View Full Version : Glbt pride okc

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

circuitboard
06-25-2009, 12:16 PM
Well I figured if we can talk about HOG fest this weekend, then we can certainly talk about GLBT pride this weekend. Some "downlow" hog guys will probably make their way to the gay bars also. But anyway this year will be big! If you are not homophobic, come out and support your fellow OKC minorities! =)

Caboose
06-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Well I figured if we can talk about HOG fest this weekend, then we can certainly talk about GLBT pride this weekend. Some "downlow" hog guys will probably make their way to the gay bars also. But anyway this year will be big! If you are not homophobic, come out and support your fellow OKC minorities! =)

Sexuality is kind of a weird thing to be proud of. Its not like its an accomplishment.

kmf563
06-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Sexuality is kind of a weird thing to be proud of. Its not like its an accomplishment.

I don't think that's what it's about. hehe. It's not like a race is an accomplishment either, but they have those pride parades and marches. Or sex either, women's pride month etc.

I think it's about being proud of who you are as a person and how far they have come as a community with regards to laws, rights, and equal opportunities.

westsidesooner
06-25-2009, 02:19 PM
I'd agree with KMF. I'm proud to be an Okie and an American but those arent really accomplishments either. I hope they have a great weekend.

mireaux
06-25-2009, 02:36 PM
i agree with most of the posters here. okay, youre lgbt proud..cool.... be that-do you own thing.

but why flaunt sexuality pride?. thats like a straight guy wearing a shirt with his wife's picture on it stating the number of times they have been intimate since getting married.

see how retarded it is?

Heyuri
06-25-2009, 03:30 PM
i agree with most of the posters here. okay, youre lgbt proud..cool.... be that-do you own thing.

but why flaunt sexuality pride?. thats like a straight guy wearing a shirt with his wife's picture on it stating the number of times they have been intimate since getting married.

see how retarded it is?

Straight people don't get beat up, fired, teased, killed or tortured for having sex with their wife.

westsidesooner
06-25-2009, 03:34 PM
see how retarded it is?

What, your comparison?

Pete
06-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Not to mention the GBLT community is still fighting against discrimination and for civil rights.

Richard at Remax
06-25-2009, 03:46 PM
I don't know if I agree with the term minority. They chose to be that way.

circuitboard
06-25-2009, 04:03 PM

Right, so when did you decide to be straight? 11, 12 yearsold?

USG '60
06-25-2009, 04:19 PM
JEEEZ, Cook, I thought everyone finally understood that it is NOT a choice. You need to update your education.

Matt
06-25-2009, 04:23 PM

I remember making the choice to be straight during my ninth birthday party. My parents sat me right down at the kitchen table and told me I couldn't have any cake until I made up my mind, one way or the other.

onthestrip
06-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Caboose, Mireaux, and worthy cook...why would you even bother leaving comments on this thread. Not only that, they are ignorant comments too.

Doug Loudenback
06-25-2009, 04:33 PM
While eating an onion burger at that old-fashioned hamburger place around 30th-33rd & May or thereabouts (good burgers & fries, by the way), I read through this week's Gazette which had a bunch of interesting articles ... one, believe it or not, by Sally Kern (no, she didn't repeat her gaffe from last year). They are available in the Gazette's website: News | OKG Scene.com (http://www.okgazette.com/p/12729/Default.aspx)

Thunder
06-25-2009, 05:40 PM
It's okay for them to have this pride parade, but it is not okay when some goes too far as being nude or wearing the insane outfit (which is basically near nude or exposed body parts). If they want respect from the people, then they must be appropriate.

Karried
06-25-2009, 05:42 PM
ugh.. Sally Kern, Oklahoma's best and brightest village idiot. She's all over the news again.

Anyway, I hope everyone will enjoy the weekend however you choose to celebrate it. Be proud of who you are and the life you live .. spend time with your loved ones and live life to the fullest... as we have found out again today, life is short.. no time for petty hatred or discrimination of any sort.

Karried
06-25-2009, 05:44 PM
basically near nude or exposed body parts

If you really want to be offended go to White Water Bay ... I did today...

I'm thinking of marketing attractive and stretchable beer belly cover ups... Gawd.

Thunder
06-25-2009, 05:50 PM

I'm thinking of marketing attractive and stretchable beer belly cover ups... Gawd.

Oh, Karrie, you know what I mean. Certain people at these kind of pride, they wear sexual outfits. I can't think of the name for those kind of props.

It's just that there will be children there and these people don't have these children in mind to be respectful.

rondvu
06-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Interesting comments, sometimes things just happen. Do individuals choose Downs Syndrome, Alzheimer's or Diabetes? H-m-m-m-m-m today is Thursday I think I will choose door number three. OMGOSH it's cancer, yea for me. Let's not judge others until you walk in their shoes. An I don't understand would be a more appropriate answer.

Midtowner
06-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Caboose, Mireaux, and worthy cook...why would you even bother leaving comments on this thread. Not only that, they are ignorant comments too.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Their comments have nothing to do with the parade and are raising completely inane issues.

Whether homosexuals should have the same rights as other minorities: not relevant here.

Whether homosexuality is a choice: not relevant in the least.

The parade is these folks way of showing mutual support and being proud of who they are and the fact that they're living their lives on their own terms in spite of wholesale condemnation and discrimination.

Architect2010
06-25-2009, 06:01 PM
Comments akin to Worthy Cook's really hurt my feelings.
Because I know I didn't choose to be the way I am. & If
I could. I'd change in a heartbeat. Do you know how
heartbreaking it is to not love yourself not because of
materialistic things, but because of the way you wired
and think. I can't even love. Let alone Marry. I bet you
don't. You need to choose your words more wisely.

Anyways. Looking forward to hanging with my friends
Sunday! Reppping Southeast in the highschool groups!

soonerguru
06-25-2009, 06:20 PM
It's amazing to me that with the amount of intelligent, progressive posters here, there are still such backward viewpoints.

Never mind. AS a straight, married white male, with a child, I will be attending the parade Sunday.

Karried
06-25-2009, 06:35 PM

uh, uh.. don't even go there. You can love and you will.. and one day, you will share your life with a special person ...... don't ever, ever let an anonymous voice on a message board (or anywhere) dictate to you what you should be or feel.

You are who you are .... be proud of it and represent well!

I'm Straight, married over 20 years with 2 boys... I'll probably be there too!

http://www.okctalk.com/images/misc/progress.gif

okcpulse
06-25-2009, 07:31 PM
This parade has been going on for years and you guys are getting into a semantic argument over gay pride???

Leave well enough alone and go enjoy the parade if you desire, gay or straight. Or, enjoy the rest of Oklahoma City that day, gay or straight. You all have a luxury I don't have, and that's living in OKC.

DaveSkater
06-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Straight, but not narrow! Let em march!

Doug Loudenback
06-25-2009, 08:24 PM

Good for you, Architect2010. Enjoy the day.

Caboose
06-25-2009, 09:35 PM
That's kind of what I was thinking. Their comments have nothing to do with the parade and are raising completely inane issues.

Whether homosexuals should have the same rights as other minorities: not relevant here.

Whether homosexuality is a choice: not relevant in the least.

The parade is these folks way of showing mutual support and being proud of who they are and the fact that they're living their lives on their own terms in spite of wholesale condemnation and discrimination.

What are you talking about? My comment had everything to do with the parade.

Caboose
06-25-2009, 09:38 PM

In my opinion sexuality is weird source of pride. That is ignorant? Why are you so bent out of shape about it? Why the intolerance?

Midtowner
06-25-2009, 09:50 PM
What are you talking about? My comment had everything to do with the parade.

I wasn't talking about your comment... at least I don't think I was..

Karried
06-25-2009, 09:58 PM
In my opinion sexuality is weird source of pride.

I don't get this. Weird source of pride? People can be proud of a lot of things..their marriage, kids, career, a car, wealth, success, or an attractive partner, anything.

Why wouldn't people want to be proud of who they are or who they choose to share their lives with?

Actually, a lot of straight people are proud of their sexual prowess .. walking into a room and having heads turn.. that's sex appeal.

Maybe it's not so obvious but really, nearly every ad on TV or in a magazine is geared toward sexuality .. every reference in almost every media outlet is focused on sexuality.

Sex sells.

And don't get me started on how much 'pride' is attributed to the perfect body and how so many people strive for this perfection.

Almost everything we do in this society is based on being sexually attractive. Why wouldn't people be proud of being sexy or sexual? It's what we've all been taught to believe.

I can see your point in that maybe it's strange to label a parade as a Gay Pride Parade, but realistically, I think it's a way to really say.. ' we would just like the same consideration and acceptance as every other person'.

Richard at Remax
06-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Sorry to get everyone bent out of shape about my comments. But as a religious person I don't agree with glbt crowd. Sorry. Know some great people who are, but don't agree with them. That's my beliefs and opinion. You don't have to like it. I just think its a copout to lable themselves minorites because of thier sexual preferences. But it sounds like a great event and hope it is successful.

Caboose
06-25-2009, 10:15 PM
I don't get this. Weird source of pride? People can be proud of a lot of things..their marriage, kids, career, a car, wealth, success, or an attractive partner, anything.

Why wouldn't people want to be proud of who they are or who they choose to share their lives with?

Actually, a lot of straight people are proud of their sexual prowess .. walking into a room and having heads turn.. that's sex appeal.

Maybe it's not so obvious but really, nearly every ad on TV or in a magazine is geared toward sexuality .. every reference in almost every media outlet is focused on sexuality.

Sex sells.

And don't get me started on how much 'pride' is attributed to the perfect body and how so many people strive for this perfection.

Almost everything we do in this society is based on being sexually attractive. Why wouldn't people be proud of being sexy or sexual? It's what we've all been taught to believe.

Look, all of the things you listed are things that are obtained or accomplished. Experiencing the feeling of being attracted to someone of the same sex isnt an accomplishment. Everyone wants to hump someone. It desn't take any effort.

The fact that one is gay (or straight) is a weird thing to be proud of.

"Man, Jim, you really love the cock. Good job, I am proud of you."
Sorry, thats just absurd.

I can see your point in that maybe it's strange to label a parade as a Gay Pride Parade, but realistically, I think it's a way to really say.. ' we would just like the same consideration and acceptance as every other person'.

Right, because every other person has parades to express their sexuality.

"We would like the same consideration and acceptance of every other person... so we are going to insist on focusing on how different we are and separating us from you"

The first post in this thread implies such, whether intended or not - "If you aren't a homophobe come out and support these minorities"

A - insisting that gays and lesbians are minorities, and therefore a separate part of society.
B - Implying that if you don't support them you are a homophobe.

Maybe if gays and lesbians would stop defining themselves as different and insisting that everyone acknowledge their "different" sexuality it would be easier for the "homophobes" to see them as normal. Homosexuals are just as responsible for the perceived dichotomy and the chasm between as anyone.

Platemaker
06-25-2009, 10:23 PM

No, but it is an affirmation... if the word was 'shame' (the opposite of pride) you wouldn't have the same objection would you?

PS - if by saying it's not an 'accomplishment'... then you are in fact saying it's not a 'choice'... thank you, at least for that acknowledgment.

I'm not ashamed.

see how retarded it is?

How retarded are you? That's my only comment to that.

I don't know about other gay people... but I was just sitting around one day and decided to consult my crystal ball... *sarcasm*

Notice how all of them have posted once only... the only logical answer to your question is: They had no other reason than to spread hate.

It's okay for them to have this pride parade, but it is not okay when some goes too far as being nude or wearing the insane outfit (which is basically near nude or exposed body parts). If they want respect from the people, then they must be appropriate.

Err... thank you? For your 'support' and 'approval'... I think??

I grew up in south Mississippi and Louisiana going to Mardi Gras... where people actually do get nude... Not as much in neighborhood parades as the Quarter, but I saw it as a kid.
I spent three childhood years living in Europe... I can't tell you all the body parts I saw!!!
Going back to the first post... the HOG rally. I think it is safe to say that this event is mostly straight... but you can't tell me that half of the leather garb is not in some way 'fetish wear.' Have you seen some of the ladies at these things!?!?!? I'm pretty sure a leather bustier is not meant to protect you in the event of a terrible crash!

That nearly made me piss myself...

Oh, Karrie, you know what I mean. Certain people at these kind of pride, they wear sexual outfits. I can't think of the name for those kind of props.

It's just that there will be children there and these people don't have these children in mind to be respectful.

"Think of the children!!!" I'm so sick of that argument... adults are the one's with issues. Children are soooo adaptable... they are built that way.

"Don't look at those boobies Little Johnny! Go play one of your ultra-violent video games like a good boy instead!"

Interesting comments, sometimes things just happen. Do individuals choose Downs Syndrome, Alzheimer's or Diabetes? H-m-m-m-m-m today is Thursday I think I will choose door number three. OMGOSH it's cancer, yea for me. Let's not judge others until you walk in their shoes. An I don't understand would be a more appropriate answer.

I totally totally get what you're saying... but c'mon... CANCER!?!?! Let's not equate homosexuality with something you're not born with... but rather you develop over time or exposure to something. LOL

Don't sweat it... they are nothing...
PS call me!!! We can wear totally inappropriate sex gear in public sometime plus I wanna show you my new t-shirt unabashedly advertising how many times I've been homosexually intimate! TTYL GIRL!!!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/Platemaker_photos/pride_parade.jpghttp://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/Platemaker_photos/OKCPRIDE2009.jpg

Karried
06-25-2009, 10:27 PM
A Pride parade is a a way to celebrate and express, that even though people who are intolerant and judgemental would really like to make homosexuals feel ashamed or guilty for the way they are, that they can be proud of themselves for the people they are, in spite of the judgements and labels.

Caboose
06-25-2009, 10:28 PM
No, but it is an affirmation... if the word was 'shame' (the opposite of pride) you wouldn't have the same objection would you?

I would find it equally weird to have a gay shame parade as it is to have a gay pride parade. Actually the shame parade would be a bit more weird. And I object to you characterizing my post as an "objection". I just think it is weird.

PS - if by saying it's not an 'accomplishment'... then you are in fact saying it's not a 'choice'... thank you, at least for that acknowledgment.

I have never said anything to the contrary. Sorry to steal your thunder.

Platemaker
06-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Sure you did! You said it wasn't an accomplishment as if pride was only something that could be felt if you actively accomplished something to earn that pride.

Caboose
06-25-2009, 10:37 PM
Sure you did! You said it wasn't an accomplishment as if pride was only something that could be felt if you actively accomplished something to earn that pride.

I sure did what?
Maybe you misunderstood my reply. I meant i never said anything to the contrary of the statement that homosexuality isn't a choice.
So me saying it isn't an accomplishment isn't some kind of back door acknowledgment that its not a choice. I have argued fiercely on this very board that it is clearly not a choice.

I suspect you are jumping to conclusions about what I "must think", as is par for this board.

And yes, I find it weird and usually quite off putting when people are prideful of things they have no control over.

MadMonk
06-25-2009, 10:49 PM
With all due respect, it seems to me that these parades do nothing but provide people a reason to poke fun at gays. They're touted as promoting tolerance, but it does the opposite. The "look at me, I'm special" nature to these parades reinforces differences rather than similarities. I think you'd be doing yourselves a far better service by just living your life in quiet, respectable humility like anyone else.

Platemaker
06-25-2009, 10:52 PM
You're right I did misread your reply.

I don't make a habit of jumping to conclusions on what people think... which is why I clicked your name and am reading other posts of yours.

(Which, interestingly enough, has made me completely bored with this thread! I'm loving your input in the Jesus thread... LOL.)

I just think that using the term 'weird' is on such a topic (especially in only the second post) is off putting.

I just don't see how immediately throwing in such a controversial statement right off the bat serves any purpose but to be antagonistic.

Caboose
06-25-2009, 10:54 PM
And while we are on the topic, I find it incredibly annoying that I can tell whether or not some people are gay by looking at them or by having a 2 minute conversation with them.

Before you jump to conclusions are start with "homophobe" BS, hear me out.

I could give a crap if someone is gay or not, I am just puzzled as to why it should be readily apparent. You cant tell from looking at me or talking to me that I like to bone women, especially brown women. So why can you tell so often for gays?

OK, so you are a dude and you like other dudes... so does that mean you have to talk with a lisp, wear chaps with your ass hanging out, and walk like a fairy? (Trying to inject a little humor here). Can someone explain this phenomenon to me?

Caboose
06-25-2009, 10:56 PM
You're right I did misread your reply.

I don't make a habit of jumping to conclusions on what people think... which is why I clicked your name and am reading other posts of yours.

(Which, interestingly enough, has made me completely bored with this thread! I'm loving your input in the Jesus thread... LOL.)

I just think that using the term 'weird' is on such a topic (especially in only the second post) is off putting.

I just don't see how immediately throwing in such a controversial statement right off the bat serves any purpose but to be antagonistic.

I can see that, but some would argue that the parade itself serves no purpose but to be antagonistic. Why can't they just enjoy their sexuality in privacy like everyone else does? Again, it is nothing to be ashamed of... just serves no purpose to broadcast it.

Platemaker
06-25-2009, 11:04 PM
With all due respect, it seems to me that these parades do nothing but provide people a reason to poke fun at gays. They're touted as promoting tolerance, but it does the opposite. The "look at me, I'm special" nature to these parades reinforces differences rather than similarities. I think you'd be doing yourselves a far better service by just living your life in quiet, respectable humility like anyone else.

I guess I can see your point, but living in quiet doesn't get any group anywhere. If we are invisible then we don't exist. If we don't exist we don't need or deserve rights.

I hate to use blacks as an example because I fear someone here will use that against me *sigh*, but...

If blacks just sat back and were quiet where whites just gonna look around one day and say.... ya know what we should treat them nicer.

Pride is one of the only times gays and friends of gays can gather in public and feel remotely safe and out at the same time. There is safety in numbers. And frankly, I need at least one day a year I can relax and not have to worry about changing pronouns for fear of god knows what!

nighttrain12
06-25-2009, 11:05 PM
I saw this advertised in the Gazette but it only called it a Pride parade, not a GLBT Pride parade. Are the organizers afraid of the reaction to the parade by hiding its true meaning?

soonerguru
06-25-2009, 11:07 PM
I think you'd be doing yourselves a far better service by just living your life in quiet, respectable humility like anyone else.

Oh that is rich. And delusional. Do you honestly believe the gay-baiting haters that populate Oklahoma's legislature and megachurches live their lives in "quiet humility?"

That is a total joke. We're talking about a crowd who equates gay people with Osama Bin Laden (not saying you share this opinion).

Then you have the "if gays get married it will destroy my sanctimoniously sanctified marriage" crowd. Well guess what, the moralizing "sanctity of marriage" crowd is doing a fine job destroying their own marriages without any effect or input from gays. Let's book a flight to Argentina and investigate further.

This is fear based.

One of the canards I hear is, "Let them live in peace, but don't waive it in front of me."

Why? Should gays remain in hiding?

In my mind, the objection to glbt rights has to do with this fear that people's kids will "be recruited to be gay" if it's out in the open. I guess the inverse is people would rather their gay kids live in secret shame and hiding.

Oddly, the chances that your kids will be gay are remarkably slim anyway, and will not be affected by out and proud gay people having a parade.

I will be taking my eight year old daughter to the parade, whom I'm sure is not lesbian, and, even if she were, I would love her just the same.

Platemaker
06-25-2009, 11:11 PM
Caboose - my response to you would be more or less my reply to MadMonk. The only thing I'd have to add is that sexual expression is not just something that humans enjoy in only privacy. Straight people can kiss and hold hands in public. Gay people?? Hardly even the bravest! Gay people aren't fornicating on the parade route... they are just being themselves in the open. The small types of sexual expression are the one's that are the most painful to hold in constantly.

Caboose
06-25-2009, 11:14 PM
Caboose - my response to you would be more or less my reply to MadMonk. The only thing I'd have to add is that sexual expression is not just something that humans enjoy in only privacy. Straight people can kiss and hold hands in public. Gay people?? Hardly even the bravest! Gay people aren't fornicating on the parade route... they are just being themselves in the open. The small types of sexual expression are the one's that are the most painful to hold in constantly.

Sorry, that is complete BS.

Platemaker
06-25-2009, 11:14 PM
I saw this advertised in the Gazette but it only called it a Pride parade, not a GLBT Pride parade. Are the organizers afraid of the reaction to the parade by hiding its true meaning?

'Pride' has just become shorthand for 'Gay Pride.'

nighttrain12
06-25-2009, 11:15 PM
'Pride' has just become shorthand for 'Gay Pride.'

I think that is a cop-out. They are trying to fly below the radar with this parade.

Caboose
06-25-2009, 11:16 PM
Oh that is rich. And delusional. Do you honestly believe the gay-baiting haters that populate Oklahoma's legislature and megachurches live their lives in "quiet humility?"

That is a total joke. We're talking about a crowd who equates gay people with Osama Bin Laden (not saying you share this opinion).

Then you have the "if gays get married it will destroy my sanctimoniously sanctified marriage" crowd. Well guess what, the moralizing "sanctity of marriage" crowd is doing a fine job destroying their own marriages without any effect or input from gays. Let's book a flight to Argentina and investigate further.

This is fear based.

One of the canards I hear is, "Let them live in peace, but don't waive it in front of me."

Why? Should gays remain in hiding?

In my mind, the objection to glbt rights has to do with this fear that people's kids will "be recruited to be gay" if it's out in the open. I guess the inverse is people would rather their gay kids live in secret shame and hiding.

Oddly, the chances that your kids will be gay are remarkably slim anyway, and will not be affected by out and proud gay people having a parade.

I will be taking my eight year old daughter to the parade, whom I'm sure is not lesbian, and, even if she were, I would love her just the same.

Hyperbole much?

MadMonk
06-25-2009, 11:18 PM
I guess I can see your point, but living in quiet doesn't get any group anywhere. If we are invisible then we don't exist. If we don't exist we don't need or deserve rights.

I hate to use blacks as an example because I fear someone here will use that against me *sigh*, but...

If blacks just sat back and were quiet where whites just gonna look around one day and say.... ya know what we should treat them nicer.

Pride is one of the only times gays and friends of gays can gather in public and feel remotely safe and out at the same time. There is safety in numbers. And frankly, I need at least one day a year I can relax and not have to worry about changing pronouns for fear of god knows what!
I'm neither gay nor black so my experience with such things is limited, but I've never been associated with or hung around any group of people that, because someone is gay, they were going to intentionally cause them harm. They might not like them and avoid them socially, but for someone to truly be intending harm to someone because of that seems so foreign to me. I'm sure it happens from time to time, (similar to racially based attacks) but I'd be willing to bet that most people - even those who fervently disagree with the gay lifestyle - wouldn't dream of doing something like that. Then again perhaps I'm just living in a bubble of naïveté. :LolLolLol

Platemaker
06-25-2009, 11:19 PM
Sorry, that is complete BS.

Really!? Wow, I wanna live in that world! Just walk into a Thunder game holding my boyfriends hand.... RIGHT!

Platemaker
06-25-2009, 11:21 PM
I think that is a cop-out. They are trying to fly below the radar with this parade.

Please..... done with you.

Platemaker
06-25-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm neither gay nor black so my experience with such things is limited, but I've never been associated with or hung around any group of people that, because someone is gay, they were going to intentionally cause them harm. They might not like them and avoid them socially, but for someone to truly be intending harm to someone because of that seems so foreign to me. I'm sure it happens from time to time, (similar to racially based attacks) but I'd be willing to bet that most people - even those who fervently disagree with the gay lifestyle - wouldn't dream of doing something like that. Then again perhaps I'm just living in a bubble of naïveté. :LolLolLol

As a white person I can see your point... I don't see as much racism as I would if I had darker skin... but it does happen. As a gay person I have had experiences... only one almost violent one but I was bigger than him and he changed his mind LOL... but plenty of scary comments.

onthestrip
06-25-2009, 11:31 PM
In my opinion sexuality is weird source of pride. That is ignorant? Why are you so bent out of shape about it? Why the intolerance?

You are going to ask me "why the intolerance?"? Are you crazy? So when New York has its Puerto Rican Day Parade its not to show a source of pride? When there is a St Patricks day parade, its not for a source of pride? Its the same for GLBT. Why are you so against them celebrating themselves, just like a Puerto Rican would during the Puerto Rican day parade. Dont go if you are so against it. You are the one to negatively comment on this topic, therefore you seem to be the one who is intolerant.

MadMonk
06-25-2009, 11:35 PM
So when New York has its Puerto Rican Day Parade its not to show a source of pride? When there is a St Patricks day parade, its not for a source of pride? Its the same for GLBT. Why are you so against them celebrating themselves, just like a Puerto Rican would during the Puerto Rican day parade. Dont go if you are so against it. You are the one to negatively comment on this topic, therefore you seem to be the one who is intolerant.
Then again, imagine the uproar over a "anglo pride" parade! But that's for another thread. :wink:

Platemaker
06-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Then again, imagine the uproar over a "anglo pride" parade! But that's for another thread. :wink:

LOL I'm staying out of that one!!!

Caboose
06-25-2009, 11:42 PM
You are going to ask me "why the intolerance?"? Are you crazy? So when New York has its Puerto Rican Day Parade its not to show a source of pride? When there is a St Patricks day parade, its not for a source of pride? Its the same for GLBT. Why are you so against them celebrating themselves, just like a Puerto Rican would during the Puerto Rican day parade. Dont go if you are so against it. You are the one to negatively comment on this topic, therefore you seem to be the one who is intolerant.

I am intolerant? Listen to you, you sound like you are blowing a gasket.
I think pride in things you have no control over is weird, whether its being gay or Puerto Rican. That doesnt mean I think you should be ashamed of it. Why the insistence on making sure battle lines are drawn?

If I moved in next door to you couldnt you just be my neighbor? Or would you insist on being my gay neighbor? Why must you define yourself by your sexuality and create such a polarizing atmosphere?

soonerguru
06-25-2009, 11:46 PM

Not saying you're living in a bubble of naivete, as that would mighty presumptuous on my part, but the FBI recently reported a spike in violence against gays in the US. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen frequently.

It's amazing to me how easily people can compartmentalize themselves into their own world, completely oblivious to the needs and concerns of others. Not out of hate -- or even indifference -- just self absorption? Insularity?

soonerguru
06-25-2009, 11:53 PM
Hyperbole much?

Where's the hyperbole?

You just tossed off a junior-high quality treatise on the need for gays to be quiet and humble and go about their lives. How is that not "hiding?"

What you suggest is a parade, designed to provide self affirmation and peaceably demonstrate for civil rights, is an affront because it is a public display.

You appear to lack basic empathy for the situation of others, as you can see no reason for people to seek this public and personal affirmation.

Many of the posts on this thread confirm the need for such a parade.

Platemaker
06-25-2009, 11:59 PM
worthy cook... I know you removed your post... it's cool... but religious geologist! I'm fascinated!