View Full Version : Core to Shore Park....estimated park size?

okclee
06-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Something that has been questioned before, but I haven't ever heard a good reply is...

Core to Shore Park, How was the size of this park determined?

At least the preliminary plans or drawings that we have seen, these show the parks size and overall plot between the river and downtown Okc.

Who designed the intial size of this park? and what was the size based on?

It looks as if the next MAPS vote will involve building this Core to Shore Park, but my opinion is this park is no where near the size that it should be.
I think that with the amount of land that is available here, Okc should build an enormous park maybe 10 times the size that the drawings show.

Any thoughts?

metro
06-30-2009, 01:55 PM
The estimation is around 38 acres, a far cry from what it should be.

okclee
06-30-2009, 03:22 PM
I was thinking somewhere in the 35 to 40 acres range. But who determined this size? and why?

I would like to hear from someone that has this information. Maybe Steve can help me out with my question.

khook
06-30-2009, 09:22 PM
okclee you bring up some good questions. It has been discussed in another thread--- discussed and cussed. My previous comment on the subject still stands... WE GOT EXACTLY WHAT THE PLANNERS WERE TOLD TO PROVIDE. Could it be that powers to be want the land for private development... If so we will still be waiting on them to develop it decades into the future...... (1960 urban renewal repeat---the stripped lots are still stripped in 2010) HMMMM fifty years and counting.....

Luke
06-30-2009, 09:42 PM
If so we will still be waiting on them to develop it decades into the future...... (1960 urban renewal repeat---the stripped lots are still stripped in 2010) HMMMM fifty years and counting.....

Imagine what downtown would look like if all those old buildings were still around. That would be something to see. I wonder if the government forced them out or how all the buildings were acquired in order to destroy them?

metro
07-09-2009, 02:55 PM
The "Central Park" as we know it will be 40 acres. C2S has been poorly marketed and the public has not been educated very well on this issue to say the least. C2S will be a series of 5 parks (if you include Myriad Gardens). Each park will have a different purpose, so don't be pissed if you don't see the main uses for a park that you'd like to see in the "Central Park". Just south of the new I-40 will hopefully be what is called an extension of Central Park and it will be another 15 acres. South of that will be Promenade Park and then that will connect to Riverfront Park. On the other side of the river of course already is Wiley Post Park. Don't be surprised to see "Central Park" (the only one people really know about) to cost $100 million or more on its own. More details on this will be released tomorrow, and hopefully within the next couple of weeks more info will be released. Look for MAPS 3 announcement in September.

urbanity
07-22-2009, 01:04 PM
MAPS 3 could bring massive park to downtown area
MAPS 3 could bring massive central park to OKC downtown area | OKG Scene.com (http://tinyurl.com/kk7ujp)

Jesseda
07-22-2009, 01:12 PM
wow only 20th the size od new yorks central park

jbrown84
07-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Massive, it is not, unfortunately.

Midtowner
07-23-2009, 03:45 PM
I think we're starting to see what C2S is all about. It's all about developing $300-$400/sq. ft. 2-3 story brownstones in highly dense areas surrounding smallish parks paid for by the public.

andy157
07-23-2009, 05:28 PM
I think we're starting to see what C2S is all about. It's all about developing $300-$400/sq. ft. 2-3 story brownstones in highly dense areas surrounding smallish parks paid for by the public.This possible motive does lend creedence(sp) to the old adage which tells you to follow the money.

okclee
07-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Once again this is why I will be voting NO on MAPS 3.

I continue to say, the only MAPS project that I see being for the people by the people is mass transit. All other proposals are based on GREED.

MAPS 1 and 2 were projects for the people, MAPS 3 is not.

Vote NO!

kevinpate
07-23-2009, 08:23 PM
I won't say it's a small park, but if you knock over your red bull can, some folks might just drown.
8^)

Platemaker
07-24-2009, 08:12 AM
I just the current plans for redevelopment of the Myriad Gardens to include several new features... pretty exciting!

metro
07-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Again, keep in mind, as it is "proposed" Core to Shore will have a series of 5 parks stretching all the way to the river, and then you've got Wiley Post Park and Matt Hoffman Action Park just south of the river. If you count all parks proposed or "visioned" it will be around 300 acres I believe. Now, the question is WHAT will be proposed in MAPS 3. Will it just be the main "Central Park" or will it be the other 3 new parks as well? That is the question, Shakespeare had it wrong.

Platemaker
07-24-2009, 09:39 AM
This is park related thread so I'll just post this here...

Looks like Alice Harn Park has been renamed!

From Google Maps:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/Platemaker_photos/hampark.jpg

jbrown84
07-26-2009, 09:00 PM
Huh?

I see "Harn Park"

Platemaker
07-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Really.... I see 'Ham'.... oh well...