View Full Version : Buying a Bicycle

Midtowner
06-26-2009, 04:45 PM
I'm looking for a bike. I don't even really know what kind. I don't want to spend more than $700. I'm looking for it mainly to ride around on local bike trails, do a small amount of off-road biking, but mostly on paved trails. I've been looking mainly at hybrids (like a road bike with slightly wider tires and a bulkier frame), but I'm wide open to anything -- except recumbents. I still have my pride.

Where should I be shopping, what should I be shopping for, does anyone have a bike they want to sell? I know there are some cycling enthusiasts on here. Point me in a good direction.

jstanthrnme
06-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Don't buy a hybrid bike. The term might be appealing, but they are pretty pointless.

Since your planing on taking it off-pavement some, then what you want is a Mtn Bike, with shocks on the front (a hardtail).

You'll be able to take it anywhere you want, yet will still be servicable on pavement. The lack of the full suspension should keep it in your price range.

I would recomend Al's Bicycles on N. MacArthur, they have some good used stuff, and new of course. They also offer free tune-ups for as long as you have it.

I'm sure you might be able to find some cheap used bikes in Stillwater and Norman, Buchanans or Al's.

Midtowner
06-26-2009, 05:26 PM
I do live and work downtown, so is there anything wrong with the two downtown bike shops? Pretty much everyone offers free tuneups, so that's just an expectation. As far as the tuneups go, I'd prefer to buy from a place that's convenient for me to pick up/drop off at.

I've been told that about mountain bikes before (i.e., that a mountain bike is what I should be looking at). The drawback I'm told is that when you're the road, especially going uphill, those shocks really work against you -- and that can't be fixed without buying some really expensive adjustable shocks.

jstanthrnme
06-26-2009, 05:34 PM
I've never dealt with any of the downtown bike shops, so I can't tell you. If the convenience of the location is important to you, then go to one of those shops.

I bought my bike about 10 years ago, and it has no suspension whatsoever. On the local paved trails, it does fine. Not a road bike, for sure, but it works. When I take it mountain biking at NuDraper, Bluff Creek, Roman Nose, etc... I wish I had put the extra cash into basic suspension. So if your going to take it off road at all, buy a hardtail, and if your going to be doing that a lot, then splurge for the full suspension.

Don't even concern yourself with the thought of going uphill on a road, this ain't San Fransisco.

mireaux
06-26-2009, 07:54 PM
I'm looking for a bike. I don't even really know what kind. I don't want to spend more than $700. I'm looking for it mainly to ride around on local bike trails, do a small amount of off-road biking, but mostly on paved trails. I've been looking mainly at hybrids (like a road bike with slightly wider tires and a bulkier frame), but I'm wide open to anything -- except recumbents. I still have my pride.

Where should I be shopping, what should I be shopping for, does anyone have a bike they want to sell? I know there are some cycling enthusiasts on here. Point me in a good direction.

craigslist or postaroo are good ground to start with. since you say youre "wide open to anything", walmart usually carries roadmaster mens and women's bikes, usually right under $100.00...just as decent and durable as most anything twice the price.

Easy180
06-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Don't buy a hybrid bike. The term might be appealing, but they are pretty pointless.

Have to agree...Unfortunately I bought one of these cause I was going to use it primarily on the street...Was wondering why I was always working my azz off trying to keep up with the mountain bikes riding along the river...Went back in to get some street tires and the dude told me the bike is built for a slow leisurely ride

Thought I was just horribly out of shape...Course I am but at least that made me feel better

OKCisOK4me
06-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Have to agree...Unfortunately I bought one of these cause I was going to use it primarily on the street...Was wondering why I was always working my azz off trying to keep up with the mountain bikes riding along the river...Went back in to get some street tires and the dude told me the bike is built for a slow leisurely ride

Thought I was just horribly out of shape...Course I am but at least that made me feel better

My fitness bike by Giant is classified as a hybrid but my friend who bough a mountain bike the same day and rode both at Lake Hefner and the Oklahoma River trails with me kept calling me "Armstrong". Apparently, I guess it really comes down to how hard you push yourself cause I was smoking his arse on my "leisure bike"! I love it and enjoy it and I wouldn't trade it for a mountain bike any day. Then again, I'm not one that likes to take bumpy off road rides so I'm content ;-)

fourthworldtraffic
06-27-2009, 10:19 AM
If you are buying a bike for the first time or just need maintainance and good honest people to deal with,go see Terry and company at Bicycle Alley..They won't steer you wrong and they provide great a great range of bicycles,equipment,maintainance and education.
Good luck.

BBatesokc
06-27-2009, 06:05 PM
I've been in the same boat for awhile. I actually own two TREK 820 mountain bikes and love them. One has road tires and has knobby off-road tires. Neither has any sort of suspension. I'm selling one (and maybe both) on CraigsList right now ($100 to any OKCTalk'r).

Don't really know why, but I've been looking for a new bike for several months now. Just looking to treat myself and give myself motivation to ride a bike on my daily trip to OCPD and the court house.

I ride at Draper most every Sunday morning (25 miles) and have no problem with no front suspension. I've been told several times that suspension does make a really rough ride easier but you really have to be pretty hard core to really need it (which I am not). Also, yes, the front shocks will work against you on pavement.

I looked at the hybrids for awhile but after reading several biking magazines have decided against them for the reasons others have given. A mountain bike is the way to go if you plan to go off road or hope any curbs at all. How much and how extreme will determine what components you really need.

IMO I am going for either a TREK or a Cannondale. I talked to several OCPD bike patrol officers and they were not big fans of their GIANT brand mtn bikes.

I was also advised to consider buying a second set of wheels. One set with wider street tires (for a smoother ride) and one set of off-road tires. Virtually all mtn. bikes have quick release wheels so the change takes only seconds.

I looked at the two shops downtown. The one next to Coffee Slingers had one I really liked that allowed you to lockout the front shocks when on pavement. But, they only offer free adjustments for the first year ($70 each after that).

The shop across the street had several in the $400-$600 price range that I really liked and they give free lifetime tune-ups/adjustments if you buy from them ($70 each otherwise).

My TREKS I own now are from Al's, but honestly I'm not real thrilled with their employees lack of knowledge the last time I went in one of their stores.

I hope to make my decision in the next week or two, buy a new bike and get rid of my two TREK 820's.

CuatrodeMayo
06-28-2009, 07:10 AM
I'll third it...avoid the hybrid. It's for people who want to ride a road bike without having to "assume the position".

Absolutely go with front springs. Compared with power-hogging rear springs, front suspension will barely slow you and they will save your wrists and palms on a root-strewn trail. Also, if you commute or even just ride around downtown, front suspension will protect you from the many pavement surprises. Besides, the wide knobbies and the upright position will slow you down more than any suspension system on paved trails.

I have heard many great things about the staff at Bicycle Alley and I would recommend them since you live close by. Everytime I go to Al's (Edmond) looking for parts or to get work done on my sub-$400 bikes, I get the second-class citizen treatment (lol).

I'll second BBates and recommend either Trek or Cannondale; however, if you want to use a good chunk of that $700 for other things, you have options. I have a Schwinn mountain bike I bought 3 years ago in college from Target for less than $150. It is well-built bike with decent quality components. I commuted to and around campus most every day for a couple of years and took it to the trails at lease once every couple of weeks. Compared to my compadres' multiple & expensive shop visits, this bike has been a champ.

Given the amount of time you plan to ride, I would recommend you save yourself about $550. But that's me.

Midtowner
06-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Yeah, I actually plan to ride it quite a bit. During college, I stayed in pretty decent shape by riding a couple of times around Hefner just about every day, and if not there, I'd ride the trails out in the Mitch Park and Coffee Creek areas in Edmond.

I'm looking for a good 20 mile per day bike as now that I'm done with the law school thing, I no longer have a valid excuse to lead an unhealthy lifestyle.

OKCisOK4me
06-29-2009, 03:02 PM
I'll third it...avoid the hybrid. It's for people who want to ride a road bike without having to "assume the position".

THANK YOU! That's what I love about my bike ;-) I don't have to get up and push hard. I can keep my butt down on my seat and ride exactly as fast as I want. Plus there's been a few times that my chain will slide over the teeth on the fly wheels and my feet will fly off the pedals--no thank you! And I lost a lot of weight riding that bike, pushing myself just as hard as the "assuming the position" riders! Granted I don't ride in packs and piss on other riders as I'm cruising by like the old Kevin Costner wanna be cross country riders that think they own the Lake Hefner Trails, lol.

metro
06-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Mid, support the downtown bike shops if you can. I use both, but I prefer the hospitality at Schlegel's better. Bicycle Alley tends to be a little ruder and treat you like a "second class citizen" (like the poster mentioned about Al's) sometimes, even though I know the owner Terry. Steve (the owner of Schlegel's) is very nice as well.

drumsncode
06-30-2009, 11:30 AM
It might be a good idea to rent a few different styles of bikes and try them for more than an hour. I say this because I own a mountain bike, and because of my lack of flexibility in my lower back, it's still too far bent over for long-term comfort. Plus, the more tired you get, your head just seems to hang lower and you find yourself staring into the pavement on a trail, rather than enjoying the scenery.

If I had it to do over again, I'd get a much more upright position, and I'd make sure the handlebars were more adjustable. Giant makes some cool bikes that are semi-recumbent, and they look amazingly comfortable.

As for the people on the racing bikes, they just blow by me anyway, I've given up on that dream long ago! ;-)

Check out that bicycle store on the Broadway extension, somewhere around Hefner or maybe it's 122nd. It's a fun place to browse.

BBatesokc
06-30-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm glad someone stood up for the big box bikes like you get a Target.

My wife has one of those bikes for going on 10-years now and its great for her casual riding style. You can buy one for under $200 and if something breaks (minus a weld) you can fix it pretty easy. However, if you're gonna ride very regular then I think its worth the investment to get a 'real' bike.

We were at Target the other day and I think she wants a Schwinn Ranger for her birthday. They are on sale for $144 and she would find great satisfaction in a $144 bike that will work for her for the next several years. I'll probably spend $500+ on a new TREK and I'm sure I will routinely be reminded how her bike works just as well as my more expensive one!

One caution though is that the biggest downfall of a big box bike is the care taken by the big box employee who put it together. Also, Target has a terrible return policy. You buy it, its yours, PERIOD.

rondvu
06-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Mid, support the downtown bike shops if you can. I use both, but I prefer the hospitality at Schlegel's better. Bicycle Alley tends to be a little ruder and treat you like a "second class citizen" (like the poster mentioned about Al's) sometimes, even though I know the owner Terry. Steve (the owner of Schlegel's) is very nice as well.

He speaks the truth. I encountered the rude employees of Bicycle Alley and swore I would never go back. Schlegel's has great customer service.

Midtowner
06-30-2009, 04:59 PM
I don't really care about rude. I want a good bike at a good price. I'll spend hours upon hours with the bike, I'll maybe spend 15-20 minutes with the salesperson. I could care less whether or not I'm treated like a Saudi Prince so long as I get a good deal for my money.

MadMonk
06-30-2009, 05:26 PM
I've got a Gary Fisher "hybrid" with front suspension and a hard tail and I love it. I ride a lot on rough roads and some dirt and gravel. I'm no speed demon - that's not my thing anyway - but I can go anywhere.

I'm basically like a human-powered, two-wheeled Jeep.
http://p1.hotornot.com/shorts/brands/E8OUE/HURFXMSXLBVSQJRUQBPA.jpg

This one's reasonably priced. Go visit an Al's and check 'em out.
Mako | Gary Fisher Bicycles (http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/mako)

bluedogok
06-30-2009, 07:21 PM
I bought my Cannondale (20 some years ago) at Wheeler Dealer but started taking it to Mark Otto at Budget Bicycles on NW 23rd east of Meridian to get work done on it. It changed names awhile back to Bike One (http://bikeone.us/). He is a new Giant dealer but always has some other interesting bikes there.

bjhenley
06-30-2009, 08:42 PM
Gary Fisher, wish I still had mine.

drumsncode
07-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Any of you visiting Tulsa should check out their bike stores. Lee's Bikes on Peoria is a wonderful store, sitting in Brookside with so much atmosphere.

I don't know if it's still there, but Venables on Harvard does great work as far as maintenance.

There are quite a few other stores too, plus Tulsa is just to-die-for when it comes to being able to ride on beautiful trails.

DaveSkater
07-14-2009, 11:47 AM
I got a Giant STP (street/trail/park) and fitted it with a single speed sprocket. It has a very nice front fork and a hardtail. I ride it mainly at the skatepark (Hoffman). It does pretty well in other areas too.

I'm getting ready to put the gears back on it tho. The single speed experiment was fun for a while, but it's gotten rather tedious.
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/127/l_dd1105aeecd4c1b6f0b06f78a5bd5d5a.jpg
Jeff Lenoski Street Trail Park 26" Mountain bike. Single speed conversion, fox vanilla 125 forks Hydraulic disk breaks

I paid 800bucks for it, used.