped, to make it worse). Plus, my Tiff grass is really struggling? Any suggestions on treating the soil and which grass is best to grow under the trees? Would like low water suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Although you'll get great advice on this board, my first thought would be just to go to TLC or another lawn/garden store, and talk to them, since you probably are going to buy your grass seed there anyway.

Fescue comes to mind as a good shade grass, but as I recall, it takes plenty of water. There are probably hybrid grasses these days that are even better.

Stinger
07-05-2009, 07:31 AM
My advice would be go to Horn Seed on NW Expressway near Penn Square. They'll ask you about exact shade, traffic, etc. They have the most varities that I've seen. I ended up with Wolfpack Tall Fescue and it's done ok. Its a fine blade that is pretty sensitive to sun, but handles traffic fairly well.