View Full Version : Independence Day

westsidesooner
07-02-2009, 10:33 AM
http://www.illuminationsnc.com/images/animated_flag.gif

I know there are several threads on Independence day in some of the suburb threads but I wanted to start one for the metro in general. How do you, your family and friends plan to spend the July 4th weekend? I know there are several events planned but I havent heard much about them.

We ususally go to the Freedom Fest in Bethany at Eldon Lyon. Mainly because its close to home and we can ride our bikes to the park to avoid all the crowds and traffic. It may not be the biggest July 4th display but it has a great small town feel to it with its car shows and parade. A wonderful little slice of Americana if you will. We are also planing on going to see the Vietnam Veterans memorail replica at Piedmont HS. http://www.newsok.com/vietnam-veterans-memorial-replica-travels-to-piedmont/article/3382351?custom_click=lead_story_title

I have to admit that I'm very proud of our neighborhood. Most of the homes have flags flying out front and bunting in their windows. Some even have colored light (red, white and blue) draped on their fences. Its just a feel good thing.

If you know of any events planned for this weekend please post them here. I hope everyone has a great weekend and celebrates our Independence with pride. Remember our troops and veterans and pause to think of their sacrifices. Happy Birthday America

MadMonk
07-02-2009, 11:07 AM
We are going to the Vietnam veterans memorial replica on Friday and on the 4th we are going to the Redhawks game and then home to blow some stuff up. The Bethany Freedom Fest is a great time too.

DaveSkater
07-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Wild horse park in Mustang America! Bring your own fireworks and participate in the largest fireworks show you have ever seen! It's so big its freakin dangerous. Gives you the feel of actually being at war! The smoke, the burns the explosions, fellow Americans blasting away..... lol

For me and my kids, there is no other place to be! I've already got nearly 300 bucks worth, and plan on buying a few more.....

oneforone
07-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Unless I am mistaken...
A couple of years ago Mustang banned fireworks on public and city property because people would not pick up after themselves. Residents can still shoot fireworks on their oen property.

DaveSkater
07-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Went last year, no problem.
According to the info posted on the door at the TNT superstore,

June 27th - July 4th Allowed at the park or at your residence. Till 10pm

dalelakin
07-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Wow that is what I call 360 degrees of fireworks. You can literally stand in a spot and have fireworks go off all around you move over 10 feet and see a whole different set that you couldn't see from your previous vantage. I have lived out here for 4 years now and always gone to Yukon no more. If you have not experienced this you are missing a treat at Mustang. Thanks Dave!!

oneforone
07-05-2009, 12:40 AM
One of the local news outlets was out there live in Mustang. The poor girl looked like she was covering news from a warzone. Smoke and fireworks could be seen all around. It's probably a good thing it rained otherwise Mustang would be a smoldering pile of ashes right now.

westsidesooner
07-05-2009, 08:22 AM
We could see the fireworks in Mustang from lake Overholser. It looked like the entiire town was a war zone. It must have been awesome up close if we coulld see that many fireworks from 5 miles to the north Thanks for the suggestion Dave. We'll try Mustang next year.

MadMonk
07-05-2009, 02:25 PM
I'll definitely consider Mustang next year. That sounds awesome.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
07-05-2009, 07:11 PM
We watched a nice little Independence Day Film called "Live Free Or Die Hard".

DaveSkater
07-06-2009, 07:55 AM
My pleasure.... Glad I was able to steer a few of you out.

It really is amazing!