View Full Version : Bricktown Candy Co.

metro
06-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Wow. I wonder with this opening up and CocoFlow opening very soon in the former Uncommon Grounds spot, if that will help move the retail sector forward in BTown.

http://www.newsok.com/bricktown-area-gets-sweeter-for-visitors/article/3378686?custom_click=pod_lead_local-financial-news

Bricktown area gets sweeter for visitors
Bulk candy, bottled soft drinks will be focus of sales at new shop
From Staff Reports
Published: June 18, 2009

http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/580757/lead620/
The doors to the new Bricktown Candy Co. PROVIDED BY BRICKTOWN CANDY CO.

Bricktown visitors will have a new place to satisfy their sweet tooth when Bricktown Candy Co. opens Friday.

The shop will sell many kinds of bulk candy — chocolate, sours, bubble gum, licorice, hard candy, jaw breakers and more — plus bottled soft drinks. In a few weeks, expect gelato to be added to the inventory, owner Justin Thomas said. "We’ll have a little bit of everything.”

Thomas said he’s wanted to open a candy store in Bricktown for years and added he isn’t worried about the economy affecting business.

"Candy is a recession-proof industry,” he said. "People actually buy more candy during a recession to make them feel good.”

Thomas, 40, grew up in Muskogee but has called Oklahoma City home for 20 years. The husband and father (of a 2-year-old and expecting a new baby in October) said he’s looking forward to adding more family-friendly retail to Bricktown.

The store opens Friday at 100 E California, above Jazmo’z Bourbon Street Cafe.

http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/580758/gallery_photo
Inside of Bricktown Candy Co., which opens Friday. PROVIDED BY BRICKTOWN CANDY CO.

Thunder
06-18-2009, 08:03 AM
Umm, the doors look old and damaged.

kevinpate
06-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Welll, it IS Bricktown after all. Not everything there will look all moderny. Whether they are aged doors, or just made to look like it, I don't evenr eally care, cause behind them is the CANDY! and that's whut's important ta moi.

CCOKC
06-18-2009, 05:13 PM
I have always thought this was a needed business in Bricktown. It seems like every tourist spot has something like this. I hope it does well.

jstanthrnme
06-18-2009, 05:40 PM
This is cool.
I remember going to Bricktown 20 + years ago with my grandmother to get Halloween candy from Bundt Candy(i think). Now, there is a canal where we parked (i think).

Watson410
06-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Awesome!! I bet Lamar Odom visits the store when the Lakers are in town next season! (That's if he resigns with the Lakers) I really think this will be a great addition to Bricktown... There's quite a few kids walking around with their parents in B-Town.

metro
06-19-2009, 08:22 AM
Awesome!! I bet Lamar Odom visits the store when the Lakers are in town next season! (That's if he resigns with the Lakers) I really think this will be a great addition to Bricktown... There's quite a few kids walking around with their parents in B-Town.

That's a very random thought. Why do you say that?

BDP
06-19-2009, 09:49 AM
Umm, the doors look old and damaged.

That's the first thing I noticed, too, except I thought "that's cool they left it that way".

Watson410
06-19-2009, 03:13 PM
That's a very random thought. Why do you say that?

Lamar Odom is the Candy Man!! Lol. Watch this video you'll see what I'm talking about... YouTube - Lamar Odom: The Candy Man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-3Pm2Z_RDw)

metro
08-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Popup Player | NewsOK (http://feeds.newsok.tv/services/player/bcpid1766638491?bctid=31664895001)

Jesseda
08-04-2009, 01:22 PM
i hope they have one of kind items like homemade items and experimental items, i love douple dipped cinnamon teddy grahams which i can only find up in guthrie ata candy store there

warreng88
08-04-2009, 03:56 PM
I talked to my friend Vienny Tran that runs Allaus Coffee and Gelato in Edmond. He said they are taking Gelato down about 3-4 times a week to Bricktown Candy Co.

Here is the original thread of Allaus if interested:

http://www.okctalk.com/food-restaurants/9659-allaus-coffee-gelato-edmond.html

Euphoria
08-04-2009, 04:07 PM
They have Beeman's Chewing Gum. That automatically rates them an A+ in my book.

Steve
08-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Folks, this is truly a family business - saw Justin today - he was with his wife and young daughter. I highly recommend giving this place a shot.

Urbanized
08-04-2009, 04:46 PM
After visiting with Justin a number of times and having more than a few Gummi worms and gelatos, I feel really good about his chances for success in Bricktown. I think he's doing the following things very well:

He has a concept that is a great fit considering the market (in my opinion).

He recognizes or at least was quick to accept that doing business in Bricktown is far different that doing business in most if not all other parts of town, specifically including the seasonality and the fact that Bricktown's season is basically OPPOSITE traditional retail's season.

He also has come in without a hint of arrogance regarding the "sure fire" nature of his business, eagerly picking the brains of people who have been around and successful for a while down here.

All of those things are the ingredients necessary for success down here, I believe. I think he's definitely on the right track.

Jesseda
08-05-2009, 07:34 AM
well im taking my niece who is visiting from cali (she will be down in a couple of weeks) im taking her to bricktown to her favorite place zios, she loves bricktown atmosphere, i hope this candy store sells made in oklahoma candy as well, i think it would be neat for her to buy and take back to cali for friends. She tells her friends all the time how great okc is, she is 13 so visiting from san diego and her saying she loves what okc hasto offer, its pretty neat to me..

Urbanized
08-05-2009, 07:59 AM
Despite his great selection, I don't think he has much for made-in-OK candy yet. Think one of the Candyopolis stores in a mall and you have an idea what his candy selection is like. I do think that he is planning on carrying Bedré Chocolate (made by the Chickasaw Nation) eventually. If he doesn't have anything from OK, grab some of his other great candy and then come over to our store, where we don't carry that much candy but do have the full line of Bedré. The Painted Door Gallery also carries a small selection of Bedré.

Jesseda
08-05-2009, 02:26 PM
since they are serving gelato, is there going to be places insideor outside to sit?

Steve
08-05-2009, 02:36 PM
They have indoor and outdoor seating.

Jesseda
08-05-2009, 02:49 PM
great, my family and i can have dinner at zios and top it off with dessert at the bricktown candy company, plus let the kiddos grab some things to go.. looks like a great family and tourist addition to bricktown..

Steve
08-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Jesseda, you can view a video of the place at my blog at OKC Central (http://www.okccentral.com).

the_Mont
08-05-2009, 03:19 PM
It'll be interesting to see what kind of seasonal candies they offer. I bet Halloween and Christmas will be great, not just the candy side but also the aesthetic side of the shop.

DM1031
08-05-2009, 04:01 PM
I went to a candy shop in Estes Park Colorado, they had the works, all kinds of caramel apples, toffee, big vats of candy you could watch cooking, thats what I want, but this will do, I love candy

CCOKC
08-06-2009, 09:08 AM
It seems every touristy shopping area I have ever been to has a candy store similar to what you are talking about. How about home made fudge. I think when people are on vacation they are much more willing to blow their diets I guess. I have always wondered why it took so long for bricktown to get a candy store? I even daydreamed about opening one myself. (Not that I would actually ever seriously do it for real)

Jesseda
08-06-2009, 01:45 PM
thanks steve, it all looks nice, i need to check out red dirt emporium as well, i love made in oklahoma products. the only other place i can finda large selection is at kayes of s 85th and western. steve if you do interviews outside of downtown i recommend kayes gift shop, the ladys that work it are so funny its like stepping into a scene from golden girls, they are so fun to be around, i have known them for oh 13 years now.