View Full Version : National Parks

jstanthrnme
06-22-2009, 01:07 AM
I've been to quite a few of our National Parks, and they are always the destination in any of my travel plans.
Most recentley I went to the Grand Canyon. In July I'm going to Rocky Mountain National Park. The reason: backpacking.

Previously, I've been to Zion NP, Bryce Canon NP, Carlsbad Caverns NP, Guadalupe Mtns. NP, Big Bend NP, and the Great Smoky Mountains NP. Plus many National Monuments, National Forests, National Battlefields, etc...

I'm always looking forward to a new adventure. With that, new ideas and opinions are necessary. Got any?

I have yet to make it to the far western National Parks or far northern.

Does anyone have suggestions, memories, or experiences with any of our National Parks?

td25er
06-29-2009, 11:34 AM
I've been to Acadia National Park near Bar Harbor, Maine. It was gorgeous.

jstanthrnme
07-01-2009, 08:01 PM
I've been thinking about this, is it possible that someplace in Oklahoma is worthy of National Park status? The Ouchita Mountains, Wichita Mountains, or Tallgrass Prairie, in my opinion could be considered, but not as a comparison to someplace like Yellowstone or Yosimite. Maybe the Painted Desert, or Voyagers NP, or Joshua Tree would be comparable to those.

It would make Tulsa and/or OKC (of Little Rock) a gateway city, instantly. Our National Parks are a huge draw for visitors from Europe.

Would their be to much confrontation from the paper company opperates out of SE OK, or from hunters, or ranching operations?

Midtowner
07-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Glacier in Montana is amazing.

jstanthrnme
07-01-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm hoping to go there sometime.

When I do I've allready got it all planned, Fly to Chicago and take Amtrak to west Glacier, where there is a hostel to stay at, then take the shuttle into the park and go backpacking for a week or so, then return the same way.

kevinpate
07-02-2009, 07:25 AM
For what we do presently have, see here:
Oklahoma National Parks (http://usparks.about.com/blpkok.htm)

I'm probably just selfish, but I'd prefer the Ouachitas to not take on NP status. So long as others think all OK is like western OK, the hills will remain more pristine for the locals.