View Full Version : Ggggggggoooooooooaaaaaaallllllllll!!!!!!!!!!

Centerback
06-24-2009, 03:04 PM
United States beats Spain 2-0

http://newsok.com/united-states-beats-spain-2-0/article/3380317?custom_click=headlines_widget

What a great game! Terrible shame about Bradley's straight red late though.

kmf563
06-24-2009, 03:48 PM
yeah! Whooooooo!!!!!!!

I hate that they are already getting ugly press. I hope they smash the finals.

westsidesooner
06-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Beating Brazil Sunday will be tough. It will be televised wont it?

nik4411
06-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Yea it will....that was a terrible call on Bradley, in no way did that deserve red.
I am proud of the U.S. for the win, beating the number 1 team in the world 2-0.

Lord Helmet
06-25-2009, 07:54 AM
Bradley's red was completely undeserved. Shoulda been a yellow. It's also really crappy since it was so late in the match.

I wish Landon Donovan would put that kind of effort into every match. He was everywhere yesterday...and Tim Howard...good lord. So many great saves. The back four was also solid...I felt like we were getting shelled for nearly 2/3 of the match, yet we never let one in. Feels great to be a (proper) football fan today!

silvergrove
06-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Brazil looms scarily. :/

fromdust
06-28-2009, 01:08 PM
so far so good against brazil. 2-0.

fromdust
06-28-2009, 02:25 PM
nice try by the us but in the end brazil was too much. final brazil 3, us 2.

dalelakin
06-28-2009, 04:35 PM
So close and honestly it should have been 4-2 US got a gift on the goal that was not called at about the 62 minute I think it was. Still a great showing for the US we can in fact hang with the worlds best and bodes well going into the World Cup. U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A

westsidesooner
06-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Boy oh boy the first half was exciting though wasn't it. Brazil (and the US) looked like different teams when they came back out after halftime. So many open shots for Brazil.....ouch. And yeah, it should have been 4-2. The Brazilian fans horns got old after awhile....

I was really disappointed Sunday morning that the Oklahoman had absolutely nothing in the paper about the game other than the tv listing. There were stories about Adrian, Mixed martial arts, several non time sensitve stories about baseball players, and duck stamps. You'd think they could have found room. With all the youth soccer leagues and tournaments you'd think it'd be a no-brainer.

Im still happy they played as well as they did.....much improvement!!!

Lord Helmet
06-30-2009, 12:21 AM
I was really disappointed Sunday morning that the Oklahoman had absolutely nothing in the paper about the game other than the tv listing.

there's hardly ever any decent soccer coverage in the daily ok. sucks.

Centerback
06-30-2009, 11:38 AM
There was an AP story in the Monday sports section of the DOK. Face it, you're not going to get good soccer coverage anywhere in Oklahoma, just ask Traber.

dalelakin
07-19-2009, 08:29 AM
US beats Panama 2-1, advances in Gold Cup!!

US beats Panama 2-1, advances in Gold Cup - World Soccer - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=ApqbUssdhV0OihPv2MrhA9Imw7YF?slug=ap-goldcup-panama-us&prov=ap&type=lgns)

In Sunday’s quarterfinal doubleheader, Guadeloupe meets Costa Rica and Mexico faces Haiti in the first FOOTBALL event at the Dallas Cowboys new stadium at Arlington, Texas. The semifinals are Thursday in Chicago.

Can you imagine how the Texass boys would have taken it if they had billed the event as football.:doh:

Lord Helmet
07-20-2009, 11:13 AM
US beats Panama 2-1, advances in Gold Cup!!

US beats Panama 2-1, advances in Gold Cup - World Soccer - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=ApqbUssdhV0OihPv2MrhA9Imw7YF?slug=ap-goldcup-panama-us&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Can you imagine how the Texass boys would have taken it if they had billed the event as football.:doh:

lol no kidding.

I think we're gonna get to the final, but this team full of b and c level players might have a hard time in the final, especially if Mexico gets there (I expect they will). Panama is a side that we should drub 5-0, especially at home.

SoonerBent
07-20-2009, 12:40 PM
I don't mean to hijack the thread or change the subject but this is obviously a bunch of soccer fans. So, I love sports. Most all sports. I have really tried to get into soccer. Really, I have. But on TV it's more boring than baseball or golf, both of which I am a major fan of and can deal with how slow the game seems on TV. What am I missing/doing wrong with soccer?

Centerback
07-20-2009, 02:36 PM
I don't mean to hijack the thread or change the subject but this is obviously a bunch of soccer fans. So, I love sports. Most all sports. I have really tried to get into soccer. Really, I have. But on TV it's more boring than baseball or golf, both of which I am a major fan of and can deal with how slow the game seems on TV. What am I missing/doing wrong with soccer?

You aren't doing anything wrong, you simply haven't played or haven't watched your child play the beautiful game at a competitive level. It's not for everyone (read Americans), that's fine...just move along and watch sports you enjoy.

In reality, if you're a major fan of Baseball, you will never be a fan of Soccer, there aren't nearly as many potty breaks. You either get it or you don't, play on...

Lord Helmet
07-20-2009, 03:09 PM

I think a lot of the time its just a lack of knowledge of how the game is played, as well as a lack of personal experience as to how difficult it really is. I've also found that until you've seen a professional match in person, you don't really get the full experience.

More than any other sport soccer is a game of chances...not scoring. Often there are a ton of close calls, with only one of them resulting in points scored. A lot of people just can't get their head around that.

I love most sports too, American football, basketball, golf...but baseball I can't stand. Especially on television. I can stomach a game in person, but lord, on television its puts me right to sleep.

westsidesooner
08-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Is todays match against Mexico on tv???

The Oklahoman lists it as coming on channel 5 at noon, and the tv guide lists it as being on channel 7 at 2. Espn lists the game as starting at 3. Which is it? After reading how terrible the mexican fans were in 2005 (chanting "osama osama") I reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaalllly want to kick their ass. :fighting2

USA out to 'change history' in Mexico City - USATODAY.com (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/2009-08-10-usa-mexico-preview_N.htm)

westsidesooner
08-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Rats. Mexico-2 USA-1

The USA had its first ever lead in Azteca stadium but couldnt hold on for the win. Lotta cheap shots on the field today. Next game Sept 5th vs El Salvador in Utah. I hate waiting that long. grrrrrrr.

Remaining schedule:

Sep. 5, 2009 U.S. Men vs. El Salvador 6 p.m. MT Rio Tinto Stadium Sandy, Utah ESPN Classic, Galavision
Sep. 9, 2009 U.S. Men vs. Trinidad and Tobago 7 p.m. ET Hasley Crawford Stadium Port of Spain, Trinidad ESPN Classic and Galavision
Oct. 10, 2009 U.S. Men vs. Honduras TBD
Oct. 14, 2009 U.S. Men vs. Costa Rica TBD RFK Stadium Washington, D.C. ESPN2 and Galavision

CCOKC
08-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Soccer (and Nascar) are about the only sports that I don't follow. Can you tell me what this means as far as the USA's standing in World Cup? I did hear earlier today that this was a must win for Mexico but I just don't quite understand how all of this World Cup qualifying works. Thanks.

phinzup
08-12-2009, 07:15 PM
That was the WORST officiated soccer game I have ever seen. The ref was from Panama.....Guess the 100,000 Mexican fans intimidated him.

nik4411
08-13-2009, 07:38 AM
I must agree the officiating was terrible. So many fouls that weren't called.

Lord Helmet
08-13-2009, 09:41 AM
That was the WORST officiated soccer game I have ever seen. The ref was from Panama.....Guess the 100,000 Mexican fans intimidated him.

Either the ref was paid off, or he felt his life was in danger. I swear Mexico has the least class in the entire sport. They play so dirty, especially down there. The Mexican FA should be ashamed of themselves.

That said, with our bunker and counter style we just weren't getting enough possession of the ball.

I really don't think that Brian Ching should have started. It was nice to see a young guy like Stuart Holden come in and play well. I really thought that we were gonna get a second goal on that great cross from him to Davies (he JUST missed it!).

swh113
08-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Soccer (and Nascar) are about the only sports that I don't follow. Can you tell me what this means as far as the USA's standing in World Cup? I did hear earlier today that this was a must win for Mexico but I just don't quite understand how all of this World Cup qualifying works. Thanks.

This is the final round of qualifying for our region (CONCACAF). 6 teams remain. Home and home matches for each team. Top 3 teams automatically qualify. 4th place team has a one-game playoff against the 5th place team from South America--the winner of that game also qualifies.

The standings right now:

Team GP W L T GF GA GD Pts.
CRC 6 4 2 0 9 9 0 12
HON 6 3 2 1 10 6 +4 10
USA 6 3 2 1 11 8 +3 10
MEX 6 3 3 0 7 8 -1 9
SLV 6 1 3 2 6 8 -2 5
TRI 6 1 3 2 6 10 -4 5