View Full Version : Construction at Wiley Post Airport

CCOKC
06-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Does anyone here know what all the dirt work at Wiley Post is? I was out there 2 weeks ago and didn't notice anything. I went back last week and there is major dirt work happening on the southeat corner (ie 50th and Rockwell). I seem to remember somebody here talking about economic stimulus dollars going out there but I couldn't find that information.

soonergooner1
06-23-2009, 02:54 AM
They have also been clearing many trees and regrading N /& W of 63rd n Rockwell. By there today and also am curious. They have done a large concrete culvert centrally of the now cleared 1 mi area...

LakeEffect
06-23-2009, 06:28 AM
I think they were going to do a runway expansion/resurfacing project. If you have the time, go to City of Oklahoma City's Meeting Management System (http://www.okc.gov/AgendaPub/meet.aspx) and look for the Airport Trust agenda. On each agenda they have a construction project update report. Usually quite interesting...

yukong
06-23-2009, 07:30 AM
They are also doing some major dirt work on the NE side of the airport property over by Rockwell, north of 63rd. I have been wondering about that work. It has been going on for several weeks.

westsidesooner
06-23-2009, 09:35 AM
I meant to ask a question about the old hanger that used to be near May and Britton. I'd heard that it was supposed to be rebuilt at Wiley Post airport.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/OK/WileyPost_OK_53_hangar.jpg

Could this be what they're doing?

CCOKC
07-21-2009, 08:24 PM
I am a member of the Nortwest Chamber of Commerce and on Friday, August 7th the airport director will have a breifing for chamber members on the plans for the airport. I am planning on being there and will report back on what I find out.

OKCTalker
07-22-2009, 08:30 AM
They completed an extension of Taxiway Bravo (near the NE/C of the threshold to RWY 17L), and are building hangars immediately east of the taxiway. This is a long-overdue project, as demand has existed for many years. The City of OKC Airport Trust controls Will Rogers, Wiley Post and Clarence Page (in Yukon) Airports, and they are very reticent to move quickly on anything at Wiley Post. Incidentally, for a private party to build his own hangar, they are only given a 20-year ground lease, at the end of which the land and improvements may revert back to the airport (good luck attracting private developers and lenders on a deal like that). Which is why the airport looks like hell, and nobody spends money for infrastructure. If the City doesn't take the lead, nothing gets done, and they frankly don't care about "little airplanes." Which is why the Guthrie-Edmond Regional Airport has become such a success in the past five years. (I've got skin in this game, and am very disappointed in city leadership.)

CCOKC: Please report back what you learn on August 7th.

warreng88
10-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Wiley Post Airport to add private hangars
BY JENNIFER PALMER
Published: October 20, 2009

A development project at Wiley Post Airport will provide new space to park corporate jets.

Construction crews are working to add electricity, plumbing and taxiways to 40 acres on the northeast side of the airport, at North Rockwell Avenue and West Wilshire Boulevard. The lots will be leased to people or businesses to build private hangars, airport manager Tim Whitman said.

The project will cost about $2.7 million and is expected to be done in January. Leasing rates have not yet been set.

Whitman said he’s already had jet owners express interest in the planned hangar space, which will be landscaped, gated and lighted.

"We just don’t have any vacancies right now, so there’s definitely a need,” he said.

Hangar spaces will vary in size, likely ranging from 10,000 square-feet for small aircraft to 40,000 square-feet for large corporate jets, Whitman said. Lessees will be asked to have hangar plans and specifications approved before building.

The lots will be equipped with utilities so the hangars can have heat, lighting, power doors, small offices or even a rest room with a shower.

Drawing new business
Whitman said the new project will be another feature to attract business owners to Wiley Post Airport. "Basing aircraft here brings new jobs into the city,” he said.
Mark Kranenburg, director of airports for Oklahoma City, said the new hangars will encourage commerce at Wiley Post Airport, which is designed to relieve Will Rogers World Airport of general aviation traffic.

Aviation businesses based at Wiley Post Airport can provide jet owners with aircraft parts, repairs, pilot training and other services.

"There is a lot to offer at Wiley Post Airport to anyone that has a hangar out there,” Kranenburg said.

NewsOK (http://newsok.com/wiley-post-airport-to-add-private-hangars/article/3410506?custom_click=lead_story_title)

CCOKC
10-20-2009, 09:32 PM
I forgot to post back what I learned at the August 7th meeting. Well, that article covered what the construction was all about. I wish I had written everything down because or Venture had been there because they are also doing upgrades to the technical navigation stuff that I personally do not understand. I also learned that Will Rogers and Wiley Post actually are great partners for the city. The meeting was held at the Servicenter's offices on the north side of the airport. They are expanding on there conference facilities. They are hoping to attract more stopover business as well as capitalizing on the central location as a place where larger corporations can meet. We were told that when larger corporations are looking to relocate they are looking for this type of airport to fly their corporate jets in and out of.