View Full Version : Skybird

ddavidson8
07-01-2009, 10:17 AM
I remember hearing this song as a kid on some kind of commercial. I think it was for a furniture store, but it could have also been a bumper played before movies at the cinema. I was born in 1973 and that's when Jonathan Livingston Seagull was released, so I'm pretty sure I'm not remembering it from the actual movie or movie rental.

YouTube - Jonathan Livingston Seagull - Skybird (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGh8IpBg4wY)

papaOU
07-01-2009, 12:53 PM
I remember hearing this song as a kid on some kind of commercial. I think it was for a furniture store, but it could have also been a bumper played before movies at the cinema. I was born in 1973 and that's when Jonathan Livingston Seagull was released, so I'm pretty sure I'm not remembering it from the actual movie or movie rental.

YouTube - Jonathan Livingston Seagull - Skybird (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGh8IpBg4wY)

Man I don't have a clue. I was thinking Kris Kristofferson sang the song but when I played it it's Neil Diamond. Kris Kristofferson starred in the film. Maybe Prunepicker or USG '60 knows.

(I would have mentioned Generals '64 may know, but that would just give him a big head.):LolLolLol

ddavidson8
07-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Could it be the theme to the jude and jodie commercials?

Generals64
07-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Could it be the theme to the jude and jodie commercials?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
you are all Jerks...now I can't get it out of my head. The song has some bars from some old Mathis brothers jingles...but, there is a lot of places that have a resemblance to "sing song sing"...another Neil Diamond ...Man I'm too D@#$% Sick to be doing this but I love you all.....PapaOu I have found some Super Neat items for the next meeting. Things you and I have never thought of from the past....Can't bring one but I received a "V"ictory pistol from world war 1.....also, a walking cane dated in 1700's my wifes' Great, Great, Great Gandmother's
Going back to the medicine cabinet and then to bed....

ddavidson8
07-01-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm thinking it's a furniture commercial song for sure now. I just don't remember Mathis Bros. using music in their commercials.

Generals64
07-01-2009, 07:38 PM
I'm thinking it's a furniture commercial song for sure now. I just don't remember Mathis Bros. using music in their commercials.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bud and Don Mathis along with Jude and Jody had a western show on Reno sponsored by "Duke" Evans ...big Red Furniture warehouse grew out of that and then Bud and Don (Jude and Jody worked for them) and then Jude and Jody opened a store in about '64 or '65 in an old Safeway building that "burned" to the ground in the late '60's only to be rebuilt and become very successful....Bud and Don Mathis were rather large in the Country/Western scene and had their own Saturday afternoon show on channel four WKY-TV...

ddavidson8
07-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Yeah, but this song is not really country. The first time I heard the instrumental, which is also on the JLS soundtrack, I immediately knew that I had heard it somewhere in my childhood. I want to say it's J&J more than Mathis, but I'd really like some proof so I can get it out of my head.

ddavidson8
07-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Anyone figure it out?

bornhere
07-15-2012, 01:59 PM
I didn't listen to it, but 'Skybird' is definitely from 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull,' definitely sung by Neil Diamond, and was used as theme music for close to twenty years by one of the smaller furniture stores. It wasn't Bruno's, but it was one of the stores that was in the same market space. I'll probably think of it later.

Joe Kimball
07-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Is the store Marquis Furniture?

I also definitely remember the same music being used for a window and siding place.