View Full Version : OKC Tea Party, July 4th, 10 am to 12 am, State Capitol steps

Pages : [1] 2

Al Gerhart
06-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Hi all,

I hope this doesn't qualify as Spam but we need to get the word out on this event.

There is a tea party being organized for the Fourth of July at the State Capitol. Completely non partisan, many of us think that both parties got us into this mess. The goal is to show the government and the media that ordinary folks are fed up with the defict spending and the bailouts.

The event is just now being organized, we have the permit, but volunteers are needed to help organize and we have a list of items needed for the event. We also need as many people as possible to spread the word to friends and family or post on as many forums as possible.

We have a website, Sooner Tea Party (http://www.soonerteaparty.org/) and the next meeting is tomorrow night at 6 pm in Moore.

and if you can help out, please contact me al"at"thecarpentershop.net (remove the "at" and replace with the @ sign, darned spam bots)

Thanks,

Al Gerhart

ronronnie1
06-24-2009, 05:59 AM
I think I'll pass lol.

ronronnie1
06-24-2009, 06:01 AM
I have to wash my hair, so I'm gonna have to pass on this. Sorry.

Thunder
06-24-2009, 09:31 AM
OKC Tea Party, July 4th, 10 am to 12 am, State Capitol steps

10am till 12am?

That's 14 hours! :omg:

DaveSkater
06-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Awesome! That's a saturday and holiday, so I think I'll bring my kids along just for a history lesson.

I'm so glad you made two flippant posts on this ronnieron. We're all impressed.

oneforone
06-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Calling All Sophmores! Calling All Sophmores! let the stupid Teabagging comments begin.

Midtowner
06-24-2009, 04:24 PM
I won't be going. I do think it's great that people are getting involved in advocating their beliefs. Hopefully this leads them to better their political awareness.

There's no reason to make fun on these folks. Will there be some racists there? You betcha.. these events will attract some loons. That said, the vast majority of the folks attending these events are people who are just looking at a way to meaningfully express their political beliefs and participate in letting the government know that it's letting them down.

Those who mock this group as a whole by calling them all racists, bigots, etc., are just expressing their own bigotry and fear. That's fine with me though. I hope the weather is great and that everyone stays safe.

vonhismean
06-24-2009, 07:35 PM
I so can't wait for the tea party.

kevinpate
06-24-2009, 07:43 PM
Calling All Sophmores! Calling All Sophmores! let the stupid Teabagging comments begin.

oh, awright, if you're gonna insist.

What's the name for a severely overweight teabagger? Lipton

What's the name for a mature tea bagger. Earl Gray

What's the name for a naturalist tea bagger Sunshine Brew

dismayed
06-25-2009, 07:53 PM
What's the name for a mature tea bagger. Earl Gray

:LolLolLol :LolLolLol :LolLolLol :LolLolLol

BDP
06-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Metro... allow me:

Politics - OKCTalk (http://www.okctalk.com/politics/)

Bostonfan
06-27-2009, 06:05 AM
Hey, if you want to waste your time in 100 degree heat, go right ahead.... Have fun tea baggers....

Thunder
06-27-2009, 06:06 AM
Hey, if you want to waste your time in 100 degree heat, go right ahead.... Have fun tea baggers....

Note, we do not know the temperature for July 4th. :LolLolLol

Luke
06-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Are all outdoor celebrations today in 100 degree heat wastes of time?

Lord Helmet
06-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Shouldn't this thread be in the Politics forum??

possumfritter
06-27-2009, 11:50 AM
You're not gonna be dumping tea into the Oklahoma River are ya mate?

SavageDigital
06-27-2009, 02:10 PM
Hi all,

I hope this doesn't qualify as Spam but we need to get the word out on this event.

I'm not sure "need" is the applicable term that transforms you joining here to further your ideological aims to something other than what you know it is - spam. It's just important spam to you...

There's no reason to make fun on these folks...Those who mock this group as a whole by calling them all racists, bigots, etc., are just expressing their own bigotry and fear.

Well that's one viewpoint. Another might be that they'd like to express how attention seeking racists and bigots who liken themselves to the original authors of our constitution - just might be letting the rest of the Americans down. So if that's who shows up at the rally, then there might indeed be a reason to have some fun at their expense.

Midtowner
06-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Well that's one viewpoint. Another might be that they'd like to express how attention seeking racists and bigots who liken themselves to the original authors of our constitution - just might be letting the rest of the Americans down. So if that's who shows up at the rally, then there might indeed be a reason to have some fun at their expense.

Admittedly, some of the signs at these rallies are racist as can be. No one can really do much about those folks showing up to this. If they think they're at a white supremacist rally, then they're at the wrong place. I listened a bit last time to the words being spoken by the folks who organized the OKC event. Nothing racist was said, nothing hateful, just a bunch of legitimate political speech, much which I disagreed with.

But no, thinking that Obama and his cohorts are bad for America is not hateful or bigoted. Is that what you're suggesting?

SavageDigital
06-27-2009, 02:39 PM
But no, thinking that Obama and his cohorts are bad for America is not hateful or bigoted. Is that what you're suggesting?

Where did I mention anything that might get you to that question? But since you did ask - no it's not bigoted on its face. Of course if your suggestion comes from a bigoted belief, then it might be. But unless you're holding a sign suggesting the origin of your motivation, we'll never know.

Now from my perspective, at best these people are at least a year and a half late with their rally dates.

Midtowner
06-27-2009, 02:46 PM
But unless you're holding a sign suggesting the origin of your motivation, we'll never know.

Well alrighty then, so your problem with these events is what?

Now from my perspective, at best these people are at least a year and a half late with their rally dates.

Not everything is about the Presidential election or even what happens in D.C. State and local happenings are important too. I think this group could have a pretty substantial effect on this Fall's election for state offices. Getting grassroots support is (for example) Randy Brogdon's only real chance of being a legitimate candidate for anything.

Caboose
06-27-2009, 02:47 PM
I won't be going. I do think it's great that people are getting involved in advocating their beliefs. Hopefully this leads them to better their political awareness.

There's no reason to make fun on these folks. Will there be some racists there? You betcha.. these events will attract some loons. That said, the vast majority of the folks attending these events are people who are just looking at a way to meaningfully express their political beliefs and participate in letting the government know that it's letting them down.

Those who mock this group as a whole by calling them all racists, bigots, etc., are just expressing their own bigotry and fear. That's fine with me though. I hope the weather is great and that everyone stays safe.

WTF? Did someone ask that?

Midtowner
06-27-2009, 03:02 PM
WTF? Did someone ask that?

Racists are types of bigots, so in a sense, yes. And yes, there have been some pretty racially provocative posters at these events.

vonhismean
06-27-2009, 03:18 PM
I don't think this has anything to do with racism. It has to do with being over taxed. If some racists show up who cares there getting over taxed to so oh well. But I guess some people like paying extra taxes.

soonerguru
06-27-2009, 09:13 PM
You know, our country has been running mad deficits since 2001. Suddenly the deficit is a problem? I'm sure this event, fully sanctioned by FOX News, is not at all partisan in nature.

Midtowner
06-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Why would you expect a political rally to be non-partisan?

soonerguru
06-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Why would you expect a political rally to be non-partisan?

Someone earlier in the thread said it was nonpartisan.

I find it sad the Pride parade thread was moved but this one is still here.

venture
06-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Someone earlier in the thread said it was nonpartisan.

I find it sad the Pride parade thread was moved but this one is still here.

Agreed. Mods really need to get on the same page on what threads are appropriate where and not exercise double standards. Of course that also means members need to be posting threads in the appropriate topic area. Pete and crew want to run a laid back and very open forum. The upside to this we get a lot of open and constructive discussion about our community and issues that impact us. Unfortunately this also means we have a few select trolls or "members" that are able to use the rules to their advantage and bash members and derail threads. Just the double standard we'll need to get use to.

Martin
06-27-2009, 10:54 PM
i find it sad the pride parade thread was moved but this one is still here.

the pride thread is currently in 'okc underground'... was it ever anyplace else? afaik, it hasn't moved.

-M

Thunder
06-27-2009, 10:56 PM
the pride thread is currently in 'okc underground'... was it ever anyplace else? afaik, it hasn't moved.

-M

I think it was in Announcements and Introductions.

Martin
06-27-2009, 11:14 PM
i think it was in announcements and introductions.

i don't know if the thread was ever actually located there. if it was moved, then i'd wager it was because that particular forum really isn't for discussing social events... it's designed to be a place for a new user to announce their arrival and introduce themselves to the site. if the mods (yeah, i speak of us in the third person) felt there was some question as to the topic, we probably would've moved it to the 'politics' forum.

you can put away your torches and pitchforks now. -M

venture
06-27-2009, 11:31 PM
So the policy is what exactly for event announcements in the city? I don't think there is any disagreement with the movement of the topic to a more appropriate area. I think the issue is that there is a significant disconnect in the policy and how it is being handled by the mods when it comes to a thread like this that is clearly political in nature, but yet remains here instead of being moved to Underground (if we want a central area for event announcements) or to Politics (where the content actually fits).

Outside of a completely inconsistent approach of the moderator team in managing the site, I don't think there is any problem. It is just a matter of deciding where you want us to post certain types of threads, and then all mods actually enforcing the same policy - not each one makes up their own as they see fit which is perhaps what is taking place. It would also explain why clear, concise, and straightforward answers seem to be like pulling teeth - because there is no set policy. It also would explain why the only "official" response seems to be "you can put away your torches and pitchforks now"...or in the way that I feel that part is going to be taking..."I have spoke, I had the admin graphic, and I'm going to do what I want and one of those things is totally ignore the point you are bringing up. Now move along and shut up."

Maybe I'm taking the tone wrong, I'm probably closer to being right in this case.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
06-28-2009, 12:00 AM

-M

Actually it was in the Metro Area Talk, and then it was promptly moved to Underground. I'm sure there were other witnesses to this, I'm not crazy.

Would it have still been moved if it was titled "GLBT Pride Parade Sunday June 28th"? That way its an event similar to how this is an announcement for an event. I'm hoping the answer would be no because otherwise I think there is a legitimate argument for double standards on post moving (or rather, no clearly defined rules, as venture stated).

Martin
06-28-2009, 06:30 AM
venture, if you want to further discuss the moderation of this site please send any of us a pm.

look guys, it just seems that some of you are wanting to go on the warpath and levy allegations before having your facts straight. i know i didn't move the thread and i don't think that anybody else did, either.

i especially don't think that the thread was moved from 'metro area talk' to 'underground'... given that it is an okc event (just like this thread), that's a perfectly reasonable place for it. as previously stated, the 'announcements & introductions' forum is pretty clearly intended for new users to post and say 'hi', so i can see why it would've been moved from there... but i'm not sure that actually happened here.

i find it difficult to take the accusation of a 'double standard' seriously when, the best i can tell, no action was even taken by the mods in this particular situation.

if any of you have further questions on the matter, do send a pm. now... back to topic. -M

Bostonfan
06-28-2009, 07:53 AM
You know, our country has been running mad deficits since 2001. Suddenly the deficit is a problem? I'm sure this event, fully sanctioned by FOX News, is not at all partisan in nature.

Exactly right. This is nothing more than a republican bitch fest. W is left a surplus and look how quickly that was gone. Yet only now do the tea baggers feel like there is a problem. Why?? It's very simple. Obama, BO, Osama, the antichrist, the terrorist, n-----, and/or whatever else name these clowns want to call the POTUS.

Now, these organizers obviously are not going to come out and say such a thing. But it is obvious. This is a republican outcry. Don't be fooled by the 4th of July timing. They love to throw in patriotism as a ploy. See, by doing this, those who disagree with them are now not patriotic, don't love the USA, and should leave the country ASAP.

Midtowner
06-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Exactly right. This is nothing more than a republican bitch fest. W is left a surplus and look how quickly that was gone. Yet only now do the tea baggers feel like there is a problem. Why?? It's very simple. Obama, BO, Osama, the antichrist, the terrorist, n-----, and/or whatever else name these clowns want to call the POTUS.

So for disagreeing with the POTUS, you are a racist neandrathal? Awesome. Got it.

Don't be fooled by the 4th of July timing. They love to throw in patriotism as a ploy.

And folks like you like to use guilt by association as a ploy.

Bostonfan
06-28-2009, 08:48 AM
So for disagreeing with the POTUS, you are a racist neandrathal? Awesome. Got it.

WTF you talking about?

And folks like you like to use guilt by association as a ploy.

Again, WTF you talking about??

You really think this show is non partisan?

venture
06-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Back on topic. If we were to take a poll of those attending and their party affiliation, I think it would be pretty clear which way the group swings. Now that isn't a bad thing. I do agree the far right tends to use patriotism way more than they should, just like the far left uses the working class and other groups. It is a public display of political expression that they don't agree with the bailout process the former and current Administrations have us in. Let them have their day in the spot light, we all have a right to that. I just hope that these folks are actually well educated on the issue and aren't just blowing hot air for nothing. I wonder if they know that about a third (last I heard) of the bank bailout funds have been repaid already?

SavageDigital
06-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Not everything is about the Presidential election or even what happens in D.C. State and local happenings are important too...

So these rallies have been happening for years then? Or did they just "happen" to coincide with Obama taking office? If not, perhaps there was a local political official who just came into office that demanded this action - who was that?

Again, WTF you talking about??

Midtowner is the one who stated that there would be bigots and racists holding provocative signs at the event. As for the non-partisan issue, I believe any intellectually honest person knows these Tea Party events are a republican construct...or are we to believe all of those sign holding haters to be angry democrats?

...levy allegations before having your facts straight. i know i didn't move the thread and i don't think that anybody else did, either.

Not that it has any relation to the original topic but come on - it doesn't take much effort to verify the GLBT thread was actually moved. The fact is, I have no mod abilities and I can see that it was moved. Events fighting for equal protection under the constitution and political/social justice probably do belong in the "underground".

Midtowner
06-28-2009, 11:47 AM

When in recent history has a political rally ever been non-partisan?

Midtowner
06-28-2009, 11:48 AM
So these rallies have been happening for years then? Or did they just "happen" to coincide with Obama taking office? If not, perhaps there was a local political official who just came into office that demanded this action - who was that?

You pose an impossible chicken vs. egg argument here.

Speculate all you want.

soonerguru
06-28-2009, 12:04 PM
For the record, the thread was on Metro Area Talk, the ONLY board I post on here. I guess MMM didn't move it, so another moderator must have.

venture
06-28-2009, 12:04 PM
You pose an impossible chicken vs. egg argument here.

Speculate all you want.

Mid is probably right to a point. The bailout stuff started under Bush and likely would have continued some form under McCain. We'll never know to watch extreme they would have gone or if these rallies would have still taken place. My guess is we would have seen SOME of these "tea parties", but not to the extent we see them today.

okcustu
06-28-2009, 02:06 PM
You're not gonna be dumping tea into the Oklahoma River are ya mate?

Now I'd be down for that.

okcustu
06-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Mid is probably right to a point. The bailout stuff started under Bush and likely would have continued some form under McCain. We'll never know to watch extreme they would have gone or if these rallies would have still taken place. My guess is we would have seen SOME of these "tea parties", but not to the extent we see them today.

I don't think any of them would've happened. I don't think Bush III would've proposed any large spending bills or a budget as large. And FOX News would'nt have OK'd it.

Bostonfan
06-28-2009, 04:46 PM
I heard it was cancelled. Is it true?? What is everyone going to do with all their Obama hate signs?

Sin Wagon
06-28-2009, 05:06 PM
I went to the last tea party at the steps and didn't see any remotely racist signs. And I hate that Fox is trying to co-opt this debate and start claiming this is a Republican movement--they are lessening the credibility of it because Republicans have none, they have betrayed conservatism. If the Republicans want theirs back, they need to throw the old bums out and elect true conservatives. They did not start these demonstrations, it was started by libertarians and those who believe the constitution is worth following. The predictions of libertarians and the Austrian school economists (that the economy and housing bubble would collapse) have held up. The currency is next to collapse. Ever read Atlas shrugged? Ayn Rand (and the Austrians before her) showed that a financial collapse would be blamed on the free market and lead to a downward spiral of intervention and corporate cronyism and reduction in liberties, exactly as has happened. I believe a lot of people are seeing this--and this is the basis for the tea party movement. Borrowing and inflating has never worked to get out of a recession--didn't work in the late 70's recession, in Japan in the 90's, and didn't work in the Great Depression, yet is popular in Washington, and Keynesian economics is their convenient and tragic justification for intervention.

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders, no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle." -Ludwig von Mises

kevinpate
06-28-2009, 05:22 PM
You can lead a tea bagger to the Okllahoma River, you can even get him to throw da tea bags in, but if you get him, or her, to drink it, then you .... really ought be ashamed of yourself. 8^)

soonerguru
06-28-2009, 06:17 PM
How does tea interact with e-coli bacteria? We might find out soon if they dump their tea bags in the river.

soonerguru
06-28-2009, 06:20 PM
My friend's dad, a self-professed tea-bagger, claims that Obama is secretly working with Chavez and Fidel Castro to create a Western communist triad. He also said Jews were behind 9-11. And, he believes that Obama's going to send armed thugs to take his guns away from him. Racist? Maybe a little. Loony? 100 percent.

Midtowner
06-28-2009, 06:41 PM
What is the relevance of that?

Easy180
06-28-2009, 08:36 PM
My friend's dad, a self-professed tea-bagger, claims that Obama is secretly working with Chavez and Fidel Castro to create a Western communist triad. He also said Jews were behind 9-11. And, he believes that Obama's going to send armed thugs to take his guns away from him. Racist? Maybe a little. Loony? 100 percent.

You are friends with the Inhofes? :dizzy:

julieriggs
06-29-2009, 02:32 PM
I thought the Tea Parties were originally inspired by Libertarian-leaning folk, and were then enthusiastically joined by a bunch of disgruntled Republicans. When someone calls the Tea Party bipartisan, they are referring to the fact that all of these people agree that higher taxation/higher government spending is a bad thing - even though they may all disagree on other political topics. I've never seen or heard anything racist or bigoted out of the Tea Party people.

Disagreeing with President Obama does not make one racist or bigoted.

Also, off topic, I had a BLAST with friends at the Gay Pride events on 39th on Friday evening. A wonderful time with a wonderfully kind crowd. If the OKCTALK board keeps posts about HOG events, 4th of July celebrations, and Tea Parties on the OKC Metro Area Talk board... they should keep the Gay Pride post here as well.

soonerguru
06-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Disagreeing with President Obama does not make one racist or bigoted.

True, but there has been an epic uptick in racist hate group recruitment since Obama took office, and many people, including some of the tea baggers, are frankly paranoid about the election. And not necessarily because of high government spending; if that were a problem, they would have been having a conniption fit about spending by the GOP and Bush the last eight years.

In addition to the new neo-Nazis, we have seen an uptick in right wingers actually shooting people they disagree with, like the people at that Unitarian church in Knoxville, the abortion clinic in Kansas, the security guard at the Holocaust Museum, etc. etc.

Don't try to act like this is all legitimate, civil disagreement, because that is a nice fantasy.

Some of these people are seriously unhinged -- and armed.

Luke
06-29-2009, 08:09 PM
True, but there has been an epic uptick in racist hate group recruitment since Obama took office...

Are you just eyeballin' it or is there a stat somewhere?

Midtowner
06-29-2009, 08:14 PM
I'd say correlation doesn't equal causation, but you haven't even established a correlation. Different people have done different things in response to different events and for different reasons.

Uttering the magical combination of words "right wing" doesn't magically tie them all together with a bow as you imply.

soonerguru
06-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Are you just eyeballin' it or is there a stat somewhere?

No. I don't patrol neo-nazi groups. I can't work that into my schedule.

It has been thoroughly reported by Newsweek, Time, AP and others going back to September.

Also, the FBI, whose job it is to track such groups, and Homeland Security, have made public statements about the increase in membership, online traffic, and, worst of all, threats made by these groups.

I seriously wish this weren't the case, but I can see how if you're racist the election of a black guy would make you feel a little crazy.

There were people selling racist stuff at the Tulsa State Fair during the election season, showing Obama in a noose, appearing as a monkey, etc.

Those of you who have lived their whole lives in Oklahoma know how prejudiced many people in our own state are. It's unfortunate.

Luke
06-29-2009, 08:31 PM
It has been thoroughly reported by Newsweek, Time, AP and others going back to September.

Links?

soonerguru
06-29-2009, 08:33 PM
I'd say correlation doesn't equal causation, but you haven't even established a correlation. Different people have done different things in response to different events and for different reasons.

Uttering the magical combination of words "right wing" doesn't magically tie them all together with a bow as you imply.

Who cares? I'm not trying to make a legal case or dissertation. I do have powers of perception, and through my job, I am constantly speaking to folks of all walks of life from throughout the state.

Many of them are watching Glenn Beck, and many of them are gun-toting bigots.

Tell me, if they're not "right wing" what, exactly, would you call them? They may not know much about the way the world works but they sure know they hate liberals. It's actually quite comical.

They're also deeply intellectually dishonest, and extremely bitter about the election. They're pissed about the bailouts but think we should let the bankers off the hook? They're pissed about deficits, but advocate cutting spending during a near Depression?

What the FU%&?

:bright_id

soonerguru
06-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Links?

Google is your friend. You will be inundated with links. I don't see why I should have to provide this to you when it's been widely reported for months on end.

Do you limit your news to FOX?

Luke
06-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Google is your friend. You will be inundated with links. I don't see why I should have to provide this to you when it's been widely reported for months on end.

Do you limit your news to FOX?

LOL

I don't even get Fox News.

I'm for freedom.

They're pissed about the bailouts but think we should let the bankers off the hook? They're pissed about deficits, but advocate cutting spending during a near Depression?

Are you purporting that the above reasons aren't valid reasons to be disturbed with the state of our government?