View Full Version : I-44 North of I-40 to Hefner Parkway: What are they doing?

Cid
07-02-2009, 07:02 PM
I've seen them jackhammering the concrete and then building up these inserts on both sides of the road, 3 per side, where each tire would run over them. Each row of these inserts is only a few meters apart. Then, once they are built up, they grate the road to level it. Even after grating the road you can still see the inserts in the concrete.

What are they? What do they do? What are they for?

Anyone else seen this?

Luke
07-02-2009, 07:10 PM
I've seen them jackhammering the concrete and then building up these inserts on both sides of the road, 3 per side, where each tire would run over them. Each row of these inserts is only a few meters apart. Then, once they are built up, they grate the road to level it. Even after grating the road you can still see the inserts in the concrete.

What are they? What do they do? What are they for?

Anyone else seen this?

I've been dying to know what's going on too. They're doing it all over the city.

Three little strips under each tread every few feet...

What is going on?

Midtowner
07-02-2009, 07:11 PM
I have no answer for you... but you just measured a distance in meters.

CuatrodeMayo
07-02-2009, 07:23 PM
COMMUNIST!!!

Over time, the concrete sections of the highway have moved and shifted up and down resulting in a rougher ride. The "inserts" are steel dowels that are being placed in the slots sawed into the concrete. These dowels help to tie the concrete sections of highway to each other, so they won't move as much. Once the dowels are in place, they can grind the highway smooth and keep it servicable for a few more years.

Hope that answers your questions.

bbhill
07-02-2009, 07:24 PM
They did this a couple years back or so all along the Kilpatrick turnpike. I'm not sure what they are for. Some kind of strengthening device?

edit: it seems we already know lol

yukong
07-02-2009, 08:26 PM
As mayo said. They are placing stainless steel rods ( rather large ones) in each slot. I believe 6 per slab per joint. They keep the slabs from moving side to side and help reduce up and down movement. Once they put in the rods they fill the slots with cement. After that cures they mill the road with diamond studded gringing wheels. This makes for a very smooth ride but also puts a little texture on the surface for better traction in wet conditions. It is a very tedious and labor intensive job. But it will extend the life of the roadway for many many years. Without them the average serviceable life of a concrete road is about 30 years. This should extend the life for many more years. Depends on the condition when they do the retrofit. I believe all new concrete road construction has the rods placed from the beginning. Asphalt gives a smoother ride than concrete because they can do a seamless surface but it has a serviceable life of about a 1/3 of concretes life.

bombermwc
07-03-2009, 12:45 PM
They've done this everyone in OKC that has a concrete highway. I'm surprised you haven't seen it in other places....they've been doing this work for almost 10 years in various areas.

It's a method pioneered here BTW.

fromdust
07-03-2009, 04:53 PM
it sure has made for a much nicer ride on 40, thats for sure! now im not pissed off every time i drive it:smile:

bluedogok
07-03-2009, 04:59 PM
The expansive clay soils in OK are rough on all paving/foundations that comes in contact with it. It was quite an adjustment doing foundations on the limestone base here in Central Texas, they tend to be much lighter.

DaveSkater
07-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Do any of you know what the deal with the "wavy" bridges on the Kilpatrick turnpike (between I40 and the NW Expressway area) are all about? It would seem that they are settling or something. I wonder how long they'll last like that.....

fromdust
07-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Do any of you know what the deal with the "wavy" bridges on the Kilpatrick turnpike (between I40 and the NW Expressway area) are all about? It would seem that they are settling or something. I wonder how long they'll last like that.....

thats one of my biggest gripes. its called they cant effing build bridges in oklahoma, and those bridges have been that way since the day they opened.

yukong
07-07-2009, 02:04 PM

That was a construction flaw caused by the contractor hired to build the bridge(s). The contractor was fined heavily for the defect. The State was going to make them rebuild them, but it would have delayed the opening of the turnpike for another year and a half or so, therefore they just left it like it is now.

DaveSkater
07-07-2009, 02:16 PM
I worry about the safety issue, everytime I get behind a loaded semi (90,000lbs) and the hammering effect that has to cause the bridge.... Can't be a good thing

bbhill
07-07-2009, 04:22 PM
I love driving on those bridges. lol Its like a mini massage. But I also know that the bridge is simultaneously destroying my struts. :(

bluedogok
07-07-2009, 05:48 PM
I never noticed it in my pickup, it really shows up in my Z4 with a much shorter wheelbase and tighter suspension. We ran across worse on paving on grade on I-45 between Clear Lake and Galveston, my wife didn't like it at all.

fromdust
07-07-2009, 10:58 PM
That was a construction flaw caused by the contractor hired to build the bridge(s). The contractor was fined heavily for the defect. The State was going to make them rebuild them, but it would have delayed the opening of the turnpike for another year and a half or so, therefore they just left it like it is now.

wow.... so the state rather have a half ass job than delaying the opening. that just burns me even more than driving on it.:cuss2: