View Full Version : Child Support

Thunder
06-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Okay, I have this very odd situation that occured recently.

First, I want to say that I'm 24 (will be 25 in Oct) and bro just turned 22.

Our dad didn't pay child support and always found a way to avoid paying.

Several days ago, mom received in the mail, an Oklahoma Debit Card (Mastercard) with instruction on activating and setting PIN.

We had no clue what this was. At first, we thought it was just a spam mail.

Today, she got a letter and it seems to be coming from DHS.

The letter mentioned that a new card will be arriving (already did) and the child support payment.

With that letter, I went ahead to help her activating the card and withdrawing $250 at an ATM for free. She put $200 into her bank account.

Now, mom just left me a message that her parents think it is fraud. She's worried to death now, because personal info was given to the recording to activate the card.

So, is this strange for child support payments to suddenly start flowing in? We're both way over 18 already. Is this a new common practice by DHS?

Midtowner
06-24-2009, 06:07 PM
She needs to call DHS Child Support Enforcement at 1-800-522-2922 to see what's going on.

possumfritter
06-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Thunder,

That's the method OKDHS uses.

See kfm563's comments under Child Support Survey...Oklahoma Residents.

Also, to put your mind at ease, you can call CSED at 522-0022 or 522-3001.

Thunder
06-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Okay, I'll have her to call those numbers.

possumfritter
06-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Thunder,

What did you and/or your Mother find out?

Thunder
06-25-2009, 12:08 PM
It turns out to be a one time payment at this time. Dad is on SSI and the $250 he was going to get....went to mom. That's the only way he will be forced to pay (slowly) by losing free money from the government.

possumfritter
06-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Thunder,

If you don't mind my asking (because I am intereted in everything to do with Child Support and Child Custody in Oklahoma County)...Did your Mom ever contact DHS/CSED in the past concerning Child Support?

If CSED is just catching up with him, Lord I hate to think of the interest on his account.

If there is an arrearage, which I have no doubt there is, based on what you said in your initial post, I would think your Mom would start getting monthly payments (via the debit card). Don't lose that card!! LOL!

I had a friend that was on SSI and since his child was under 18, the payments she received each month were deducted from his court ordered CS.

Thunder
06-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Well, she let it go, because it wasn't gonna happen to get anything out of him all those years ago.

According to some sort of Oklahoma law, they don't take from people on low income.

Dad is on SSI and isn't getting enough to be able to pay CS. He gets money from DHS, but the agency don't take it away from him, since it is for government welfare assistance to live.

One thing that shocked us was how low he owes mom. Okay, so mom has 2 children, factor in the payments for all those years and dad only owe just over $1,000 with about $500 interest? I dunno what is wrong with that. I expected the total to be over $20,000.

possumfritter
06-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks Thunder...I have a hundred questions, but I am gonna let it go.

Thunder
06-25-2009, 08:13 PM
We all have tons of questions. :LolLolLol

You can ask on here or privately.

possumfritter
06-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Thunder,

I can just imagine the questions you, your brother and your mother might have.

How old were you and your brother when your parents divorced?

Was it in Oklahoma County? And if so, was Judge Barbara Swinton involved?

Thanks

pf

Thunder
06-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Mom and dad got married in '83. I was born in '84 and bro was born in '87. Mom and dad got divorced in '91. Oklahoma County. I dunno who the judge was.

possumfritter
06-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Thanks for answering my questions Thunder. I'd have to go back and check a few things...but I think childsupport really made a big change in Oklahoma sometime in the early or mid 90's. Doug Loudenback could probably shed more light on that.

For what' it's worth...my mom didn't get child support either. That was back in the 50's and 60's. Then, after my step-dad passed away (5 days before he was supposed to retire from the Navy), she took the insurance money, bought a 66 red Mustang convertible, a bamboo bar, stocked it with gin and tonic, stocked the fridge with Hamm's and Olympia beer, bought a bunch of Nat King Cole, Johnny Mathis, and Ray Coniff records, and stayed drunk for the rest of her life.

Life goes on...