View Full Version : Arena funding woes

so1rfan
06-23-2009, 09:40 PM
Economy eats into funds for Thunder arena project - NBA - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AkA9_VkMrKsoN.Kkfj1SPkrTjdIF?slug=ap-thunderarena-economy&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Did I miss the discussion on this? I didn't see it anywhere.

Pete
06-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Sales tax collections are down due to the economy but that might also translate into lower construction costs.

Hopefully that will at least partially offset any shortfall.

LakeEffect
06-24-2009, 06:17 AM
Sales tax collections are down due to the economy but that might also translate into lower construction costs.

Hopefully that will at least partially offset any shortfall.

Agreed, and this is only for the first portion of the tax. If the economy picks up in a few months, sales tax should trend back up and recover what's missing right now. I think the consultants are looking for things that could go in later phases than working on the current construction. Later phases include the team offices and value-added things like the practice gym.

Steve
06-24-2009, 06:23 AM
This is what use taxes are for

LakeEffect
06-24-2009, 06:31 AM
This is what use taxes are for

Oooh, good point.

okcpulse
06-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Oh boy I bet the Seattlites are just eating this one alive with a side of fries. Too bad the poor souls don't understand how the Oklahoma tax system works. Heck, they thought Chesapeake was a utility company instead of natural gas exploration.

Oh well, in the end, it will work itself out. Always does.

Doug Loudenback
06-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Ditto what you said, OkcPulse.

Saberman
06-24-2009, 11:15 AM
Yea, and they also thought Chesapeake and McClendon were in financial trouble. It's clear they know nothing of the ups and downs of the oil and gas business.

BDP
06-24-2009, 02:32 PM
It's clear they know nothing of the ups and downs of the oil and gas business.

Sometimes I wish I didn't either. : )

And if it comes down to it, I would rather them leave out some stuff than skimp on the finishing along the way. I'd rather have something more modest in scale, but nice, than something that just looks like a cheap massive compromise.

so1rfan
06-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Oh boy I bet the Seattlites are just eating this one alive with a side of fries. Too bad the poor souls don't understand how the Oklahoma tax system works. Heck, they thought Chesapeake was a utility company instead of natural gas exploration.

Oh well, in the end, it will work itself out. Always does.

Did you read the comments at the bottom? Same old BS.

kevinpate
06-25-2009, 04:59 AM
What's sad to me, if I heard the blurb correctly the other night, the decisions to skimp are already in place. If you use a lesser quality flooring, it's not like they can tear it up in 5 months and then put down the good stuff.

Count me in the do less but do it well camp rather than the do everything but cut the corner since collections are off.

LakeEffect
06-25-2009, 05:36 AM
What's sad to me, if I heard the blurb correctly the other night, the decisions to skimp are already in place. If you use a lesser quality flooring, it's not like they can tear it up in 5 months and then put down the good stuff.

Count me in the do less but do it well camp rather than the do everything but cut the corner since collections are off.

Skimping has mainly been in the suites and high-end areas... and by skimping, it really means going from high-dollar to slightly less than high-dollar.