View Full Version : Planning On Being at the Apple Store For iPhone 3GS Launch?

theilluminatedfirefly
06-18-2009, 04:54 PM
I just decided today (Thursday 6-18) that I'm going to take the iPhone 3GS plunge. Now I can't decide whether I should just order the iPhone online today with a 7-14 day wait time or take my chances with the local Apple Store for the 6-19-09 launch.

I'm not inspired enough to be one of those people there at 7 in the morning.

What do you think my odds are of getting a phone if I go in around 9am? I haven't heard what local retailers are expecting the demand to be.

Anyone heard anything?

narrowexpanded
06-18-2009, 05:12 PM
its tuff to say... i figure the push for the 3G S wont be quite as hardcore as recent releases, but i could be wrong. the big factor i think is that unlike other major cities, we only have one apple store...so everyone will converge on one location, right?

theilluminatedfirefly
06-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Will local ATT stores have the 3GS?

Luke
06-18-2009, 06:05 PM
I suggest Apple Store when they open. Apparently Apple has stopped allowing people to buy them online to make sure all the Apple Stores have plenty of supply. This is gonna be a big product release.

I just upgraded from my original iPhone to the 3G last week for $99. I'll be set for another couple years :)

bluedogok
06-18-2009, 07:41 PM
When the 3G came out the Apple Store in The Domain was nuts, the parking garage was fairly full when I got to work and the line ran down the street and around the corner. No such happenings this morning.

Easy180
06-18-2009, 07:41 PM
37 and married so I'm fairly certain I won't be at one

theilluminatedfirefly
06-19-2009, 03:46 AM
How does being 37 and married automatically preclude you from being at the Apple Store? I'm sure they'd still let you in. :)

BailJumper
06-19-2009, 06:25 AM
I don't get the attraction. Its cool gadget but why would I pay over $200 a month for my wife and I to have a cell phone? I'm a big Mac fan (typing on my iMac right now), but it just doesn't make financial sense to me.

CuatrodeMayo
06-19-2009, 07:13 AM
I pay $110 a month for our LG Shine and Apple iphone with ATT.

kmf563
06-19-2009, 07:14 AM
I'm a treo girl. I got my treo pre last week and love it. Wouldn't switch to an iphone for a million bucks.

Lord Helmet
06-19-2009, 08:08 AM
How does being 37 and married automatically preclude you from being at the Apple Store? I'm sure they'd still let you in. :)

I was wondering the same thing. I'm married and 37 and have been in the store many times. Hell, I've even stood in line for an iPhone :)

metro
06-19-2009, 08:12 AM
When the 3G came out the Apple Store in The Domain was nuts, the parking garage was fairly full when I got to work and the line ran down the street and around the corner. No such happenings this morning.

Well the original iPhone to 3G was a big deal and major switch, 3G to 3GS is not as big of a switch, especially when most of the updates can be made with a simple software upgrade.

metro
06-19-2009, 08:15 AM
I don't get the attraction. Its cool gadget but why would I pay over $200 a month for my wife and I to have a cell phone? I'm a big Mac fan (typing on my iMac right now), but it just doesn't make financial sense to me.

Then get one and don't pay $200 a month. Heck, I have one and pay $50 a month. Buy a refurbished one or off Ebay or craigslist, unlock or jailbreak it and you can run it on any GSM carrier. They run off wi-fi too, which almost anywhere you go has free wi-fi these days, so you could skip out on an data plan all together and just use wi-fi when available, that's what I do and have had no problems in getting service, very few places have I wanted to use it and no wi-fi available.

Lord Helmet
06-19-2009, 08:34 AM

My wife and I pay around $120/ month for our iphones IIRC.

Also...its hardly just a cell phone. It has literally replaced my laptop as the one thing that I can't function without. It's that useful.

bluedogok
06-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Well the original iPhone to 3G was a big deal and major switch, 3G to 3GS is not as big of a switch, especially when most of the updates can be made with a simple software upgrade.
I had my mornings confused, I figured that out when I pulled into the parking garage this morning and there were more cars than usual for 8:00am. When I got to the office I looked out the window and the line was less than half of what it was for the 3G launch.

The only way that I would get the new one is if my wife decided she wanted one, I would get a 3GS and give her mine...but that ain't happening, she just wants a phone and that's it.

Pstmstr
06-19-2009, 10:13 AM
I was there, got interviewed by news9 guy, waited in line from 7 until about 8:30. A friend of mine got his in less than 20 minutes at the AT&T store.

BailJumper
06-19-2009, 10:53 AM
When I last checked I'd need to do the unlimited plan at $99/month. x2 = $200.

I use about 2,000 minutes a month and the wife uses only about 300.

I was told if I jailbreak it I get no warranty or support.

Lord Helmet
06-19-2009, 11:15 AM
I was told if I jailbreak it I get no warranty or support.

I doubt that since you can restore it to factory condition even after jailbreaking it. However, I wouldn't take a jaibroken phone into the Apple store expecting support until I restored it.

SoonerDave
06-19-2009, 11:51 AM
So long as an iPhone marries me to ATT, they're not under consideration from me, period. Having heard that there may be overtures beginning between Apple and Verizon, that might pique my curiosity.

Even with, say, $50/month data plans on top of a voice plan, its really hard for me to justify $600/year for a single electronic gadget. To put it in context, I'd rather take that $600, pile another $600 with it, and pick up a Nikon D90 DSLR. Guess its just a matter of priorities, but I've not yet found my cellphone or the digital data possibilities a can't-live-without item yet..

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
06-19-2009, 02:16 PM
I was gonna get the 3gs at the att store today at 9 am

but iphones are for a different kinda people so i got the impression instead

Lord Helmet
06-19-2009, 11:49 PM
but iphones are for a different kinda people

Oh really? Please define just exactly what kind of person the iPhone is for?