View Full Version : Myriad Gardens

so1rfan
06-16-2009, 08:25 AM
I took a brief stroll through the Myriad Gardens Sunday and the thought struck me, "Why is it still called the Myriad Gardens when the Myriad has been renamed the Cox Convention Center?

Then I got to thinking, why not change the name? Is there any reason we have to cling to the Myriad moniker?

Or what reason would we have to keep it?

Is there a civic leader the park could be renamed for? Dean McGee was the central figure behind the park and has a building named for him on the grounds already, he would have been my first choice. Patience Latting was the mayor at the time the when the groundwork for the Gardens was initiated but I'm not convinced she was a huge factor in it being built.

I am not proposing selling the name rights to the highest bidder either. No one would want to see "Sonic Gardens".

Just a thought I would like to throw out here for discussion.

Thunder
06-16-2009, 08:45 AM
I see no reason to rename it. It will always forever be the Myriad Gardens to me, the same as the Cox Convention Center will always forever be referred to as the Myriad.

krisb
06-16-2009, 09:34 AM
How about "Devon Park"?

rondvu
06-16-2009, 01:52 PM
It should have been called Scary Park. It was never inviting and friendly. The berms made it look like an unfriendly fortress. The pond at the bottom of the pit was not designed as a people place either. You walk so close to the edge you have to be careful so you don't fall in. Whatcha gonna do, go berm hiking? :kicking: . I never would go there alone because it's creepy. The neon signs never were lite and most of the facilities were never utilized. I know the history it was to have been designed after the Tivoli Gardens ya dah dah dah dah. I say "here here" :congrats: to Devon for having the guts to state and do something about the obvious. It would be an honor if the city decided to rename the park in their honor. There plans are right on the money and will certainly bring people to the park. Here's to DEVON PARK.

Platemaker
06-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Are we really discussing this??? It should ALWAYS Myriad Botanical Gardens. And regarding the Cox Center's renaming... it's a shame that we live in a world that requires all arenas and such to have a corporate name plastered on the side.

Devon Park..... c'mon the only thing worse would be NoCoSho Park. (North of Core to Shore)

Midtowner
06-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Not everything in the city needs to be named after a corporation and not everything needs to be constantly renamed. Someone named Myriad at one time apparently did a lot for the city. That's why things are named after him. It'd be an insult to his past generosity to the people of OKC to remove his name from something he obviously had something to do with just because he's gone.

There are plenty of things in this city which already are and will be named after Nichols, McClendon, Devon, Chesapeake, etc. Let's not tear down the past every time something new comes along.

windowphobe
06-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Ah, yes, good old Jonathan Abner Tobias Myriad, the fellow who decided it would be okay to name a hotel Biltmore, inasmuch as the Vanderbilts would never, ever find out. You gotta honor a guy like that.

Stan Silliman
06-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Cox Gardens? Then it could compete with MacArthur Park.

nik4411
06-16-2009, 04:53 PM
On the north side of the park at the head of the stream area that feeds down into the pond theres that area under the walkway that is empty and looks like they have done work in the past but stopped...why couldnt they do something with that and what used to be in there?

Midtowner
06-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Ah, yes, good old Jonathan Abner Tobias Myriad, the fellow who decided it would be okay to name a hotel Biltmore, inasmuch as the Vanderbilts would never, ever find out. You gotta honor a guy like that.

If that's who it was, why does that matter? Companies come and go. No need to rebrand the city every time one of them happens to build something here.

If Devon is willing to pay big money for the naming rights, fine.

so1rfan
06-16-2009, 05:24 PM
You made that up. (OK , I had to research it so ...good one.) the Myriad Gardens was named after "The Myriad" which is latin for 10,000. (or something like that.) and means "a great number."

Why not change the name? We changed the name of the river didn't we?

Luke
06-16-2009, 05:34 PM

Yeah, how 'bout something real creative like "Oklahoma Gardens!"

;)

SWOKC 4 me
06-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Keep it the Myriad Gardens/Myriad Botanical Gardens. This is a great name and is unique.

And yes I too still call the Cox center the "Myriad" and wish it had never been changed or the name Myriad incorporated into the new name such as the Cox Myriad convention center. Kind of like they did for the SBC Bricktown Ballpark (thank you SBC for keeping the name Bricktown Ballpark in that name).

krisb
06-16-2009, 10:57 PM
I was just kidding about Devon Park...although this city's economic engine would hardly be running without them.

foodiefan
06-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Ah, yes, good old Jonathan Abner Tobias Myriad, the fellow who decided it would be okay to name a hotel Biltmore, inasmuch as the Vanderbilts would never, ever find out. You gotta honor a guy like that. ROFL:fighting2

westsidesooner
06-17-2009, 08:41 AM
Keep it the Myriad Gardens/Myriad Botanical Gardens. This is a great name and is unique.

And yes I too still call the Cox center the "Myriad" and wish it had never been changed or the name Myriad incorporated into the new name such as the Cox Myriad convention center. Kind of like they did for the SBC Bricktown Ballpark (thank you SBC for keeping the name Bricktown Ballpark in that name).

Don't you mean the "incomparable" Myriad.

Hell....I still call Homeland.......Skaggs.

Keep the name the same.....I like the Myriad gardens name....

BDP
06-17-2009, 09:00 AM

You answered your question with a question.

bombermwc
06-17-2009, 10:01 AM
Why screw with it? Is there something wrong with it? It's a civic project that doesn't get outside funding. Keep in mind that the TIF money is what Devon is asking to use. But don't for a second think that they are only doing it out the goodness of their corporate hearts. They benefit by having it right in front of their HQ's so updates to the park help their building's image. Otherwise, why wouldn't they have been just giving money (and not requesting TIF monies be directed to it)? They don't have a halo just because they are a big name in energy.

It's the last name we've got that isn't bought out. It's something that is unique to OKC. We didn't name our places "the forum", "the center at ___", "blah blah park". Now that the arena has been renamed, "Myriad" is the last vestige of origionality. So why plaster some damned corporate name on it? If they want to give money, they can have their name stuck on a plaque somewhere as a donor.

I'll mirror the other comments about, just because someone new rolls around, it doesn't mean we need to erase what we had in the past. That was Pei's concept...tear it down for something new. Newer is always better, isn't it? (sarcasm).

But to rondvu - I'm not sure what partk you walked around in, but every time I've been there, I've enjoyed myself. The plants were lush and green, the paths were clear and well lit, the pond didn't stink. And BTW, it's SUPPOSED to be close to the water. If you think you're going to fall in, perhaps you should see a doctor about balance issues. I don't know that I've ever heard of ANYONE falling in (if they weren't goofing around). People fall in Gorilla cages with rails...but anything like that would detract from the view. Go down on a Saturday afternoon with the kids, have a picnic, and play. You'll find many familes there doing the same, and lots having pictures taken as well.

rondvu
06-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Bomber, was this really necessary.......? But to rondvu - I'm not sure what partk you walked around in, but every time I've been there, I've enjoyed myself. The plants were lush and green, the paths were clear and well lit, the pond didn't stink. And BTW, it's SUPPOSED to be close to the water. If you think you're going to fall in, perhaps you should see a doctor about balance issues. I do not have balance issues and yes, I have seen people fall in that were not impaired or inebriated? I am an experienced gardener and even won Yard of the month several times when I lived in Midwest City. I do know the difference between a pansy and a petunia. I am also well traveled and have been blessed to have the opportunity to visit many beautiful parks in the U.S. and abroad. The just two of the MANY parks I have visited ,Salzburg Mirabell Park and Kensington Park in London were more people friendly and had many amenities that encouraged visitors. I am not finding fault with Allan Storjohann he and his staff are doing a fantastic job with what they have to work with including budget. Lifestyles and needs change. I was giving my thoughts on better utilizing the acreage inside the park. The following is a cut and paste from one of Doug's pages. You will see what the city leaders had planned for the space. As you can see most was ignored or left out. These additions would have brought more people to the park.

June 2, 1972, Oklahoma Journal article announced on page 1 that,

$17 Million 'People's Park Plan Unveiled

Perhaps the most imaginative dream for a people's park in the heart of a large American city was unveiled Thursday as the plan for Oklahoma City's Myriad Gardens. Local officials say they hope to reach for the stars and have most of the park finished by 1976.
Everything from a children's zoo to an ice skating pond and including a 30 foot deep canyon, a two-acre lake, botanical gardens, a sports hall of fame, a classic car museum, arts and science centers, a planetarium, a cluster of restaurants and movie houses, museums and a new Main Library for Oklahoma City is included in the Gardens plan.
A Phase Two plan for the gardens will extend east to Shartel and triple the park's size to a total of 33 acres.

:backtotop

bombermwc
06-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Well if you're going to start bashing the place, then yes it was neccessary. You don't have to be a horticulturist to appreciate a garden. And it doesn't have to have every square inch populated with plants. The open space of grass serves a purpose. Maybe you missed the kids playing frisbee or ball while their parents watch?

I'm not going to say that they couldn't improve it, but you tried to make the place sound like a pile of crap that was unsafe to be at. And that's just absolutely NOT true.

Patrick
06-18-2009, 11:46 AM
I actually asked city leaders about a name change when Cox bought the rights to the convention center. They agreed with most of you here......why change the name???....if it isn't broke, don't fix it. If they changed it, it would probably be the same as every other city and just be called Oklahoma City Botanical Gardens. I prefer Myriad...sounds more interesting, and there are a "myriad" of plants and gardens there.

metro
06-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Actually the consultants are suggesting dropping "Botanical" from the name, because it isn't a true botanical gardens and is misleading.

FritterGirl
06-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Actually the consultants are suggesting dropping "Botanical" from the name, because it isn't a true botanical gardens and is misleading.

Where are you coming up with THIS idea? Not what I've been hearing.

metro
06-18-2009, 01:22 PM
I've heard a few consultants mention it for the reason posted above, it's not a true botanical gardens and can be misleading. Out of curiosity, what ARE you hearing?

FritterGirl
06-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Too early to repeat anything. Sorry.

so1rfan
06-18-2009, 02:24 PM
I prefer Myriad...sounds more interesting, and there are a "myriad" of plants and gardens there.

Good point.

rondvu
06-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Bomber I don't understand why you are so upset with me posting my opinion. I am sorry you think it is bashing. Did your deceased Grandfather design it on his death bed, help me understand your rudeness? I don't get why you are hypersensitive. I believe some time ago you stated you lived in the original mile square. Aren't you an official Midwest City resident, not Oklahoma an Oklahoma City resident. I guess we can discuss further Lions park on the east side of your neighborhood or Regional Park perhaps. I would appreciate if you would show me me and other fellow posters the respect we deserve, including you. In the big picture does anyone really care what you or I have to say? ONCE AGAIN I SAY Lifestyles and needs change. If things did not change you would still be shopping and the old Mid American Center on 29th.

Platemaker
06-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Where are you coming up with THIS idea? Not what I've been hearing.

Metro, did you get that from what Jon Pickard said at the mayor's roundtable.

bombermwc
06-19-2009, 10:50 AM
rondvu - I lived in the Mile when I was little. Now I live in OKC. And I don't feel I need to explain my opinion any more than you do yours. I still feel you made an unfair assesment of the Gardens. I do happen to have a special connection there that I in no way feel the need to express to you either.

rondvu
06-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Why I remembered where you lived was I lived in the mile square from 84-02. I bought as the Penn SQ / oil bust was unfolding and never really recouped what I paid for the place. Did you know the Cochran's or the Owens, very nice folks? There is a lot of history in that square. Most folks never realized that the streets we in alphabetical order from 29th going north. It started at Aeronica moving up to Northrup. At one time I petitioned city hall to have Original Mile Square signs on the entrances to the neighborhood. They voted the money to go to the Mid-Del group home which was a better choice. I spent quite a bit of time looking at the old pics in the MWC blog as well and the history of the neighborhood. Hopefully you did too. I lived in Veterans Village or Speckman Heights. A long time ago; Mr. Speckman was buried approximately where Lions Park is located. Let me ask you this, where the apartments were on Douglas just off Air Depot, what was there before the apartments were build in the early 80's? Enough of MWC we can move that to that blog. Have a wonderful day.

Platemaker
06-20-2009, 12:26 AM
metro - seriously now. Is ther a chance that the Myriad Garden could be renamed?