View Full Version : Relieving the Congestion on 19th

froggiluv
06-29-2009, 03:08 PM
Relieving the congestion on 19th should be of major concern for the retailers who want to enter the market in Moore. I would actually like to see a highway overpass for 34th street, just to alleviate and help get traffic to all sides of the great new stores and not just backing down 19th!

osupokesno1
07-03-2009, 06:50 AM
That right there is a great idea. Perhaps you should write the city council. :)

Easy180
07-03-2009, 06:58 AM
It appears the city is working on it...This is from their Moore Vision 20/20 plan

I-35 Corridor
Traffic Flow
Work with ODOT to gain an overpass at I-35 and S 34th Street.

craigbanks
07-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Where did you find that on the Moore Vision 20/20 plan? I can't seem to locate it unless I am overlooking it. Thanks.

Easy180
07-03-2009, 09:44 AM
I just searched for 34th but it looks like it's on Page 15 under the Header I-35Corridor

I would bet we see it going in within the next 5 years...Especially after the west side gets completely filled in

MrZ
07-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Anyone know exactly what they are doing to the 19th street bridge? They have been working on it for around 2 weeks and all I have seen them doing is working on the area in the middle. Are they widening the lanes or adding a new lane to each side?

craigbanks
07-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Thanks "Easy 180" I appreciate the info. It's weird though that this topic came up because when my wife and I moved to Moore from Edmond thats one of the first things I said, they needed to do back in 2004 was to add a 34th st. exit and 19th has just steadily gotten more congested since then. We live on the east side of I-35 between Indian Hills and 19th and usually go down Indian Hills to Telephone Rd. if we are going anywhere in that area. I avoid 19th like the plague!

SeinfeldBlock
07-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Anyone know exactly what they are doing to the 19th street bridge? They have been working on it for around 2 weeks and all I have seen them doing is working on the area in the middle. Are they widening the lanes or adding a new lane to each side?

I think I read earlier this year that they were widening it to include longer turn lanes in the middle (meaning it won't be divided at all) to cut on some of the turn lane congestion. Also, southound 35 exit will gain a lane designated for right turns only (yay!!). So someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that on the city of Moore website at some point I think. :gossip:

selk1
08-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Bridge and right turn lane FINALLY completed!! It seems to be working well!
I grew very tired of the congestion.

MonkeesFan
08-26-2009, 04:44 PM
Bridge and right turn lane FINALLY completed!! It seems to be working well!
I grew very tired of the congestion.

About f*cking time!

decepticobra
08-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks "Easy 180" I appreciate the info. It's weird though that this topic came up because when my wife and I moved to Moore from Edmond thats one of the first things I said, they needed to do back in 2004 was to add a 34th st. exit and 19th has just steadily gotten more congested since then. We live on the east side of I-35 between Indian Hills and 19th and usually go down Indian Hills to Telephone Rd. if we are going anywhere in that area. I avoid 19th like the plague!

another classic example of a traffic headache when cities let businesses have full control at commercial development. I believe one of the worst traffic nightmares in the city would be at memorial and penn.

so why does the greater okc area have these pockets of rampant commercial development with oodles of big box retailers all clustered together creating commuting havoc when so many other areas are crying desperately for urban renewal?

our metropolitan area is rather expansive and spread-out, youd think commercial development would follow suit. nope.

i can easily remember in late 1997 when the only thing to the west side of I-35 and 19th street in Moore was Burger King and Wal-Mart. My, what a huge difference 12 years can make.