View Full Version : Best Places to Start Over

Karried
06-28-2009, 08:12 PM
We are mentioned on the first page....

Where struggling Americans can find a fresh start - MSN Real Estate (http://realestate.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=20441600)

oneforone
06-30-2009, 04:10 PM
We are one of a few places that person can live pretty comfortable off a job that pays $10-12 an hour.

Most singles in OKC can get into a one bedroom apartment in a nice area of the metro and still have little spending money. There are only reasons people live in poverty in Oklahoma. They have children at an early age or they have not effort to seek better employment or job training to get them into a better paying job.

Very few Oklahomans living in poverty make the effort to get out of the poverty rut. The majority fail to realize that vo-techs and community colleges make every effort to make training available outside of traditional hours. You can be in a new job in as little as two weeks to ten years. Some of the programs even have employers lined up to put you to work right after completion of the degree or course.

There are also many employers in Oklahoma that will train people with a clean criminal history and good work ethic.

metro
07-01-2009, 08:06 AM
If you go to page 2 of that same article, we aren't even in the top 10.

Luke
07-01-2009, 08:53 AM
If you go to page 2 of that same article, we aren't even in the top 10.

I found that a little odd as well.

Karried
07-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Yeah, I noticed that too.. I think they just lumped us in with Texas ( regional) .... oh well, at least we are mentioned at all!

metro
07-01-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm pretty confident that Texas is the clear winner because of the perception people have had of the state for decades. When they think Oklahoma, Wyoming, North Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas and those other states mentioned, they don't have much of an image or perception in mind, except that there isn't much to do (as the article stated, a slower pace of life). I still think Texas' growth will be a good thing, because plenty of already Texans will get fed up with it and move back or move to Oklahoma for the first time. Texas will become the "New California" and have some major problems on it's hands. That's something OK doesn't want or need.