View Full Version : Cable Modem for Cox, etc.

Hollywood
06-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Hello, I have just scored a new job in the metro so the time has come to move home to Edmond from Stillwater. While living in Stillwater, accessed the net on my laptop via a built in ATT wireless card. Now that I will be more settled I am upgrading to using cable.

I have browsed he board a bit in an effort to answer my own question and found a little bit but it was quite dated and obviously technology changes daily.

I am looking for opinions from those more Techy than myself of what would be a solid and reliable cable modem for use with Cox's service. Should it matter, I am not getting phone. Just net and television.

In addition, what wireless router have you found to work best in a home WiFi setup in connection with a cable modem? I am considering the Apple 1TB Time Capsule for its router and backup ability but am open to others recommendations.

As far as setting up the system within my apartment, I think I have found what I need via Google so I won't bother you with that request.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Karried
06-14-2009, 11:53 AM
It has been a while since we first started Cox service but when we signed up they provided the Cable and Modem that works with their system ( Motorola) and the Linksys handles the router portion of it pretty seamlessly. Nothing fancy and we have good internet service with few interruptions.

You can specify which speed you want depending on how much you want to pay for Internet service.

Hollywood
06-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Thanks, it has been a number of years since I lived in the Metro, last was in 2002 and I recall my father upgrading and purchasing a cable model to use in lieu of the provided one. Was wanting to make sure that they (1) still provided one and perhaps the quality has increased and (2) that the option would still be there to self upgrade in one wished.

May just go with a provided one if it has worked out for others such as yourself and give it some time to evaluate what equipment my net usage may require.

Thank you.

OKCDrummer77
06-14-2009, 01:54 PM
I'll second what Karried said. I, too, have the Cox-provided Motorola modem and Linksys wireless router. After 2 1/2 years, I am more than satisfied with it. Downtime for more than a few minutes has been a rare exception.

Hollywood
06-15-2009, 01:00 PM
I'll second what Karried said. I, too, have the Cox-provided Motorola modem and Linksys wireless router. After 2 1/2 years, I am more than satisfied with it. Downtime for more than a few minutes has been a rare exception.

Thank you, I'll go with the provided modem to begin with. Simplifies things and can always upgrade in the future.

narrowexpanded
06-15-2009, 07:29 PM
yeah, the modem from Cox is more than sufficient. And as far as routers go, Linksys and Netgear are generally the most highly recommended, although my former CC Firedog Tech friend used to say all routers are the same, even the cheap ones, as long as you know how to properly set them up and tweek them to your specifications. With that having been said, IMO Apple products, though more expensive, are always the way to go if it fits your needs and you dont mind paying the extra $$$ for the extra quality.

SoonerQueen
01-05-2010, 01:58 AM
We use the Cox modem and a Linksy's router as well. We have to reboot the router every now and then, but it works great.