View Full Version : Moving Downtown

Richard at Remax
06-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Hey all. I am looking to move downtown within the next year and need to know of which places to check out and which to avoid.

Other things is that I am looking to buy not rent.

So if anyone lives downtown or knows someone who does I'd really like to hear some suggestions.

Thanks

OKCisOK4me
06-29-2009, 02:53 PM
I don't know if it has been stated or how full they are but I was at Red Pin yesterday and the bartender inside told me the top floor units at The Centennial go for no less than $1 million, the second floor units between $100,000 to $200,000. I didn't ask what range of square footage there was on the units though.

Midtowner
06-29-2009, 03:00 PM
The last time I saw prices for the Centennial, it was about $300/sq. ft.

For any new construction downtown, prices range between $225-$275/sq. ft.

BailJumper
06-30-2009, 04:54 AM
By "downtown" do you mean actually in Bricktown or Deep Deuce? Or, do you just mean living in or around the downtown area. Also, can we get an idea of your budget?

While you can rent from moderate to high budgets, you better have a big bank account of really good credit is you're gonna buy/build.

Richard at Remax
06-30-2009, 08:09 AM
Budget is a cash deal of about 300-450k. Great Grandfather must have really liked me for some reason and left me and inheretance and I figured now would be a good time to buy.

and I am looking at the Hill, Lofts at Maywood, Central Ave, and Block 42. The Brownstones are cool but they seem wayyy overpriced, but then again what isn't overpriced down there.

I don't know if the places I mentioned above rent or not but I wouldn't be against it. Thanks for the responses.

metro
06-30-2009, 10:34 AM
I don't know if it has been stated or how full they are but I was at Red Pin yesterday and the bartender inside told me the top floor units at The Centennial go for no less than $1 million, the second floor units between $100,000 to $200,000. I didn't ask what range of square footage there was on the units though.

The Centennial is SOLD OUT and they started at over $300K per unit. Now I know several owners have since put units up for sale, so it's possible with the current economy they could have dropped a smaller unit for the high 200K's. Your best bet is to just look at all the downtown properties that have for sale units and decide on what YOU like. I've lived downtown for 4 years now and love it, been to all the downtown properties and not one that I don't like, it's all personal preference as with anything. If I cautioned you to stay away from anything, it'd be the Hill as I think they are overpriced for what you can get elsewhere downtown for the same money. Honestly, I think the Brownstones are the best buy for the money, if you have that kind of money, I think they are a sound longterm investment compared to some of the others.

BBatesokc
06-30-2009, 11:36 AM
The wife and I are currently looking downtown since the kiddo goes off to college next year.

We've opted for some place like Mesta Park, Hertiage Hills, etc. because it seems we could get more amenities we want for our money (yard, large porch, a since of a real neighborhood, parking, but within walking/bike riding distance to downtown for about $300K).

I lived downtown for awhile in different locations. I like it, I just think for what they are getting you can buy more bang for your buck elsewhere.

khook
06-30-2009, 09:31 PM
bbatesokc - Your price range you will find some in Mesta Park.... Not Heritage Those listed in HH are running $180-225 sq. ft. Mesta you will find fixer ups or fixed up in the 2000-2500 sq. ft range.

Steve
06-30-2009, 09:56 PM
I know this won't make me popular, but I'd suggest looking at all of the major developments yourself. There is a lot of misinformation on this board and out on the streets about pricing, value, etc. I can tell you the guy at Red Pin is totally off in his info and there are inaccuracies being repeated in this thread as well (not intentionally).

I know some people who live at The Hill and love it, even with construction stalled. The most active "community" seems to evolved at Block 42, while The Centennial has the drawback of having a lot of corporate condos that aren't full time residences. The Brownstones may be the most ambitious of the projects and are very close to the central business district. The Maywood Lofts are less expensive but also close to Bricktown, CBD and Deep Deuce. Ditto for the Central Avenue Villas.
Pricing is what you can negotiate. Make no assumptions going in. You're buying in a buyer's market thanks to the current economy. Any prices being cited to you on this board are speculative at best.
If you want to walk to plays at Stage Center or the Myriad Gardens, or to games at Ford Center or the Bricktown Ballpark, or be in the heart of downtown, any one of these developments should be a good place to start looking. And this is the "value" that Bates may be overlooking.

Richard at Remax
07-01-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks all. I heard about the corporate people buying the centenial condos for clients and due to it being right in the middle of everything I dunno about noise and such.

That's why I want to get going on this because its a buyers market and this will probably be the best time to get a good deal.

I wish there were some more developments in midtown because thats my favorite area.

I've looked online and found that Central Ave Villas and the lofts only have one place with the size I am looking for (1400-2000sqft) and I am looking at those this weekend.

About the Hill, I know construction has stalled but is there plans to finish or are they selling off the rest of the land?

And one more thing, does anyone know off thier head through hearsay the homeowners fees, because they don't ususally tell you on the websites.

THanks again

metro
07-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Worthy, you could try looking at Harvey Lofts in MidTown and definitely talk to MidTown Renaissance guys as they have several prospective properties for residential, but are waiting for owners to purchase so they can do customized build outs. Definitely don't rule out MidTown. Heck you could even purchase a lot and build your own modern house over in SoSA for your price range (easily). Actually some of the HOA fees are posted on several of the developments websites, but they really vary from property to property. As far as the Hill, Phase 2 and 3 are stalled for now, and they can't just sell off the land considering it's an Urban Renewal project.

ksearls
07-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Worthy,

I heard there were units for sale at the Centennial. I checked the MLS and it looks like there are five, a few in your price range. I second Steve's suggestion to contact the properties directly or work with a realtor that knows what is available. You can check Downtown OKC > Home (http://www.downtownokc.com) for links to all of the Downtown living options.

Glad you will be in the hood!
kim

CuatrodeMayo
07-01-2009, 12:05 PM
You could get brave and just find a building you like in a location you like and find a way to make it your home. I know of a good Intern Architect who would be more than happy to help you out...;)

BailJumper
07-01-2009, 03:30 PM
I've seen homes in and around DT that could definitely be bought in the $300K range if you're not over 2,000 - 2,500 sq feet.

metro
07-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Kim, no offense but the DOKC website only has SOME of the Downtown Housing.

DaveSkater
07-02-2009, 10:00 AM
I've seen homes in and around DT that could definitely be bought in the $300K range if you're not over 2,000 - 2,500 sq feet.

Wow, if I had 300k to lay down on a home, I damn sure wouldn't be looking at downtown as an option. Call me silly, but I prefer a little privacy.....I'd be looking at a 2000sqft on about 5 acres just west of town.... But that's just me. YRMV

Good luck in your search tho!

Richard at Remax
07-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Yeah I have been living in Edmond about 3 years out of college and while its a good place to raise a family, I feel I am missing out on being around people my age. That plus the fact, though still not cheap, prices have come down there I feel like its a good opportunity to capitalize on the situation.

Richard at Remax
07-06-2009, 10:32 AM
also, anyone have any thoughts on 360 at founders tower? happened to drive by there the other day and it caught my attention.

Midtowner
07-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Founder's isn't downtown. It does offer tremendous views though. I also hear the amenities are great. I think it's still mostly vacant though. Moving there, I'd be really concerned that the owners will start leasing spaces out (which will destroy your property value).

Richard at Remax
07-06-2009, 01:25 PM
well I obviously knew it wasn't downtown :dizzy: was just in the area and looked interesting. but I didn't know about the leasing part so that might hinder that idea

Midtowner
07-06-2009, 01:51 PM
To be clear, they haven't leased any of those units to my knowledge, but if what I've heard is true (completely unsubstantiated rumors), then there is a very low occupancy rate there.

Anyhow, this is rank speculation on my part. I encourage you to give them a call at the very least. I understand the views are spectacular and many of the units have AWESOME balconies.

(sorry for the BILLY MAYS, but that's all I could come up with to do the balconies justice)

Richard at Remax
07-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Just an update I went down last evening and look at three properties: central ave villas, block 42, and The HIll.

I plan on only going back to Block 42 because they seemed to have to most going for them and the residents I talked to were very down to earth and answered any question honestly.

Central Ave was a big disappointment to me. For a new construction the layouts were very strange, such as in the master bath in one there was a shower tub combo, then right next to it was a walk in shower. and some of the doors to rooms was just a doorframe, with no actual doors. While the exterior was neat, the interior of the building looked like a jail.

The hill was very high quality but the fact that they were still in limbo over phases two and three was a real downer because the unit i liked had fences and dirt out the window that was probably not going to change over the next year.

I still have yet to see the lofts at maywood park, I do that monday, but I was wondering if anyone knew when they would be finished because they look close

icecold
07-17-2009, 02:39 PM
I plan on only going back to Block 42 because they seemed to have to most going for them and the residents I talked to were very down to earth and answered any question honestly.

If you dont mind saying, what was the price on some of those you were looking at? Assuming you were looking in the 1400-2000sq ft. range. How were the amenities? Pool?

Richard at Remax
07-20-2009, 10:35 AM
The ones I looked at were ~1600 sq feet and were give or take 370k-402k. The only place I looked at that had a pool was the Centennial but those were way overpriced. The Hill will have a pool eventually when they get going on the next phases.

Richard at Remax
07-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Well I finally got to look at the lofts at maywood park and honestly I was not that impressed. The floor plans seemed to generic and the hardware and woodwork was very tradional, which confused me because in the pictures on the website it looks very contemporary. plus the lady showing me the place was a real, i mean real, b*&ch.

with that I decided to shelve my plans for now and come back to them in the spring when things have begun to mature more because there was nothing down there that I couldn't live without right now.

Steve
07-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Worthy Cook, can you call me? Your search mirrors others I've heard about and I'd like to write about it. You can reach me at 4*7*5-3*2*3*0.
(Astericks to avoid online bots)
Thanks - Steve

flintysooner
07-23-2009, 05:52 PM
I looked at Central Avenue the other day. I do understand the comment about the strange layout. Still I think the layout could be used to good advantage.

But I really liked the exterior design and the density of the construction. The thing was just so quiet and solid. Just hard to get that without density.

I was impressed with the geothermal heating and cooling and the weather proofing. Really no cost spared there and that's a long term payoff. The combined cable, phone, and internet pricing was amazing! I thought that was a really good feature all by itself. The big terrace was nice, too. And I was in the garage when a couple of residents were coming and going. Visited with one person who was really positive about the entire experience of living there.

The cost per sf is definitely high but the quality of construction was also evident though as much in things that aren't very visible or spectacular.

That corner unit that is being custom finished was amazing.

dismayed
07-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Well I finally got to look at the lofts at maywood park and honestly I was not that impressed. The floor plans seemed to generic and the hardware and woodwork was very tradional, which confused me because in the pictures on the website it looks very contemporary. plus the lady showing me the place was a real, i mean real, b*&ch.

with that I decided to shelve my plans for now and come back to them in the spring when things have begun to mature more because there was nothing down there that I couldn't live without right now.

Yeah, isn't it odd?

The other thing that really bugged me was there the place is, in the heart of downtown with some great views to the west of the city skyline, and the whole place was developed facing nothingness to the north and south. I forget what the floor plan was called, but they had one multi-level town-home concept with big funky shaped windows facing downtown but if I remember right they only had like 2 or 4? of those units.

It just seems odd to me. Wish downtown developers would realize it's not just about the place itself, it is also about the view.

metro
07-24-2009, 09:56 AM
worthy, I totally agree about the bad choice of countertops/cabinets and hardware for the lofts. Totally not urban. Unfortunately I was treated fairly rude by their staff as well and have heard others say the same. I hope we'll have you as a Downtown neighbor soon at somewhere you will enjoy! Have you considered buying a 1-2 story building and renovating it yourself?

Richard at Remax
07-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Steve, I am actually out of town right now but I can get back to you either on monday or tuesday if that is ok. Name is Richard btw.

Metro, I was also treated like crap when I also went and looked at central ave villas as well as the brownstones. I put two and two together and realized they were all run by the triangle development but I don't know what their deal is. I guess when the lady first met me she completely wrote me off cause I am 25 and acted like I was wasting her time. Plus when she said there was no negotiating prices I had enough and politely left.

As for the hardware I expected something modern and contemporary like in the pictures here (theloftsatmaywoodpark.com) but it felt very traditional inside and was disappointed. Also, the unit I was looking at there was a building across the street that was adding a floor or two on top of it and it completely wipe out any view of bricktown.

I really wish they had a development that was built north south so you can get that wow view of downtown. the hill does that for some of thier homes but they are a little too far away.

As for renovating my own place that would be something I wouldn't mind doing when I get a little older but not right at the moment. Like I said before I am going to come back in the spring and see how things are then go from there

andimthomas
07-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Wow, if I had 300k to lay down on a home, I damn sure wouldn't be looking at downtown as an option. Call me silly, but I prefer a little privacy.....I'd be looking at a 2000sqft on about 5 acres just west of town.... But that's just me. YRMV

Good luck in your search tho!

300k would buy you a pretty high-end home in Moore. If only my family would have 300k.....or 200k... :Smiley099

metro
07-27-2009, 08:11 AM
Worthy, I'd REALLY encourage you to call Anthony McDermid and tell him your experience personally. I'm assuming you met with Brenda who is the Marketing Manager for the Triangle Group. There is no reason they can't negotiate somewhat on price, and I'd bet Anthony ( a well-respected downtown leader and partner in the Triangle Development Group) would be willing to talk with you.